Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-28-07, 11:58 PM   #1
gulizard
"Powerstroke Diesel"

Send a message via MSN to gulizard Send a message via Skype™ to gulizard
Default Question about O/Cing

I am pretty sure I got the RAM to do it. I only got 1GB because I am a person who likes his stuff upfront. I do order from newegg, but it was to the point I couldn't wait. So I had to settle with 1GB of RAM from my local pc store.

I ended up getting 1GB OCZ Plat Revision 2 or 3 (forgot which one), I have a E6600 2.4GHz on the eVGA 680i. I looked at O/Cing. Right now everything is at stock.

I would prefer to use the bios but I am not sure how to begin. I hear people getting 3.0GHz at stock voltages. I am using the stock HSF, and my temps idle right around 40c.

I am a beginner here especially with this new board. I know theres a way to divide the RAM to match the FSB. When I went to mess with it through the nvidia control panel and at 3.0GHz it was going to put my RAM right 1000MHz.

The timings on the RAM are 4-4-4-15, voltage @ 1.9. Processor at this moment are at stock speeds.

I also have one more question it related to an issue I am having.

I got BF2 installed and I think it is probably the 1GB of RAM doing it, but everything seems to lag, and take longer. I load pretty fast, but verifying takes ages. It use to be seemingly fast. I assume this has everything to do with my RAM, and the amount of page file its using.

My FSB: DRAM is 2:3 on CPU-Z.
Old 03-01-07, 12:54 AM   #2
Xion X2

Default Re: Question about O/Cing

1GB of RAM is really stretching it for online games like BF2. The lag you're seeing is probably due to the RAM.

Why do you have a different model/amount of RAM in your signature?

Anyway, as for OC'ng, you didn't list your memory speed, so it's hard to say what kind of divider you should be using. I know that my 680i was never stable unless I ran it at half my FSB speed. I ran a 3600mhz overclock w/ 1600 on the FSB and 800mhz on the RAM and it was stable until my board crapped out on me this week.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-07, 01:32 AM   #3
gulizard
"Powerstroke Diesel"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
1GB of RAM is really stretching it for online games like BF2. The lag you're seeing is probably due to the RAM.

Why do you have a different model/amount of RAM in your signature?

Anyway, as for OC'ng, you didn't list your memory speed, so it's hard to say what kind of divider you should be using. I know that my 680i was never stable unless I ran it at half my FSB speed. I ran a 3600mhz overclock w/ 1600 on the FSB and 800mhz on the RAM and it was stable until my board crapped out on me this week.
It is DDR2800 RAM.

As I said I am new to this. I got the timings running at 4-4-4-15, voltage right at 1.9. I had to set this myself, the RAM itself is suppose to run at it. I plan to eventually grab another GB, they didn't have but one stick of this kind at the local store, and I was in a hurry, and with all the foul reviews on newegg about sticks of RAM being DOA I figured i'd buy one where I could take it back if it didn't work.

It is stock HSF, when I was just in a game of BF2. It ran around 48c when I came out of game. I am using arctic silver 5 rather then the default paste though. My old Athlon 64 idled at 27c, but i've heard 40c is pretty good especially with stock HSF on these intels.

I wouldn't even begin to know how to downclock it. If it was an AMD board yes. This new stuff is completely different looking.

To answer your question about the sig. I had intended to go for that, and never got it. Everything else is exactly correct though.
Old 03-01-07, 07:14 AM   #4
SLippe
R.I.P. Babe Thread

BF2 and other games really need 2GB of RAM to run smoothly.
SLippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-07, 12:29 PM   #5
gulizard
"Powerstroke Diesel"

Thanks but im still looking for advice on OCing. I knew about BF2 being a ram hog. I used to have an Athlon 64 that had 2GB of DDR Corsair ram, and it ran fine. Just didn't think it effect loading that much.

I just ran Aquamark3 yes I know its old, but I got 129k opposed to the Athlon 64 getting 90k with the 8800GTS. Thats a huge leap, even at stock.

I was also kind of wondering for the stock HSF is the temps I am averaging normal (42c-50c load) with AS5.

I'd like to O/C at least to 3.2GHz. I have OCZ Plat Revision 2 or 3 DDR2 800, eVGA 680i motherboard. My FSB: DRAM is 2:3. The timings and voltage of the RAM are: 4-4-4-15, at 1.9 Voltage. I had to set them manually to make them work with what OCZ promises.
Old 03-01-07, 01:30 PM   #6
Xion X2

Quote:
Thanks but im still looking for advice on OCing
???

