Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-27-07, 01:34 PM   #49
Tym
Registered User
 
Tym's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Torun, Poland
Posts: 159
Default Re: 680i is going to be the death of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter
How does the 680i kill the memory? It worked fine for a few weeks with all 4 sticks and the same settings.
I have no idea, but the reports are there. Basically, I would have considered it all just a rumour if I hadn't had such issues with the board. In my case, it worked for a month with occasional BSODs which I attributed to nVidia's drivers (the message was related to " nv4disp.dll"), but then it started to freeze and eventually refused to boot at all. I had to remove one stick for the board to post, clock it down to 800 (it had run at 1066 synced before), then insert the other stick, but after some time it became unstable even when underclocked.

I was about to RMA the memory, but then some reports of similar issues started to appear in the EVGA forums (end of Dec.), so I took the gamble and bought my current mobo instead to test it further. I put the memory in it and it has been running at 1066 since then (two months now) without a single BSOD or any other issue.

As for memory getting killed, as I said, many people report that (there is suspicion that the memory controller may be dying gradually, causing damage to the memory). However, I have no way of verifying whether any of the sticks were really dead, or whether people just didn't test them as I did on other rigs/mobos.
__________________
i5-2500K with Thermalright SI-128, Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4-B3, 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Palit GeForce GTX 460 Sonic Platinum, Samsung 275T Plus 27" + Samsung 943T 19", Auzentech X-Fi Prelude + Rotel RA-820AX + Kef Q1, Razer DeathAdder mouse, Antec P190 case, 60GB OCZ Vertex for OS/FSX + 2 x 640GB WD Black RAID1, Plextor PX-880SA DVD-RW; OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64; FSX gear: Saitek X52 Pro + Rudder Pedals + Yoke System
Tym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-07, 01:51 PM   #50
Xion X2
Registered User
 
Xion X2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: U.S.
Posts: 6,701
Default Re: 680i is going to be the death of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tym
the message was related to " nv4disp.dll
I was getting this error a lot too toward the end before the board finally stopped posting altogether.

And yeah, I've also seen a ton of people say the 680i killed their memory. I sure hope that's not the case w/ my G.Skill; the sticks cost me 419.99$ when I got them.

The 680i is just an all-around hunk of crap, IMO. Nvidia should've never released it to the public.
__________________

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-07, 01:54 PM   #51
ArrowMk84
Registered User
 
ArrowMk84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,010
Default Re: 680i is going to be the death of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tym
I have no idea, but the reports are there. Basically, I would have considered it all just a rumour if I hadn't had such issues with the board. In my case, it worked for a month with occasional BSODs which I attributed to nVidia's drivers (the message was related to " nv4disp.dll"), but then it started to freeze and eventually refused to boot at all. I had to remove one stick for the board to post, clock it down to 800 (it had run at 1066 synced before), then insert the other stick, but after some time it became unstable even when underclocked.

I was about to RMA the memory, but then some reports of similar issues started to appear in the EVGA forums (end of Dec.), so I took the gamble and bought my current mobo instead to test it further. I put the memory in it and it has been running at 1066 since then (two months now) without a single BSOD or any other issue.

As for memory getting killed, as I said, many people report that (there is suspicion that the memory controller may be dying gradually, causing damage to the memory). However, I have no way of verifying whether any of the sticks were really dead, or whether people just didn't test them as I did on other rigs/mobos.
From what I've read, the reference boards (EVGA, etc) actually give the memory more voltage than what's reported, damaging the memory. The work around is to under volt the memory. I haven't seen this problem on the Striker, and I've been running the same memory in for three months now.
__________________
Intel i7-2600k @ 4.6GHz | Asus Maximus IV Extreme | 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 MHz 9-10-9-27 | Dual EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3GB | Creative X-Fi Titanium Pro PCI-E | Intel 510 Series SSD 120 GB | 2x Raptor 600 GB RAID | 2TB WD Black | Lite-On 21x Blu-ray Burner | Corsair AX1200 Modular PSU | Silverstone FT02 | Corsair H60 with Dual Fans | Dell 3007-HC 30" LCD | Audioengine 5 & S8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
ArrowMk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-07, 01:57 PM   #52
Xion X2
Registered User
 
Xion X2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: U.S.
Posts: 6,701
Default Re: 680i is going to be the death of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianHAXOR
Mkay? Running 680i with a Q6600 and 8800GTX no problems at all.
Please. As if your own forums aren't filled to the brim with posts just like mine? This chipset is an absolute mess, and after going through 3 defective ones in the last 3 months I think I've earned the right to vent my frustration just a tad.

And again, the board seems to do just fine for a lot of people who don't overclock it much. Since >350FSB's are for the most part unreachable with quads, I'd guess yours isn't overclocked much at all and that's probably one of the reasons you haven't had problems.
__________________

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-07, 02:01 PM   #53
Bokishi
NV THIS
 
Bokishi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hutt Space
Posts: 1,289
Default Re: 680i is going to be the death of me.

Been running 680i stable for 2 months, however I left my mem @ stock 800mhz and haven't touched it. Is overclocking the memory what killed the board?
__________________
i5 2500K @ 4.2GHz
EVGA Z68
Ripjaws X 16GB 1600MHz
EVGA GTX 680
X-Fi Titanium HD
Intel 40GB SSD (SRT Cache)
Hitachi 1TB Boot HDD
7TB Storage HDDs
Coolermaster 750w
Bokishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-07, 02:02 PM   #54
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.
 
jAkUp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chino, California
Posts: 17,744
Default Re: 680i is going to be the death of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
And again, the board seems to do just fine for a lot of people who don't overclock it much. Since >350FSB's are for the most part unreachable with quads, I'd guess yours isn't overclocked much at all and that's probably one of the reasons you haven't had problems.
Yea, the low FSB's with Quad Core CPU's are an issue, but it has been fixed Early reports are a hair over 450MHz. Thankfully my board hasn't given me much issues at all (after the P23 BIOS update) I did have some issues with high memory speeds prior to that though, this is the same board I have been using since November.

http://www.evga.com/community/messag...TOPIC_ID=28369
__________________
965xe || evga x58 classified || 3x evga gtx 480 || 6gb g.skill || win7 x64
jAkUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-07, 02:02 PM   #55
Tym
Registered User
 
Tym's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Torun, Poland
Posts: 159
Default Re: 680i is going to be the death of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
Please. As if your own forums aren't filled to the brim with posts just like mine? This chipset is an absolute mess, and after going through 3 defective ones in the last 3 months I think I've earned the right to vent my frustration just a tad.
My sentiments, exactly. I went through two, fortunately I RMAd through my local e-tailer and managed to get a refund instead of a third one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
And again, the board seems to do just fine for a lot of people who don't overclock it much. Since >350FSB's are for the most part unreachable with quads, I'd guess yours isn't overclocked much at all and that's probably one of the reasons you haven't had problems.
In fact, I didn't even overclock either board at all (unless running memory rated @ 1000 4-4-4-15 at 1066 5-5-5-15 qualifies as OC), and they still crapped out.
__________________
i5-2500K with Thermalright SI-128, Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4-B3, 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Palit GeForce GTX 460 Sonic Platinum, Samsung 275T Plus 27" + Samsung 943T 19", Auzentech X-Fi Prelude + Rotel RA-820AX + Kef Q1, Razer DeathAdder mouse, Antec P190 case, 60GB OCZ Vertex for OS/FSX + 2 x 640GB WD Black RAID1, Plextor PX-880SA DVD-RW; OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64; FSX gear: Saitek X52 Pro + Rudder Pedals + Yoke System
Tym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-07, 02:05 PM   #56
Xion X2
Registered User
 
Xion X2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: U.S.
Posts: 6,701
Default Re: 680i is going to be the death of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokishi
Been running 680i stable for 2 months, however I left my mem @ stock 800mhz and haven't touched it. Is overclocking the memory what killed the board?
I never overclocked my memory. I actually had to underclock it in order to run a 1:1 ratio with my FSB to keep it stable. I'd been running it at 800 mhz for the prior week and a half before it went kaput.
__________________

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-07, 02:20 PM   #57
Xion X2
Registered User
 
Xion X2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: U.S.
Posts: 6,701
Default Re: 680i is going to be the death of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAkUp
Yea, the low FSB's with Quad Core CPU's are an issue, but it has been fixed Early reports are a hair over 450MHz. Thankfully my board hasn't given me much issues at all (after the P23 BIOS update) I did have some issues with high memory speeds prior to that though, this is the same board I have been using since November.

http://www.evga.com/community/messag...TOPIC_ID=28369
Well, there's some good news, at least. Hopefully my replacement P5N32-E Plus, if it turns out not to be another defective one, will have the same success with quad FSB's.

I'm glad you haven't had any problems out of yours, jakup. For some reason, my luck in regards to hardware with this most recent build has been just awful. I'm seriously doubting if I'll be an early adopter ever again.
__________________

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-07, 02:27 PM   #58
Bokishi
NV THIS
 
Bokishi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hutt Space
Posts: 1,289
Default Re: 680i is going to be the death of me.

Heh, I'm doubting if I'll ever be an early adopter again, thanks to the 8800 resistor issue alone!
__________________
i5 2500K @ 4.2GHz
EVGA Z68
Ripjaws X 16GB 1600MHz
EVGA GTX 680
X-Fi Titanium HD
Intel 40GB SSD (SRT Cache)
Hitachi 1TB Boot HDD
7TB Storage HDDs
Coolermaster 750w
Bokishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-07, 02:49 PM   #59
Xion X2
Registered User
 
Xion X2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: U.S.
Posts: 6,701
Default Re: 680i is going to be the death of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokishi
Heh, I'm doubting if I'll ever be an early adopter again, thanks to the 8800 resistor issue alone!
That's what I'm saying. And just to think, I went through two G80's with the bad resistor issue on top of having my replacement watercooled G80 giving out on me a month later. I am now on my 4th and 5th G80s.

Then, 3 bad 650i/680i motherboards in the last few months. Come Wednesday I will be on my 4th 650i/680i board.

If I wasn't into computers so hardcore I would've given up by now.
__________________

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-07, 03:00 PM   #60
Riptide
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 8,303
Default Re: 680i is going to be the death of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
If I wasn't into computers so hardcore I would've given up by now.
Believe it or not.

I know how you feel.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(Lazygamer) CNN predicting the death of consoles News Console World 3 06-17-12 02:38 PM
IE 10?s 'Do-Not-Track' default dies quick death News Archived News Items 0 06-07-12 06:50 AM
Death & The Muton: Firaxis On XCOM Fatalities & Floaters News Archived News Items 0 05-04-12 11:00 AM
Get out foul spirit !! -- Death to the Infinite Loop !! Ripper NVIDIA Windows Graphics Drivers 13 10-25-02 01:58 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.