Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-22-07, 07:07 PM   #1
kevJ420
*BANNED*

Default which 2 consoles aged the best? the worst?

i just wanted others' opinions. i think the genesis and super nes aged the best. the ps1 the worst, and i can't think of another one that aged as poorly as the ps1 (which was actually a positive for the ps1, i'll explain.)

genesis aged extremely well, because look at later games like vectorman, adv. batman & r and ristar and a few of the later sega cd games (wild woody, adv batman & robin, eternal champions, many other good looking games in 95, the sega cd's final year.) then in the middle (1991-92) you've got the streets of rage 2, terminator, and jewel master (improved in the middle), then look at some of the 1st games, (forgotten worlds, golden axe aren't very good arcade translations, although most games on genesis with arcade origins weren't good ports either, but anyways) although a lot of the 1st games were impressive b/c the genesis when it first came out (and the turbo grafx/pc engine) blew the nes and master system away, graphics wise. sega and the genesis was what got me into games b/c the nes just didn't have the flash of it's successors. long story made short.

super nes, look at super mario world and final fight 1, then in 95 yoshi's island, chrono trigger, final fight 3 and dkc 2.

playstation aged worst imo b/c it was the most impressive console ever. look at battle arena toshinden1 and tekken 1 and warhawk and the ultra impressive mk3 conversion at the beginning, it made the snes and genesis versions look like ****. then 3 years later still nothing looked significantly better than the launch games. but that's the price of being the most impressive console ever. the ps2 was popular and the ps3 is powerful, but no console was ever as impressive as sony's 1st born console.
kevJ420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-07, 09:54 PM   #2
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Default Re: which 2 consoles aged the best? the worst?

I think PS2 aged very well... Just look at games like God of War and God of War 2... they look pretty amazing considering how dated the technology is.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-07, 10:02 PM   #3
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevpla1@cox.net

playstation aged worst imo b/c it was the most impressive console ever. look at battle arena toshinden1 and tekken 1 and warhawk and the ultra impressive mk3 conversion at the beginning, it made the snes and genesis versions look like ****. then 3 years later still nothing looked significantly better than the launch games. but that's the price of being the most impressive console ever. the ps2 was popular and the ps3 is powerful, but no console was ever as impressive as sony's 1st born console.
So don't agree with this. The PSX aged very well, look at Chrono Cross which was one of the last RPGs to release and looks leaps and beyond better then Beyond the Beyond or even Final Fantasy VII/VIII. Look at the Resident Evils, the first one looks like crap when compared to the third one... or look at Tekken... the original is unplayable when compared to Tekken 3 which for the PSX was able to pull off a very close to arcade look.
Old 02-22-07, 10:20 PM   #4
buffbiff21
*B4NNED*

Aged the best: SNES/Genesis era. These are the games that I keep gonig back to play. Maybe it was because I grew up on this stuff, but they are my favs.

Aged the worst: pre NES/SMS era. Anything before NES just flat out sucked.
Old 02-22-07, 10:30 PM   #5
Stoneyguy
Mechwarrior

Send a message via MSN to Stoneyguy

best:
1)2600 - Pacman, missile command, pitfall, asteroids, ect.
2)NES - Super Mario Bros. and just about any other game by Nintendo

worst:
1)Jaguar - though I only played a few games on it, they sucked when they were new
2)Sega CD - those FMV games were really lame
Stoneyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-07, 10:37 PM   #6
MustangSVT
Stop looking at me

I think the PS2 has aged pretty well.

The PS2 started ok as far as I'm concerned. Then later in its life (2005) came out Gran Turismo 4, a very good game, and then Guitar Hero and now we've got Guitar Hero II and there have been a few other recent good games like Kingdom Hearts II and some others.

2. Q9550 @ 3.7, ASUS P5K, Galaxy 8800GT G92, 2GB Mushkin DDR2-1066, Samsung 710N + Samsung 205BW, Audigy 2 + SB Live! 5.1 (hooked up together, really), dad's comp

3. XP-M 2500+ @ 205x11.5, Gigabyte nForce2-400, GeForce4 Ti4200, 2x512MB OCZ DDR-400 "Premier", oldie
MustangSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 03:13 AM   #7
Bad_Boy
god of war.

Send a message via AIM to Bad_Boy

I think N64 and then PS1 aged the worst, and PS2 aged the best. The first round of 3d graphics just dont hold up like they used to. But the PS2 graphics just kept improving as life went on, more so than the xbox and gamecube imo.
Old 02-23-07, 09:35 AM   #8
hazindu

I think the SNES and the PSX aged the best. I'm still playing games from both systems every now and then.

If your talking about graphics, then no system has or ever will age gracefully, however I would say that the PSX and Saturn by far aged the worst due to their lack of texture filtering.

Old 02-23-07, 10:08 AM   #9
Edge
3d animator for hire!

PS2 probably "aged" the best (although I'd just call it improved the most over it's lifetime), but that's partly just because most of the games that were released early in its lifetime looked pretty horrid. Ugh, how they couldn't manage to get the early games running at a full 640x480 I'll never know, even the Dreamcast could at least manage that feat over a year learly. Saturn definitely applies as well for a similar reason, although the graphics weren't absolutely terrible for their time at launch, but they clearly didn't exploit much of the system's power until my later in the system's life.

As far as games that recieved the smallest upgrade in graphical capability, I'd have to say Gamecube and N64 primarily. They both had some great looking launch games for their time, but the improvements over the 4-5 years from when they were released weren't as drastic as other consoles. Conker on the N64 and RE4 on the Gamecube probably pushed the systems to their limits, but even then you'd kinda expect a bigger jump from the launch games like Mario 64 and Rogue Leader, respectively.

I disagree with the PS1 not increasing much over time however. Metal Gear Solid was a pretty noticable leap above earlier games released for the system, and especially racing games improved quite a bit. Ridge Racer to Gran Tourismo was a pretty good upgrade, and they even had a bonus disc in Ridge Racer 4 that let you play the original Ridge Racer at double the framerate. Although it does seem that it reached its graphical apex in 1998 or so, after that it was pretty stagnant graphically.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 10:13 AM   #10
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?

I think the xbox aged pretty well. There were games that certainly looked a lot better towards the end of its life.

Things that improved for the xbox 1:
- Some would say the introduction of the s controllers
- Xbox Live (the current standard for online game play)
- Look at the difference from PGR1 to PGR2
- Halo to Halo 2
- Mechassault to Mech 2 (even though I dislike mech 2 multi, it did look a ton better)
-"Aqua 2": Water Cooled Intel i7 960, 12 GB DDR3 PC 12800, 3x Intel X-25-M 80 GB SSD RAID 0, SATA 1.5TB WD, EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Supper Clocked Water Cooled, ASUS P6X58D, Corsair 800D w/ Koolance cooling
thor1182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 10:33 AM   #11
|MaguS|

Anyone ever play GT in High Res mode... man that looked AMAZING for a PSX game... sure you were the only car on the track but with the capability to read road signs and a smooth 60FPS not came close at the time.
Old 02-23-07, 11:37 AM   #12
Zelda_fan

SNES
Gameboy
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote