Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-25-07, 10:04 PM   #1
dreamhost

Default please help me setup my computer...

I put my system together a few weeks ago now, and have had nothing but trouble with it since day 1. I really don't understand the bios settings, even after reading through so many threads that my head is spinning.

It seems that I have the same equipment as a lot of other users here, and unfortunately a lot of the same problems. If anyone with a setup close to mine, that is running stable, could help I'd be so happy.

What I would really like is a good stable baseline to start with, and suggestions to tweak it from there for my equipment. I saved up for months to buy my equipment and would really like it to run like it's supposed to.

I've spent weeks with constant video driver crashes, and only after I found a thread suggesting to link/sync my ram has it stayed stable for more than an hour without the error. The problem is I believe my settings are much slower than before as the computer feels really slow now.

thank you in advance for any advice given.

equipment:
evga 680i
e6600
bfg8800gts
2gb corsair pc8500c5
raptor 10k boot drive
antec 650w ps
dreamhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-07, 11:18 PM   #2
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol
Default Re: please help me setup my computer...

So what's the problem? I've had lots of success with similar settings, but that's because I don't overclock unless I'm benching.

We need to know what your bios settings are and what you're confused about. That's how we can help you get this fixed, if it can be fixed.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-07, 11:54 PM   #3
Xion X2

Run your RAM speed at twice your FSB. That's pretty much all you need to know.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-07, 12:33 AM   #4
buffbiff21
*B4NNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhost
What I would really like is a good stable baseline to start with
how about Stock? You need to test all of your components before you start tweaking them.

Run EVERYTHING at stock, and run these:
Dual Orthos for 24 hrs (CPU), and Memtest86+ for 24 hrs. (RAM)

Quote:
I've spent weeks with constant video driver crashes,
Driver crashes? Are you getting BSODS? If so then I am almost 100% sure your RAM is faulty. Here http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
Run your RAM speed at twice your FSB. That's pretty much all you need to know.
yep However this is only if he is OCing. Test your components stock before attempting to OC

Honestly this sounds like bad memory to me. My old system's COrsair ram was faulty; go to their site and hit up RAM Guy on those forums and they will set you straight.
Old 02-26-07, 01:31 AM   #5
Amuro
Newtype Ace

Your RAM needs 2.2v, so make sure you give it enough voltage.
Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P80 Black | Intel Core i7-3960X @4.3Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4 x 4GB @1866Mhz CL9 |eVGA GTX 690 Hydro Copper | Cruscial M4 512GB SATA III SSD | WD VelociRaptor 300GB | Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB | Pioneer BDR-205BK 12x Blu-ray Burner | Creative x-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Sound Card | Corsair A1200 1200W PSU

Water cooled by Koolance ERM-3K3UC Cooling System
Amuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-07, 01:28 PM   #6
dreamhost

Here's my settings so far.
I turned sli memory off
frontside bus is at 1550
puts my ram at 387.5
ram is 2.1v
cpu is 1.4v
running linked and synced -only way I can keep from getting the stupid error about nvlddmkm failing. Turns out that vista somehow ties ram to the video card is my basic understanding. No matter what setting I try when not linked/synced I get errors.

If I try 1600fsb I can't make it through the first stage of 3dmark06, 1550 seems to be my cap. Prob is running vista64 I can't find a temp monitor anywhere that will run to show me my load temps. Only rely upon bios which is 32c idle

I turned my ram settings to 4 4 4 12
I really have no idea what those settings mean in laymans terms, just saw those numbers all over the place so I figured I'd try them.

If someone could explain what the 4 4 4 12 means, and how to 'step' it up or down I'd appreciate it. Meaning I don't know if 4 4 4 12, is faster than 5 5 5 15, etc... and if I want to make it even faster, what the next step to try is.

thanks for all the advice above. I did run orthos overnight and computer is stable.
Old 02-26-07, 01:31 PM   #7
dreamhost

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffbiff21
how about Stock? You need to test all of your components before you start tweaking them.

Run EVERYTHING at stock, and run these:
Dual Orthos for 24 hrs (CPU), and Memtest86+ for 24 hrs. (RAM)

Driver crashes? Are you getting BSODS? If so then I am almost 100% sure your RAM is faulty. Here http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=146

yep However this is only if he is OCing. Test your components stock before attempting to OC

Honestly this sounds like bad memory to me. My old system's COrsair ram was faulty; go to their site and hit up RAM Guy on those forums and they will set you straight.
I noticed in your sig that we have the same setup cpu/mb/ram wise. Can I ask what timings your using on your ram? Not for peak performance, but for 'stable' high performance, if there is a differance. And are you at 2.2v?

since I changed to link/sync I've not had one driver error so at least the ram seems to be ok. It's only when I try to run not linked/synced that I get the errors over and over again
Old 02-26-07, 02:24 PM   #8
SlieTheSecond

4-4-4-12 is faster than 5-5-5-15. But not by much.

If your ram is rated at 5-5-5-15 that is what you should be running it at for stability.

Don't go by what everyone else is running it at. Go by what the manufacture designed it to run at.

3D Mark 06: 12461 || 3D Mark 05: 18397 || 3D Mark 03: 40149
SlieTheSecond is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-07, 06:58 PM   #9
buffbiff21
*B4NNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlieTheSecond
Don't go by what everyone else is running it at. Go by what the manufacture designed it to run at.
qFT

Stop overclocking! I can bet a gold coin that this is faulty memory. If you are getting page fault BSODS and driver IRQ conflicts then that just undescores my theory.

Put your FSB at 1066. , vcore 1.35
Put your RAM at 1066. 5 5 5 12 or whatever. vdimm 2.2
Run the tests.
Old 02-26-07, 09:38 PM   #10
dreamhost

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffbiff21
qFT

Stop overclocking! I can bet a gold coin that this is faulty memory. If you are getting page fault BSODS and driver IRQ conflicts then that just undescores my theory.

Put your FSB at 1066. , vcore 1.35
Put your RAM at 1066. 5 5 5 12 or whatever. vdimm 2.2
Run the tests.
The only error I was getting was nvlddmkm stopping and restarting all the time. Not sure if that is a driver irq or not...
Once I put my box to linked/synced in the bios yesterday I have not had one single issue. Yeah it's slower than I had it, but very stable. Now I was just hoping to try and 'tweak' for more speed if possible.
IN the link/sync mode I can't get anywhere near 1066 on the ram as it puts the cpu way above what my cooling can handle.
Believe me, I am NO expert, not even close, just trying to describe how the computer has acted so far and what it's doing now.
IN a perfect world, I'd be able to run my ram at 1066, and oc my processor to 3.5/3.6 like most others here, but dont' think that's going to happen enless I find much better cooling or something else I am missing. I ran super pi, for the first time ever today and only hit 17mins which seemed way below what others are seeing with similar setups.

thnks so much for all the input. It's a huge learning experience and I'm really enjoying it. I'd still really like to understand what the ram timing numbers mean, and how each number effects performance, how to step it up/down, etc.
Old 03-02-07, 02:11 PM   #11
dreamhost

If someone has a moment, could you please explain ram timings and how to adjust them?
I read a number of posts by people running their fast ram at slower speeds with 'tighter' timings which actually made things run faster. I just don't understand where to start in adjusting them and what each of the numbers means.