Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-22-07, 04:04 PM   #37
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Default Re: Sony Risks Falling Out of Console Battle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel_us
Well I'm not even trying to say that the 360 has less or start a versus match. I'm just saying that people need to stop acting like Sony has no more games. They've never really been built around a certain franchise.
I know; I was just beeing curious as my xbox360 has been collecting dust sitting on the shelf waiting for crackdown and halo3... ^^
Old 02-22-07, 04:22 PM   #38
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?

this thread is funny as you see fan boys of both sides coming out of the wood work.

I think its funny to call this article bias when outside of this thread most of you all agree that Sony is in trouble if they don't get games out there to make the system more attractive.

The funniest part in some of this is that people constantly knock the Wii as a fad and going to die, but it is kicking more ass in sales than the other two systems. the 360 has the advantage of time to make it have the highest install base, but if people could find the Wii, their numbers would be a lot higher.

GTA is not a PS selling point anymore. GTA V will come out on the same time, or come out first on the 360.
-"Aqua 2": Water Cooled Intel i7 960, 12 GB DDR3 PC 12800, 3x Intel X-25-M 80 GB SSD RAID 0, SATA 1.5TB WD, EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Supper Clocked Water Cooled, ASUS P6X58D, Corsair 800D w/ Koolance cooling
thor1182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-07, 05:16 PM   #39
Imbroglio
xeroyphyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
The PS3 in the month of Jan sold 240K, The X360 sold 290K... Seems like its doing pretty good. This is after the holidays so it shows that the PS3 is still selling well when compared to a console that has more titles and more units in stock.
you can not compare sells units from January as the same from both sides.

Let's look at it this way, we all know the ps3 has a decent availability rate, i read somewhere it has ~60% availability rate, meaning every other store you go to will have _some_. take from that the statistical carryover from the month of december where those consumer who wanted a console could not find one. being a math major i refuse to put any type of amount on that strictly because it could be as low as 5% and as high as 75% given the availability rate of the ps3 in the month of december. so from those 240k ps3s sold, we'll say 1/4 of them are carryover sales just for the sake of the arguement (low enough where it will still prove my point, but no where near unrealistic). so of those 240k consoles sold ~80k are carryover sales (more than likely more) giving a gross interest sale of about 160k, now compare that number to a readily available number of 290k which are infact gross sales, because there is no december(holiday) carryover as the console was readily available. now lets compare 290k to 160k, a 1.8 to 1 sale rate and that is based on a relatively low ps3 holiday carryover, so it is possible that the rate could be higher than a 2:1 rate. What does that say about your ps3? it says it more than likely is not selling nearly as well as it appears the numbers would say. Given this availability rate of 60% and raising, it'll be interesting to see what the February number hold for the ps3, as the holiday careover sales dwindle out.

HT: 360 -- Sony60A3000 -- Onkyo SR605 --> Polk cs2, monitor 60s and monitor 40s w/ Bic F12 sub -- PS3
XBL:Mr X3r0 -- PSN:Mr_X3r0

Rig- Asus P6X58D Premium - intel i7 920 @3.6 - EVGA GTX570 - Corsair HX1000 - Prolimatech Mega Shadow - WD640 - COOLER MASTER ATCS 840 - OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 1600*

Imbroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-07, 05:21 PM   #40
OWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor1182
this thread is funny as you see fan boys of both sides coming out of the wood work.
Yeah, these petty threads bring out the worst in us but overall I think the console forum has been much better lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor1182
I think its funny to call this article bias when outside of this thread most of you all agree that Sony is in trouble if they don't get games out there to make the system more attractive.
It could be the vibe of the article. It doesn't seem to be saying anything new and seems more like it's just trying to create a negative vibe. I feel like the Inq. does that with a few companies (Nvidia being one of them).

Consoles never have much to offer when they're first released and it seems obvious that for them to succeed they need to get new content out there (good content, that is). As far as losing money on them, MS has proven that if you're committed to the platform and keep dumping the money into it, it can succeed. I seem to remember reading similiar articles about the original xbox. MS was considered the underdog and was selling it at a loss trying to create a user-base for their platform. It seems to be working out okay for them so I guess I don't see what's new about that either. To me, it just seems like a role reversal since MS has the more established console this time and it's Sony having to fight the uphill battle.

So, I guess my point is, the article seems pointless at this time. Yeah, if a year or two later, Sony hasn't made any headway, if they're having trouble getting developers to support the console, if the games they have aren't any good, then start predicting doom. I don't know...the article just seems like it was written a year or two early to me but I do realize the Inq likes to try to be first with predictions so they can go back later and say told ya so.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-07, 05:48 PM   #41
Quickstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiKiMaN1
People must love the PS3 in Florida, because here in Utah it sits. I was at EBGames in downtown SLC on Saturday and they had 7 consoles that had been there all week according to the store manager. Over at my local Walmart that I just got back from 3 just sitting there. 2 20GB and 1 60GB.

