Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-23-07, 11:47 AM   #13
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942
Default Re: which 2 consoles aged the best? the worst?

pfft. come on guys.. the Dreamcast is the only colsole that isnt even being produced, the creator doesnt want anything to do with it, and people are still creating games for it. talk about aging gracefully. now, the worst? how bout 3DO
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 03:11 PM   #14
kevJ420
*BANNED*

Everyone gave a great response. I was worried that saturnataku would might close it down. Great points as well. In fact i retract the ps1 aging the worst because i had forgot that gt and tekken 3 both looked pretty damn good in spring 98, magus had a great point. I actually bought tekken 3 the day it came out in 98, and the environments were very large, there was good lighting, the lack of filtering wasn't as apparent as most ps1 games and the models looked great. In fact my friend was very biased against the playstation and even he did say that tekken 3 was pretty damn good. he was a nintendo (64) fanboy if ever there was one.

I'd say the nes and master system aged the worst now.

The playstation 2 was totally unimpressive at launch, I agree w/ the person that made that point and said games looked better for the ps2.

I think xbox and the gc stayed the same mostly, the xbox b/c of it being a pc in a (x)box, which means you already know what you can/can't do from the very beginning.

Finally, the person that said the saturn got better at the end of it's US life made an excellent point. most people would say the saturn sucked b/c it was made by sega and that's just not true. panzer dragoon saga, last u.s. game, may 1998, looked better than just about any ps1 game at the time. w/ the saturn's (complicated, but excellent) architecture, it was never clear what a programmer could do in 3D.

One last thing, the Wii will not age well, technically. Everything about it is either known or can be predicted. It is unique only due to the controller, and that will become stale after a while. Plus no goldeneye on VC, b/c Microsoft owns Rare now. Sony will dominate once again when the price comes down, even thought it's worth it now. The Wii is not for the long term, it will have games which some will think are good, but they won't get better and better.
kevJ420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 03:12 PM   #15
kevJ420
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomy942
pfft. come on guys.. the Dreamcast is the only colsole that isnt even being produced, the creator doesnt want anything to do with it, and people are still creating games for it. talk about aging gracefully. now, the worst? how bout 3DO
The jaguar and neogeo will also never die.
Old 02-23-07, 03:20 PM   #16
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?

its too early to call who will do well this round. I think Sony has shoot itself in the foot to much to do well as easily as it did last time.

Go read the thread on Sony falling out of the console battle. You will see a lot of red flags in the Sony camp for things not being so rosy as you say they are.
-"Aqua 2": Water Cooled Intel i7 960, 12 GB DDR3 PC 12800, 3x Intel X-25-M 80 GB SSD RAID 0, SATA 1.5TB WD, EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Supper Clocked Water Cooled, ASUS P6X58D, Corsair 800D w/ Koolance cooling
thor1182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 10:17 PM   #17
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol

This is a toughy.

Aging the best would be the Xbox in my opinior. Check the difference between the original Halo and Sega GT 2001, and compare those against Halo2 and Forza Motorsport and Need For Speed: Carbon. There was a massive difference in the shaders used, and the performance on newer titles makes the games much more enjoyable.

Honestly, all the game systems that I've owned have aged really well. I can't think of one that stands out from the rest. I know the Gamecube started out tremendously strong with Rogue Squadron: Rogue Leader and Super Mario Sunshine, but if you compare that to games like Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, the use of newer shaders is very apparent. I would say the visual focus has shifted greatly over the last 4 years. It's shifted from raw triangle count and shadows to visuals that center more around pixel effects (distortion, believable water, color manipulation)

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 11:50 PM   #18
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?

personally I htink the system that ages the worst is a PC. I know we are not talking about them, but really they do age the worst.

Lets see, I sink 4k into a top of the line PC so I can play games @ native res on my LCD at a good frame rate... but wait, in only 2 months after I finish my PC a new game comes out and pushes me to possibly stop using 16k x 12k res. If I want to keep playing at that res, I have to dish out 800ish every 6 months or less to stay on top to play the newest games... No thanks, I'll, pass.

For my rig seen below, it was F.E.A.R. that pushed my system very close to that line where either I had to sacrifice texture and image quality to keep 16k x 12k or lower the res. I found that Q4 also would occasionally make the frame rates crawl. Also CoX after I8 would kick the piss out of my system, forcing me to lower the rez, or deal with 15 frames per second.

I get a new 360 game, and it will still play fine on my system that I bought last may.
-"Aqua 2": Water Cooled Intel i7 960, 12 GB DDR3 PC 12800, 3x Intel X-25-M 80 GB SSD RAID 0, SATA 1.5TB WD, EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Supper Clocked Water Cooled, ASUS P6X58D, Corsair 800D w/ Koolance cooling
thor1182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-07, 12:32 AM   #19
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevpla1@cox.net
I'd say the nes and master system aged the worst now.
Saying the NES aged the "worst" is really an uninformed statement.

You are going to tell me with a straight face that there isn't a world of difference between the original Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. 3?
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-07, 12:33 AM   #20
Zelda_fan

Quote:
One last thing, the Wii will not age well, technically. Everything about it is either known or can be predicted. It is unique only due to the controller, and that will become stale after a while. Plus no goldeneye on VC, b/c Microsoft owns Rare now. Sony will dominate once again when the price comes down, even thought it's worth it now. The Wii is not for the long term, it will have games which some will think are good, but they won't get better and better.
This same horse**** was said about the Wii launch, and Nintendo has proved that dead wrong. The Wii and it's "kiddy games" are here to stay whether you like it or not.

Old 02-24-07, 12:07 PM   #21
kevJ420
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan
Saying the NES aged the "worst" is really an uninformed statement.

You are going to tell me with a straight face that there isn't a world of difference between the original Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. 3?
look at how much better the then-new genesis was and look at how much better the turbo grafx was. compare shadow dancer to smb3. then smw was released in 90 for the super nes in japan. there's a difference between the smb and smb 3, just not the greatest. also smb3 could be reprogrammed by a small group of people at the time it was released. and that was one of their first projects. so john carmack IS superior to shigeru miyamoto. i like miyamoto and all, but i think his games get too much praise. keep in mind he doesn't work fast at all. sega released 5-star games like bimonthly on average from genesis thru the saturn. after all, beyond oasis and legend of oasis were 1 year apart and they are much better than zelda and 2 of my favorite games ever.
Old 02-24-07, 12:36 PM   #22
Zelda_fan

Quote:
look at how much better the then-new genesis was and look at how much better the turbo grafx was. compare shadow dancer to smb3. then smw was released in 90 for the super nes in japan. there's a difference between the smb and smb 3, just not the greatest. also smb3 could be reprogrammed by a small group of people at the time it was released. and that was one of their first projects. so john carmack IS superior to shigeru miyamoto. i like miyamoto and all, but i think his games get too much praise. keep in mind he doesn't work fast at all. sega released 5-star games like bimonthly on average from genesis thru the saturn. after all, beyond oasis and legend of oasis were 1 year apart and they are much better than zelda and 2 of my favorite games ever.
Maybe on a technical level, John Carmack is superior meaning that his game engines are capable of producing more "realistic" graphics, but as far as who makes better games, Miyamoto all the way. I don't think anyone will argue that Doom 3 is a better game than Twilight Princess.
Old 02-24-07, 01:00 PM   #23
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan
I don't think anyone will argue that Doom 3 is a better game than Twilight Princess.
I will.

Twilight Princess trounces Doom 3 easily. Twilight is one of the best, if not the best Zelda game to date. Anyone who is into puzzle/adventure games will surely agree.

Not to mention the graphics on Twilight Princess are brilliant for a gamecube game.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-07, 01:41 PM   #24
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol
I will.

Twilight Princess trounces Doom 3 easily. Twilight is one of the best, if not the best Zelda game to date. Anyone who is into puzzle/adventure games will surely agree.

Not to mention the graphics on Twilight Princess are brilliant for a gamecube game.
You realize that you're agreeing with me.