Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-01-07, 12:34 PM   #37
UDawg
Retired spammer

Default Re: Vanguard... what an improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
Now you will have a minor experience loss. I'm not sure if this changes things, but you do lose experience. However, let me stress it is VERY VERY VERY small. Right now I think I can kill 3 things and get all my experience back. For comparison.

In Vanguard if you die, it will take you about 5 minutes(if that) to make up the experience lost.

In Everquest if you died at a high lvl, it would take you about 5-7 hours to make up experience lost.

Quite a difference.
That isn't that bad. Now does the experience scale with your level or does it increase much more the higher level you are?
UDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-07, 12:38 PM   #38
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDawg
That isn't that bad. Now does the experience scale with your level or does it increase much more the higher level you are?
not sure
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-07, 01:12 PM   #39
Xion X2

Quote:
The performance on my machine is still jittery. I will have mobs just pop up on me. My machine is two years old but it was a high end machine at that time. So yes I should have lower performance but it still is very bad. The engine still needs work.

Tell me you're joking...

Quote:
I will give the game a go for this month but I gotta tell ya. The idea of running back to your corps naked after you die is stupid.
You have to purchase binding stones. After you buy them, right click on them and on the piece of armor/weapon that you want to bind to you. That way you'll respawn with it on.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-07, 01:18 PM   #40
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

On Woefeather or whatever under the name of "Bartholomew Hunt"... tried so many names but they were all "taken"... I hate when it asks for a last name and yet it doesn't even matter for if it is "taken" or not... I am sure Klaus Barnabas is not taken when it is a completely made up name.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-07, 01:19 PM   #41
Xion X2

Quote:
Now you will have a minor experience loss. I'm not sure if this changes things, but you do lose experience. However, let me stress it is VERY VERY VERY small.
!?

I lose up to 6,000 experience points when I die and summon my corpse as opposed to running back and getting it. Most of the time it's equal to completing a top quest. I could fight 20 enemies and not make it up.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 03-01-07, 01:22 PM   #42
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
!?

I lose up to 6,000 experience points when I die and summon my corpse as opposed to running back and getting it. Most of the time it's equal to completing a top quest. I could fight 20 enemies and not make it up.
What kind of things are you fighting? I normally kill things around 3 lvls above me, so that could be why i get my exp back faster...
Old 03-01-07, 01:32 PM   #43
Xion X2

Quote:
What kind of things are you fighting? I normally kill things around 3 lvls above me, so that could be why i get my exp back faster...
Never less than one level above me. Often times two-three above me.

Picture the experience gauge on the bottom of your monitor from Vanguard. This is about how much I lose when I die at lvl 15:

|___________|

The only thing that makes that up is a good quest. I'd have to fight about 25-30 enemies to make up that amount as it seems to move at a nanometer at a time.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 03-01-07, 01:54 PM   #44
UDawg
Retired spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2

Tell me you're joking...
Joking about what, that my computer is 2 years old? I don't build computers every new tech generation. I usually play the same game for a year or two.

Quote:
You have to purchase binding stones. After you buy them, right click on them and on the piece of armor/weapon that you want to bind to you. That way you'll respawn with it on.
how much do binding stones cost?

Old 03-01-07, 01:55 PM   #45
UDawg
Retired spammer

Hold on, so now you guys are saying you do have a significant penalty for dying. Why penalize your xp at all? That is completely stupid.
Old 03-01-07, 02:06 PM   #46
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Hold on, so now you guys are saying you do have a significant penalty for dying. Why penalize your xp at all? That is completely stupid.
you do have an XP penalty. To my knowledge every MMORPG on the face of this earth besides WOW has an experience penalty of some kind. Hell, most RPG's period do. Like i said, its not major. I have no idea where Xionn is finding that the experience loss is that great because it really isnt.... I died a good 4 times just last night.
Old 03-01-07, 02:13 PM   #47
Xion X2

Quote:
you do have an XP penalty. To my knowledge every MMORPG on the face of this earth besides WOW has an experience penalty of some kind. Like i said, its not major. I have no idea where Xionn is finding that the experience loss is that great because it really isnt.... I died a good 4 times just last night.
Uhh, it is, Tyger. At least it is for me. I've been playing the game for 100+ hours and have died about a hundred times and have a pretty good idea by now.

Maybe it's different for different races? Although I don't see why that would be an issue.

But I do lose over 6,000 xp points when I die and don't recover my corpse, and fighting a few enemies certainly doesn't make up for it. I've pretty much resigned myself to ALWAYS recover my corpse if at all possible, otherwise I would never level up because it takes so much xp away.

I fought about 20 wyverns that were 3 lvls above me on my last level and gained about as much as I would from a good quest. It takes me quite a while. I don't know what we're doing differently.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 03-01-07, 02:18 PM   #48
Xion X2

Quote:
Joking about what, that my computer is 2 years old?
No, joking about you expecting a 2 y/o computer to run a game smoothly that was just released using the Unreal engine and graphical effects we've never seen before---like volumetric clouds, for instance.

I had a kickass Dell computer a little over two years ago that would get its ass kicked by most modern day games now. The tech advances a little faster than that, and you have to keep up with it.

Not saying that Vanguard's well optimized, because it isn't, but most games out there won't run smoothly on a 2-year old machine w/ decent graphics settings.

Quote:
how much do binding stones cost?
Not much. Like 30 bronze.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz