Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-28-07, 11:41 AM   #25
superklye

Default Re: NIN Beside You in Time HD DVD - 5/5 stars on Audio/Video quality!

No problem.

And I just read that apparently the BD is encoded in 1080i which I didn’t know was possible. But apparently every player except the PS3 deinterlaces and puts out a 1080p signal while the PS3 can only put out what the media is encoded in.

I still don’t think it’s possible for that to be though. Perhaps evilchris (if he’s reading this) can shed some light on it. I don’t have time to research right now…pointless meetings for the next 4 hours.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-07, 11:45 AM   #26
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Yeah I read that too... another title I read was 1080i on the disc was Bikini Destinations or whatever.... not that I was going to buy it or anything... you know... lol.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-07, 01:49 PM   #27
OWA

Heh, the release info says it 1080p also and hidefdigest said the two were the same (both 1080p and heh, gave the same scores) but it's definitely 1080i for me on the PS3. Someone should probably let the guy at hidefdigest know about this. I think he even viewed it on a PS3. I wouldn't have known it's 1080i if y'all hadn't mentioned it thus causing me to check. You'd think a reviewer should check on things like that though or I guess he could have something else inline that is outputting 1080p kind of hiding the fact that's 1080i.

That brings up a question. How can you tell how it's encoded if you have something that scales everything to whatever desired resolution? On the PS3, since it doesn't scale, I just bring up the resolution on the HD monitor to see what it is. If something is scaling though, how do you go about finding what the true resolution is if it's not listed on the box?
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-07, 01:56 PM   #28
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWA
Heh, the release info says it 1080p also and hidefdigest said the two were the same (both 1080p and heh, gave the same scores) but it's definitely 1080i for me on the PS3. Someone should probably let the guy at hidefdigest know about this. I think he even viewed it on a PS3. I wouldn't have known it's 1080i if y'all hadn't mentioned it thus causing me to check. You'd think a reviewer should check on things like that though or I guess he could have something else inline that is outputting 1080p kind of hiding the fact that's 1080i.

That brings up a question. How can you tell how it's encoded if you have something that scales everything to whatever desired resolution? On the PS3, since it doesn't scale, I just bring up the resolution on the HD monitor to see what it is. If something is scaling though, how do you go about finding what the true resolution is if it's not listed on the box?
What did you think of it though?
Old 02-28-07, 02:01 PM   #29
OWA

I only got a chance to watch the first one so far (I didn't go for the "play all" yet). I thought it was great though and I can see why you like to see them live.

Edit: Tonight, I'll watch the whole thing starting at the beginning again. Watching it piece-meal would lose all the atmosphere.
Old 02-28-07, 02:11 PM   #30
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWA
I only got a chance to watch the first one so far (I didn't go for the "play all" yet). I thought it was great though and I can see why you like to see them live.

Edit: Tonight, I'll watch the whole thing starting at the beginning again. Watching it piece-meal would lose all the atmosphere.
Definitely.

The visuals are absolutely amazing...I think With Teeth may have the best all-around from the Winter 2006 tour.

Help Me I Am In Hell and Non-Entity and even Only >>>> better than the entire Winter tour. That light fence on the summer tour and the seven 30' LCDs in back are just amazing.

I hope you have a decent 5.1 setup that you are blasting this through. It's just not the same through stereo TV speakers.
Old 02-28-07, 03:47 PM   #31
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

This looks interesting. I'm not a huge fan of NIN, but a concert + HD-DVD + low price, I'm all over that!!! I haven't bought a HD-DVD in quite some time . . .
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-07, 06:31 PM   #32
OWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
I hope you have a decent 5.1 setup that you are blasting this through. It's just not the same through stereo TV speakers.
That's right, rub it in. My AV stuff is packed away. My temporary move to an apartment has somehow turned into 4 years. Anyway, unfortunately, I'll be listening through stereo headphones...

Old 02-28-07, 10:10 PM   #33
toxikneedle
this.is.a.chemical.burn

Send a message via AIM to toxikneedle Send a message via MSN to toxikneedle

I saw like 10 seconds of it today, and all I saw was a bunch of people flipping off George Bush slow dancing on the projector.
Old 02-28-07, 10:30 PM   #34
superklye

That would've been about halfway to 2/3 of the way through Right Where It Belongs.

Trent, uh...well, let's just say he doesn't much care for W.
Old 02-28-07, 10:42 PM   #35
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

I'm going to pick this one up tomorrow just for the heck of it. The previews on the NIN website look awesome so I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

I'm starting to believe that hating Bush is a celebrity trend ton of people are following . . .
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-07, 10:52 PM   #36
Ruined

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
Yeah, I know, it's weird. They claimed they didn't have enough time during the authoring phase to get the on-the-fly angle changing working, which I call BS on. Look at all the other HD DVDs that were out, even when they WERE authoring (probably sometime around late August, early September) and had all of the advanced functionality.

I think they just plain ran out of time, or didn't give it the time in the first place.
I heard that the NIN disc was authored by a comparitively inexperienced authoring house that didn't have as much experience as the big HD DVD players who have already done this sort of functionality.

Quote:
And I just read that apparently the BD is encoded in 1080i which I didn’t know was possible. But apparently every player except the PS3 deinterlaces and puts out a 1080p signal while the PS3 can only put out what the media is encoded in.

I still don’t think it’s possible for that to be though. Perhaps evilchris (if he’s reading this) can shed some light on it. I don’t have time to research right now…pointless meetings for the next 4 hours.
This is a limitation of the BD spec. While the HD DVD was encoded in the title's HDCAM native 1080p30 format, Blu-Ray does not support 1080p30 (only 1080p24). Therefore, the Blu-Ray had to be encoded at 1080i60 in order to preserve the original framerate as best as possible. So although the Blu-Ray has a marginally higher bitrate in some areas, technically the HD DVD has been encoded at a resolution identical to the master - while the Blu-Ray needed to be encoded at 1080i due to spec limitations. I'm sure neither presentation disappoints, however.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU | Intel G965WH mobo | 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-667mhz CAS5 RAM (1066MHz FSB) | BFG GeForce 285 GTX OC 1GB | Dell E228WFP 22" DVI-HDCP LCD Monitor | 1TB Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Main Drive | 500GBx2 Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Scratch Drives in RAID0 | Western Digital RE3 1TB SATA2 Media Drive | External 2TB Western Digital MyBook Backup Drive | Adaptec eSATA 3.0gbps PCI-E interface | Sandisk External 12-in-1 Flash Card Reader | LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD writer | LG GGW-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD/BD writer | Microsoft E4000 Ergonomic Keyboard | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Antec P182 ATX Case | Thermaltake ToughPower XT 850w modular PSU | KRK RP-8 Rokit Studio Monitors | Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Ruined is offline   Reply With Quote