Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-08-07, 08:27 AM   #25
ArrowMk84
Registered User
 
ArrowMk84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,010
Default Re: Asus Striker Extreme or EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxmightymc
I'm getting this memory CORSAIR DOMINATOR TWIN2X2048-6400C4D. Will that work with the striker extreme??
If you're only doing one pair of sticks, yes. The Striker still has issues with OCing with all four DIMM slots filled (I know from experience, which is why I switched to G.Skill to get 4GB, in a 2x2GB config).
__________________
Intel i7-2600k @ 4.6GHz | Asus Maximus IV Extreme | 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 MHz 9-10-9-27 | Dual EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3GB | Creative X-Fi Titanium Pro PCI-E | Intel 510 Series SSD 120 GB | 2x Raptor 600 GB RAID | 2TB WD Black | Lite-On 21x Blu-ray Burner | Corsair AX1200 Modular PSU | Silverstone FT02 | Corsair H60 with Dual Fans | Dell 3007-HC 30" LCD | Audioengine 5 & S8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
ArrowMk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-07, 11:52 AM   #26
mxmightymc
Registered User
 
mxmightymc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NewYork
Posts: 99
Send a message via AIM to mxmightymc
Default Re: Asus Striker Extreme or EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR

what is the latency and speed of those sticks and how much? Oh and do they work on XP?
__________________
iCore 7 980x Extreme/EVGA X58 CLASSIFIED/CORSAIR DDR3 6Gb 2000mhz 8.8.8.20
eVGA GTX 260 Core 216 SSC 55nm Edition/Tagan TG-1100 U88 PSU/LIAN LI PC-V2000
/Vantage Score
mxmightymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-07, 12:25 PM   #27
ArrowMk84
Registered User
 
ArrowMk84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,010
Default Re: Asus Striker Extreme or EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxmightymc
what is the latency and speed of those sticks and how much? Oh and do they work on XP?
800MHz CL5 (damn, no one reads my sig ), and I got them for $429 from Newegg (Link).

Yeah, they're not CL4 or lower, but honestly, I can't tell the difference between my old memory (2GB CL4) and these; the 4MB cache on my E6600 really does hide the latency difference. About the only way I'd able to see the difference is with synthetic benchmarks.

They should work fine in XP, although you'll see about 3GB or so, due to how XP handles memory in sizes over 2GB. Google XP 3GB RAM for more.
__________________
Intel i7-2600k @ 4.6GHz | Asus Maximus IV Extreme | 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 MHz 9-10-9-27 | Dual EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3GB | Creative X-Fi Titanium Pro PCI-E | Intel 510 Series SSD 120 GB | 2x Raptor 600 GB RAID | 2TB WD Black | Lite-On 21x Blu-ray Burner | Corsair AX1200 Modular PSU | Silverstone FT02 | Corsair H60 with Dual Fans | Dell 3007-HC 30" LCD | Audioengine 5 & S8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
ArrowMk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-07, 06:26 PM   #28
Psycotix
RSVP *****
 
Psycotix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: GTR Manchester, UK
Posts: 9
Default Re: Asus Striker Extreme or EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR

Hi all my first post of many on these forums....lol

Ok my oppinion is that the EVGA board wins hands down and my reasons are simple...

1) The asus bottles at memory speeds above 800mhz
2) The EVGA supports upto 1200mhz
3) Corsair dominator 4x1gig d5 modules at 1066mhz is awesome in the EVGA
4) The asus board wont even run that type of mem
5) EVGA is better for overclocking and a hell of a lot more stable

Check out the benchmarks in the top 20 3dmark06.......the EVGA boards are all over the place at least 14 of the top 20 are evga.
Psycotix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-07, 06:46 PM   #29
ArrowMk84
Registered User
 
ArrowMk84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,010
Default Re: Asus Striker Extreme or EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR

[quote=Psycotix]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycotix
1) The asus bottles at memory speeds above 800mhz
Wrong. For the week I had the Dominators, they ran at 1066MHz, no problems. The problem I had was a getting a stable FSB (not memory) overclock with all four slots filled. This will probably be fixed in the next BIOS.