And I gave you some. What are your questions?

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 03-01-07, 02:52 PM   #7
gulizard
"Powerstroke Diesel"

Well I've told you everything about what I have, I am really really newbi so I need as much advice as possible. I don't even know where to begin with it.
Old 03-02-07, 02:49 PM   #8
gulizard
"Powerstroke Diesel"

Ok I just attempted. The RAM will not do 1T Command Rate atleast at its current timings.

I tried to O/C the system to 2.9GHz. The RAM was O/Ced to 866MHz, I don't know if its the timings, or if its even the RAM not accepting it. When I tried to start I got a long beep, and then it told me to go into my bios and fix what I had changed.

I had to put a 3:2 Divider on the RAM to get it to work. I had the FSB running at 1300MHz. I changed no voltages. Were all stock.

Any advice?

Old 03-02-07, 03:06 PM   #9
Xion X2

Every system is different, so nobody can tell you exactly what's going to work for you; you just have to experiment for yourself. 680is tend to like your RAM at 1/2 your FSB, but different people have different memory that may react differently.

So, I'd say if you're having stability problems to run your RAM in "unlinked" mode and set the speed at half of whatever your FSB is. If it seems too slow like that, then you can cut down the timings a little to compensate for the lower speed.

Don't worry about 1T command rate on the Intels; it hardly makes a performance difference.

You shouldn't need a voltage increase on the 6600 until you get up over 3ghz.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 03-02-07, 03:57 PM   #10
gulizard
"Powerstroke Diesel"

Thanks I will play around with it. I got a BSOD while listening to music. Sound skipped and my system restarted. It worked fine before I attempted to O/C.

So on the timings I should probably go up. I've heard people had problems O/Cing with lower timings such as 4-4-4-15, and had to go up to 5-5-5-15, and from what I've read they really do not impact performance that much.

When you say set the RAM to half, you mean actually lower it from 800MHz to perhaps a lower speed? Remember your talking to someone who pretty much only owned an Athlon 64 motherboard, and O/Cing was as a bit easier.

The reason I say I set the DRAM :FSB to 3:2 was because if I tried to O/C it was putting my RAM at 1000-1200MHz and I am sure this RAM is not capable of that, and the rest of the settings like 1:2 were just making it higher. I'll give it a try, but I want to make sure no more BSOD's happen first.

Really appreciate the help though. My old forums AMD Support forums treated me like an outcast when I asked for help, or even upgraded and I think a few members who were running benchmark threads over there got banned for doing it with Intel. Kind of lame if you ask me. I am no fan boy of anything except nvidia. I go for whats fastest for the games I play, and I needed to make the dual core lift and this was the one.
Old 03-02-07, 05:43 PM   #11
gulizard
"Powerstroke Diesel"

This thing is automatically bumping the voltage up of my CPU. I chose unlinked mode, set my RAM to 800MHz, set the FSB to 1350MHz got 3GHz in windows. Voltage is around 1.4 now.

Why did it automatically bump my voltages up? FSB is bumped up to. Why?

Just to update I ran prime95 but I shut it off. It is at 3GHz, and it seemed to wanna run 60c and that was with both processors doing 55% according windows. I shut it off because it was getting really hot.

I think I've done something wrong. Last time I checked you can't move the RAM and keep it still while you O/C.
Old 03-02-07, 06:08 PM   #12
Xion X2

Quote:
When you say set the RAM to half, you mean actually lower it from 800MHz to perhaps a lower speed?
You overclock your processor by increasing the FSB frequency. It starts out at 1066mhz at factory settings before you overclock.

While increasing your FSB, keep your RAM speed at exactly half of what your FSB is. Say, for instance, you increased your FSB to 1400. Set your RAM at 700mhz.

It won't hurt your RAM to downclock it a little. If you want, you can mess around with the timings and see if you can get the timings lower since it's running at a slower speed. Often times, memory that is underclocked will be able to hit better timings than at its stock speed.

And the voltage on your components is increasing because you have it set to "auto." If you want that to stop, you need to set the voltage manually.

The 6600's will get up to around 60C under dual-prime stress-testing when you're on air cooling and pushing more voltage. That's normal. To remedy the issue, go with a good aftermarket heat-sink fan like a Tuniq Tower, Arctic Freezer, Scythe Ninja, etc. The stock Intel HSF's are very weak and make the chip run hotter.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz