Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-28-07, 04:29 PM   #1
Pixelsmack

Default When a projector is connected to a computer is it still NTSC?

Or does it turn off the internal deinterlacer and then act like a computer monitor? Wondering if it's still internally convert everything to NTSC (29.97)?

I know only the newest projectors support true "unmessed with" 24fps progressive output. But that's when dealing with normal set top DVD players.

In HTPC-land I was wondering if things are different since we output from computers. And the video card, at least most, can output a wide range of signals. And does the projector receive the signal and not molest it.

Guess I can test that. Set my vidcard to some stupid setting and see if the project not only syncs, but then see what it displays under status.

Coolermaster 690 case, i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, 2xEVGA GTX260-216 SC in SLI, EVGA X58 SLI, Tagan 700w PSU, 2TB RAID0 Seagate SATAIIs, Win7 Ult. 64bit.
Pixelsmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-07, 06:38 PM   #2
Ancient
Occasional User

Default Re: When a projector is connected to a computer is it still NTSC?

Your projector accepts NTSC as well as standard progressive scan computer resolutions up to 1280x768 in addition to 480p and 720p HDTV resolutions. So, yes, if a progressive scan res is being input the de-interlacer is not used.
Old 02-28-07, 08:24 PM   #3
Pixelsmack

Thanks and I understand but my interest is can I send anything to my projector as long as it doesn't go beyond 60hz? Like a 15hz single or 25hz(PAL), etc. And as long as it's coming from a VGA card will it be WYSIWYG and no deinterlacer funkiness.

Coolermaster 690 case, i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, 2xEVGA GTX260-216 SC in SLI, EVGA X58 SLI, Tagan 700w PSU, 2TB RAID0 Seagate SATAIIs, Win7 Ult. 64bit.
Old 02-28-07, 09:23 PM   #4
Ancient
Occasional User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelsmack
Thanks and I understand but my interest is can I send anything to my projector as long as it doesn't go beyond 60hz? Like a 15hz single or 25hz(PAL), etc. And as long as it's coming from a VGA card will it be WYSIWYG and no deinterlacer funkiness.
Here's what your projector can do:

Compatibility: HDTV 480p, 576p, 720p, 1080i; 480i NTSC/NTSC 4.43, 576i PAL/PAL-N/PAL-M/SECAM; computer SXGA+, SXGA, XGA, SVGA, VGA; dual resolution support for computer 1280x768 and native 1280x720 HDTV.

Since your video card can output an interlaced resolution, no, not all output will look good. 1080i shouldn't be too bad, though your projector isn't 1080i native so it resamples and probably de-interlaces that res it to 720p. If you want to run your computer desktop on your projector, run it at 1280x768 to get the best output.
Old 02-28-07, 11:06 PM   #5
Pixelsmack

Good info but it still leaves the question. Can the project be made to do 24fps for display? I would assume it would only be possible when connected to the computer.

Because it says it does 480p, so that means 29.97 (NTSC) and it does a 2:3 pull up. At least when connected to a conventional NTSC DVD player.

But connected to a computer....does the projector display my 1280x768 at 29.97 NTSC using it's processing to make a progressive signal no matter the frame rate coming from the computer? Or when the computer output dips to 14fps because of some intense game, does the projector actual display it 1:1? Or is is remapping that framerate to a compatible NTSC progressive mode. Like 29.97.

Hence my boggled-ness, heh.

Old 03-01-07, 12:02 AM   #6
Ancient
Occasional User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelsmack
Good info but it still leaves the question. Can the project be made to do 24fps for display? I would assume it would only be possible when connected to the computer.

Because it says it does 480p, so that means 29.97 (NTSC) and it does a 2:3 pull up. At least when connected to a conventional NTSC DVD player.
The projector can handle a 24fps cadence. It all depends on your source. It doesn't have to be a computer. It could be a DVD player.

Quote:
But connected to a computer....does the projector display my 1280x768 at 29.97 NTSC using it's processing to make a progressive signal no matter the frame rate coming from the computer? Or when the computer output dips to 14fps because of some intense game, does the projector actual display it 1:1? Or is is remapping that framerate to a compatible NTSC progressive mode. Like 29.97.

Hence my boggled-ness, heh.
When you're running a computer resolution it's not an NTSC mode so your projector doesn't run it as such. It'll run 60Hz at that res.