It might differ from location to location, but I honestly know of not 1 person here in Utah that owns a PS3 besides my Dad (I must not know a lot of people ). Now as far the Wii or 360 goes...well 3 people at my work have Wii's (shelled out the cash on eBay), and 8 guys have 360's. But not one soul has PS3 nor wants one. I live in a college town so you would think at least someone would want the console. Mind you there are only 22 people at my office.

Maybe I'm wrong and PS3 is selling amazingly, but not where I'm from.
Mormons aren't allowed to have fun. Its against their religion
Quickstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-07, 05:52 PM   #42
TiKiMaN1

Talking Re: Sony Risks Falling Out of Console Battle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel_us
How do you know they lost those games if they were never officially announced as exclusives. You could argue the same for Oblivion, Saints Row, GRAW and Enchanted Arms on 360. VF5 I'll give you since VF4 was only on PS2 but that game isn't really a system seller. MGS is huge but it's not the only huge franchise Sony has.
It sure seemed to be brodcasted by Sony last E3 that UT3 and Assassins Creed would be PS3 exclusives. More especially with Epic doing that tech demo for the PS3 a while back. For the longest time UT3 was a PS3 and PC game only until recently.

The point of this thread is totally not to dis on Sony or the PS3. The market is fantastic right now in my opinion and it would not be the same without Sony. It is a very good time to be a gamer. I'm just hoping that none of these consoles are showing signs that they will be the next Sega Dreamcast.
TiKiMaN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-07, 05:54 PM   #43
TiKiMaN1

Talking Re: Sony Risks Falling Out of Console Battle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstar
Mormons aren't allowed to have fun. Its against their religion
Right.....
TiKiMaN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-07, 06:30 PM   #44
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

I still haven't been able to get an answer as to the take rate of the 20 GB PS3 versus the 60 GB. The 20s are still nowhere to be found. I've heard that Sony was losing more money on the 20s and that those models were only supposed to be around for the launch.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-07, 06:40 PM   #45
Marvel_us
FOOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiKiMaN1
It sure seemed to be brodcasted by Sony last E3 that UT3 and Assassins Creed would be PS3 exclusives. More especially with Epic doing that tech demo for the PS3 a while back. For the longest time UT3 was a PS3 and PC game only until recently.

The point of this thread is totally not to dis on Sony or the PS3. The market is fantastic right now in my opinion and it would not be the same without Sony. It is a very good time to be a gamer. I'm just hoping that none of these consoles are showing signs that they will be the next Sega Dreamcast.
The PS3 tech demo benefited Epic in selling their engine. They had a tech demo in Gears of War for Xbox360 but they needed to show how versatile UE3 was multi-platform wise so they pimped the PS3 version.

Call it what you want I guess but I don't think the situation is as big as people are making it out to be.

60gb PS3 Owner
PSNid: Marvel_us
Marvel_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 08:04 AM   #46
sweetmate

So after Sony took a dump on Europe and specifically UK by delaying the launch AND charging insane prices (UK 60GB PS3 is 425=$832, 360 Premium is 280=$548) they have now decided to remove the PS2 Hardware from the console to remove PS2 backwards compatibility, replacing it with a software emulator (after the amount of stick they gave MS for going the software emulation route with the 360).

So thats 98% of PS2 games compatible with US and Japan PS3s, but in Europe we are going to get "a handful of titles" via firmware downloads.

To be honest the way Sony are conducting themselves they deserve to fall out the console business, they don't deserve the mountains of customers and revenue they (used to) make from playstation, not when they treat them like this.

Press Release
sweetmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 09:05 AM   #47
Marvel_us
FOOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmate
So after Sony took a dump on Europe and specifically UK by delaying the launch AND charging insane prices (UK 60GB PS3 is 425=$832, 360 Premium is 280=$548) they have now decided to remove the PS2 Hardware from the console to remove PS2 backwards compatibility, replacing it with a software emulator (after the amount of stick they gave MS for going the software emulation route with the 360).

So thats 98% of PS2 games compatible with US and Japan PS3s, but in Europe we are going to get "a handful of titles" via firmware downloads.

To be honest the way Sony are conducting themselves they deserve to fall out the console business, they don't deserve the mountains of customers and revenue they (used to) make from playstation, not when they treat them like this.

Press Release
They didn't say "handful of titles", while limited yes, it's still unknown how much of the PS1/PS2 catalog will still be compatible.

It's really strange they would use a premature software emulation fix so soon. It was a matter of time before they went that route but at the expense of pissing off more gamers? They basically just added more fuel to the fire for people to talk crap about them. I don't live in the UK so it doesn't bother me much but I question the decision making skills Sony has made with the PS3.

60gb PS3 Owner
PSNid: Marvel_us
Marvel_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 09:13 AM   #48
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?

They are acting in such a way to give people like me who don't like Sony fuel to use to show how dumb they are, and making the people in the Sony camp believe the negative stuff the other two camps are spewing out.
-"Aqua 2": Water Cooled Intel i7 960, 12 GB DDR3 PC 12800, 3x Intel X-25-M 80 GB SSD RAID 0, SATA 1.5TB WD, EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Supper Clocked Water Cooled, ASUS P6X58D, Corsair 800D w/ Koolance cooling
thor1182 is offline   Reply With Quote