Tiki also had some badass memory speeds with his previous build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycotix
2) The EVGA supports upto 1200mhz
And so does the Asus - its the same frakkin chipset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycotix
3) Corsair dominator 4x1gig d5 modules at 1066mhz is awesome in the EVGA
Its awesome in anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycotix
4) The asus board wont even run that type of mem
Yes, it will. The Asus board only has problems with OCing with that memory if ALL FOUR SLOTS ARE FILLED. And the rumor on the Corsair forum is that the next BIOS will fix this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycotix
5) EVGA is better for overclocking and a hell of a lot more stable
That was only true with BIOSes before 0901 and 1002. Now I'd call them at least even, if not in favor of the Striker.
__________________
Intel i7-2600k @ 4.6GHz | Asus Maximus IV Extreme | 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 MHz 9-10-9-27 | Dual EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3GB | Creative X-Fi Titanium Pro PCI-E | Intel 510 Series SSD 120 GB | 2x Raptor 600 GB RAID | 2TB WD Black | Lite-On 21x Blu-ray Burner | Corsair AX1200 Modular PSU | Silverstone FT02 | Corsair H60 with Dual Fans | Dell 3007-HC 30" LCD | Audioengine 5 & S8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
ArrowMk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-07, 07:31 PM   #30
Uberpwnage
Registered User
 
Uberpwnage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 898
Default Re: Asus Striker Extreme or EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAkUp
The new board with Quad Core overclocking

http://www.evga.com/community/messag...TOPIC_ID=28369

Most are getting over 450MHz FSB.
Wow, I may consider the Q6600 now......after price drops of course
__________________
Core i7 980x @ 4.4GHz - EK Supreme HF - BlackIce GTX 360 - MCP655 - Rampage II Extreme BIOS 1639 - EVGA GTX 480 SLI - Corsair Dominator 3x2GB DDR3 1600
2 x 1TB Samsung F1 RAID 0 - Plextor PX-880SA DVD Burner - Dell 3008WFP - Silverstone Zeus 1200w PSU - Lian Li PC-P80 - Razer Mamba - Logitech G15 v2
Windows 7 x64, 3DMark06:30000, 3DMark Vantage: P38000

Eurocom M860TU: X9100 - 9800M GT - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333 - 320GB 7200rpm - 15.4in 1920x1200
Uberpwnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-07, 04:01 AM   #31
Psycotix
RSVP *****
 
Psycotix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: GTR Manchester, UK
Posts: 9
Default Re: Asus Striker Extreme or EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR

Oh well arrow...at least you didnt deny that the EVGA owns the asus in the 3dmark 06 benchmarks....

Btw Corsair do not recommend you try to use 1066mhz dominator memory in the Asus striker...oh and it doesnt matter about the chipset its the memory controller what bottles it on the ASUS.

http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair...or_search.html

Now i wonder why there are no performance reports for the c5d corsair series........
Psycotix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-07, 08:49 AM   #32
ArrowMk84
Registered User
 
ArrowMk84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,010
Default Re: Asus Striker Extreme or EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycotix
Oh well arrow...at least you didnt deny that the EVGA owns the asus in the 3dmark 06 benchmarks....

Btw Corsair do not recommend you try to use 1066mhz dominator memory in the Asus striker...oh and it doesnt matter about the chipset its the memory controller what bottles it on the ASUS.

http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair...or_search.html

Now i wonder why there are no performance reports for the c5d corsair series........

You are a retard:



I've even circled "Asus Striker Extreme" and the 8500C5Ds in red.

As for 3DMark06, take a good look at the Hall of Fame.

Yes, number 2 is an EVGA board, but 3 and 4 are Strikers. Now, look at the configurations. The EVGA FSB is at 299 MHz, while the Striker FSBs are at 370 MHz and 335 MHz. And now look at the CPU speeds. We're looking at CPU, RAM and GPU limitations, NOT motherboard limitations.

Edit: After looking at EVGA vs the first Striker, the scores are different by 30 points, which is completely insignificant in 3DMark scores, especially when both are approaching 24000 anyway. Not to mention that the GPU clock speeds are completely incorrect - the 8800's clocks sure as hell aren't 108/499. /Edit

Now go away, or I shall taunt you for a second time. n00b.
__________________
Intel i7-2600k @ 4.6GHz | Asus Maximus IV Extreme | 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 MHz 9-10-9-27 | Dual EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3GB | Creative X-Fi Titanium Pro PCI-E | Intel 510 Series SSD 120 GB | 2x Raptor 600 GB RAID | 2TB WD Black | Lite-On 21x Blu-ray Burner | Corsair AX1200 Modular PSU | Silverstone FT02 | Corsair H60 with Dual Fans | Dell 3007-HC 30" LCD | Audioengine 5 & S8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
ArrowMk84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-07, 09:59 AM   #33
Psycotix
RSVP *****
 
Psycotix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: GTR Manchester, UK
Posts: 9
Default Re: Asus Striker Extreme or EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR

You seem to be getting annoyed there with the immature comments..Please dont let it be that im actualy debating something with a 12 year old jeez....
Psycotix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-07, 10:19 AM   #34
Psycotix
RSVP *****
 
Psycotix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: GTR Manchester, UK
Posts: 9
Default Re: Asus Striker Extreme or EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowMk84
You are a retard:



I've even circled "Asus Striker Extreme" and the 8500C5Ds in red.

As for 3DMark06, take a good look at the Hall of Fame.

Yes, number 2 is an EVGA board, but 3 and 4 are Strikers. Now, look at the configurations. The EVGA FSB is at 299 MHz, while the Striker FSBs are at 370 MHz and 335 MHz. And now look at the CPU speeds. We're looking at CPU, RAM and GPU limitations, NOT motherboard limitations.

Edit: After looking at EVGA vs the first Striker, the scores are different by 30 points, which is completely insignificant in 3DMark scores, especially when both are approaching 24000 anyway. Not to mention that the GPU clock speeds are completely incorrect - the 8800's clocks sure as hell aren't 108/499. /Edit

Now go away, or I shall taunt you for a second time. n00b.
That is not a performance report

this is a corsair performance report !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/4574/untitledub6.jpg

find 1 for the c5d on a asus striker mobo and get a grip, everyone knows the asus striker cant handle 4gig corsair c5d overclocked so stop acting so ****eh behind your monitor.

Asus mobo just isnt worth the extra 60 and the sooner you realise that Asus fanboy the better......

Rofl look at your mobo surprise surprise a asus striker i bet 80 quid that if i had slated evga and you had 1 of them you would have stuck up for that 1 instead.....
Psycotix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-07, 10:45 AM   #35
Psycotix
RSVP *****
 
Psycotix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: GTR Manchester, UK
Posts: 9
Default Re: Asus Striker Extreme or EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowMk84
The 0901 and 1002 BIOSes have fixed the voltage issue that was affecting overclocking. There's also a new revision coming out to address overclocking issues with Quad Core (just like EVGA and everyone else). As long as you don't try to stick four sticks of memory in it, you'll overclock just fine (my 4 dominators are going back and getting replaced with 2x2GB G.Skills - for sticks kills my OC)



Ahhh now i know why your crying rofl

My 4 sticks of Dominator c5d will work and overclock just fine in my EVGA mobo ul....noob
Psycotix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-07, 11:11 AM   #36
ArrowMk84
Registered User
 
ArrowMk84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,010
Default Re: Asus Striker Extreme or EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycotix
That is not a performance report

this is a corsair performance report !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/4574/untitledub6.jpg

find 1 for the c5d on a asus striker mobo and get a grip, everyone knows the asus striker cant handle 4gig corsair c5d overclocked so stop acting so ****eh behind your monitor.

Asus mobo just isnt worth the extra 60 and the sooner you realise that Asus fanboy the better......

Rofl look at your mobo surprise surprise a asus striker i bet 80 quid that if i had slated evga and you had 1 of them you would have stuck up for that 1 instead.....

First: Learn how to type. Learn how to spell while you're at it.

Second: Learn to read the thread.

Even I said earlier in the thread that the C5D's don't OC in a four stick configuration the Striker, in a direct response to your first post, idjit. What YOU linked to was the compatibility page on Corsair's site, which says the memory is compatible (and it is).

Third: The only fanboy in this thread is you.

Fourth: Get your fact straights before posting.
__________________
Intel i7-2600k @ 4.6GHz | Asus Maximus IV Extreme | 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 MHz 9-10-9-27 | Dual EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3GB | Creative X-Fi Titanium Pro PCI-E | Intel 510 Series SSD 120 GB | 2x Raptor 600 GB RAID | 2TB WD Black | Lite-On 21x Blu-ray Burner | Corsair AX1200 Modular PSU | Silverstone FT02 | Corsair H60 with Dual Fans | Dell 3007-HC 30" LCD | Audioengine 5 & S8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
ArrowMk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.