Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-01-07, 02:34 PM   #49
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Default Re: Vanguard... what an improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
Uhh, it is, Tyger. At least it is for me. I've been playing the game for 100+ hours and have died about a hundred times and have a pretty good idea by now.
Meh, I've only died 12 times my entire existance in the game, so many you do have a bit more experience.

Either way, i still don't think the penalty is that bad. Again, I'm use to EQ penalties which take a good 6 hours to recover lost experience.

Dieing shouldn't be a pleasant experience. It should be a bad one. I think the experience hit should be even more than it is in vanguard, but then again I'm an "elitest" . I definitely don't want anything like EQ death again, because when I use to die on that, I would turn into that little german kid smashing his keyboard screaming weird phrases. On Vanguard if I die, i just laugh.
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-07, 02:36 PM   #50
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

lol xionn you have 145 deaths. I just looked it up... yea i'd say you do have more experience... alot more
Old 03-01-07, 03:08 PM   #51
Xion X2

Heh, it doesn't surprise me. I died a lot when I first started playing the game because I wasn't used to the gameplay with it being my first MMO. I also traveled to places I probably shouldn't have () just because I wanted to explore some. I got killed the by big tree monsters a few times when I was on Lvl 4 or 5 and they were 15.

My Sorc also started out pretty weak and got killed tons before I reached Lvl 10 and got some better spells. I haven't died a whole lot since then.

But yeah, it's no EQ death penalty from what I've heard, but it can be a pain sometimes. I never leave a corpse behind, because the experience I lose is always at least equal to completing a solid quest w/ good xp.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-07, 03:08 PM   #52
UDawg
Retired spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
you do have an XP penalty. To my knowledge every MMORPG on the face of this earth besides WOW has an experience penalty of some kind. Hell, most RPG's period do. Like i said, its not major. I have no idea where Xionn is finding that the experience loss is that great because it really isnt.... I died a good 4 times just last night.
What does that have to do with my opinion that an xp penalty for dying is stupid?

Quote:
No, joking about you expecting a 2 y/o computer to run a game smoothly that was just released using the Unreal engine and graphical effects we've never seen before---like volumetric clouds, for instance.
I wasn't expecting it to run it smoothly. My point was that I know my computer is slower but even at the lower settings, the game is herky-jerky. Is known for bad performance. It does seem better than it was during the beta. In fact I can have most settings on medium high and it runs good. THe problem is it is inconsistent with all things being the same in the surroundings.

Quote:
I had a kickass Dell computer a little over two years ago that would get its ass kicked by most modern day games now. The tech advances a little faster than that, and you have to keep up with it.
LOL! No you don't. My computer can run all the games out today just fine. Sure I have to settle for medium settings but it does fine.

Quote:
Not saying that Vanguard's well optimized, because it isn't, but most games out there won't run smoothly on a 2-year old machine w/ decent graphics settings.
Yes they will. I have most of the newest games out today. I'm not a n00b to computers either. I've built computers for well over a decade.

Of course building a new puter would be great for this game but you agreed with my main point. The game is not well optomized.
UDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-07, 03:12 PM   #53
UDawg
Retired spammer

Quote:
Dieing shouldn't be a pleasant experience. It should be a bad one. I think the experience hit should be even more than it is in vanguard, but then again I'm an "elitest" . I definitely don't want anything like EQ death again, because when I use to die on that, I would turn into that little german kid smashing his keyboard screaming weird phrases. On Vanguard if I die, i just laugh.
Why should it have xp loss? I dont' get that. Just damage your equipment and run back to your body as a ghost. This is why WoW is so appealing. They know that it is still a game. I'm not really hung up on the xp hit you take when dying but it just seems like a stupid idea. At least you don't have to recharge your weapon enchantments like in Oblivion....or do.... you....?

Death penalties are just plain stupid. I'm gonna go and get a law passed on this. Crap I just went liberal there.
Old 03-01-07, 03:20 PM   #54
Xion X2

What kind of video card are you running, UDawg? Because even my X850XT started to struggle with games like F.E.A.R. on medium settings (1152x864, 2xAA), and I had that card less than two years ago.

A little over two years ago, I think I had a Radeon 9800 Pro which gets its ass kicked by games today at medium settings. Oblivion runs around 20-25fps on medium settings w/ it.

This often comes down to semantics, because everyone's description of "good performance" differs. Mine is anything with good graphics and over 30fps consistently. I stand by my original statement, even if you may happen to disagree with it.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-07, 03:35 PM   #55
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDawg
Death penalties are just plain stupid.
you know.. you are the first person i have EVER met with these views.
Old 03-01-07, 03:47 PM   #56
UDawg
Retired spammer

Quote:
What kind of video card are you running, UDawg? Because even my X850XT started to struggle with games like F.E.A.R. on medium settings (1152x864, 2xAA), and I had that card less than two years ago.
6800U. I don't have any AA on.

Quote:
A little over two years ago, I think I had a Radeon 9800 Pro which gets its ass kicked by games today at medium settings. Oblivion runs around 20-25fps on medium settings w/ it.
The 9800 is a year older than the 6800U and it was not as fast. So it would stand to reason you would have a bit more trouble than me.

Quote:
This often comes down to semantics, because everyone's description of "good performance" differs. Mine is anything with good graphics and over 30fps consistently. I stand by my original statement, even if you may happen to disagree with it.
30fps is fine with me also. I am not hugely picky on FPS until I really start to notice is around 20fps.

No I don't disagree with you much at all. I am only pointing out that the game is not optomized at all. It is sluggish and inconsistent. Now it is not the worst I have seen and it is far better than BETA. I am only saying it has quite a ways to go before it is a game that can run well across the board.

Old 03-01-07, 03:48 PM   #57
NrthnStar5

Quote:
Your still upset? LOL! You call me a loser for making a joke post and I am the one that is immature? My post wasn't aimed at you. Maybe you should examine your own insecurities. Well you are still a n00b here, maybe you will get it one day but until then.

Let it go... let it go....
I can assure you I am not upset. There is nothing for me to be upset about, I guess our sense of humor is just different as I didn't find myself laughing or smiling at your post, but to each his own.

And no, i'm not a n00b here, i've browse these forums regularly and have been for years, I simply do not post much.

Back to topic, I just got myself an E6600 Core 2 Duo OC'd to 2.80ghz and an 8800GTS XXX Edition video card and it has improved my performance significantly. The difference is amazing. I personally find vanguard to be gorgeous especially if you can enjoy it on higher quality settings.

This game gives you a sense of every level matters. In WoW or EQ2 i felt more like I wanted to level up as soon as possible, but in Vanguard It doesn't feel that way. I want to level up but when i do i feel like it's more accomplishment.

In all respects, Vanguard isn't perfect, but the potential is there and I look forward to it's future.
NrthnStar5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-07, 03:49 PM   #58
UDawg
Retired spammer

Quote:
you know.. you are the first person i have EVER met with these views.
LOL you know we are right. You just like sech with cheese graters and table salt. You a sick puke like that.

I like most people happen to be sane. We like a challenge but do not like ramming our gear up our ass when we die.
Old 03-02-07, 10:11 AM   #59
Xav
Professional NV Lurker

HUGE update coming this tuesday!

http://vgplayers.station.sony.com/ne...4&section=News

Check it out

System II: C2D E8400 || Gigabyte GA-EP35 || 2GB Gskill DDR2 1066 || XFX GTX 260 Black Edition || Audigy 2 || Corsair TX650 || Klipsch PM 2.1 || Gateway 2185W LCD

Consoles: 360/PS3
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-07, 11:12 AM   #60
Xav
Professional NV Lurker

Quote:
Uhh, it is, Tyger. At least it is for me. I've been playing the game for 100+ hours and have died about a hundred times and have a pretty good idea by now.

Maybe it's different for different races? Although I don't see why that would be an issue.

But I do lose over 6,000 xp points when I die and don't recover my corpse, and fighting a few enemies certainly doesn't make up for it. I've pretty much resigned myself to ALWAYS recover my corpse if at all possible, otherwise I would never level up because it takes so much xp away.

I fought about 20 wyverns that were 3 lvls above me on my last level and gained about as much as I would from a good quest. It takes me quite a while. I don't know what we're doing differently.
Well they have upped XP per kill since your system has been down so that helps a bit.

System II: C2D E8400 || Gigabyte GA-EP35 || 2GB Gskill DDR2 1066 || XFX GTX 260 Black Edition || Audigy 2 || Corsair TX650 || Klipsch PM 2.1 || Gateway 2185W LCD

Consoles: 360/PS3
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote