Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-01-07, 02:18 PM   #1
MartinE

Default nVidia driver 1.0-96xx causes glitches, artifacts and crashes on Ubuntu Edgy/Feisty

I tried using the nVidia 1.0-96xx graphics driver on Ubuntu Edgy/Feisty with a GeForce2 MX Integrated Graphics Card. However, the driver is completely unusable on my system, it messes up the entire screen with graphical noise and a lot of glitches, for example:

1) When scrolling up or down in any widget, the lines get mixed up. This applies to lists as well as textboxes and every other control that has scrollbars. I observed it in Gedit, Gnome Control Center, Synaptic, Gnome Terminal etc. pp.

2) Using the 1.0-96xx driver causes the System to crash withaut any apparent cause. I haven't been able to find any steps to reproduce these crashes, they seem to happen randomly.

3) The area that was obscured by a window or menu is not properly redrawn when the window is moved or the menu is closed. The formerly-obscured area is filled with graphical noise, every now and then mixing in what seems to be distorted pixmaps from some kind of cache.

4) The pixmaps that show up in these areas seem to originate from some kind of cache. For instance, on one occasion i spotted the background image from a website which i visited with firefox some minutes earlier. On another occasion, it showed what looked like a distorted screenshot of Evolution, probably cached by the X server.

5) Most interesting observation: This "screenshot" of evolution was actually from Evolution run by *another user * on *another Ubuntu installation* installed on *another partition* of the same machine. Both installations share a swap partition; My guess is that Ubuntu's X server cached the pixmap of evolution, that the cached pixmap got stored in the swap partition, and that the graphics driver for some unknown reason reads the cached X data from the swap partition and uses it to render my desktop.

This behaviour makes the nVidia 1.0-96xx driver unusable for me. The 1.0-8776 driver, the latest version to work correctly on my machine, is not buildable on Ubuntu Feisty, i think it has problems with Feisty's 2.6.20 kernels. The free/open-source nv driver works flawlessly, but its usage entails sacrificing any and all 3D applications. However, given the above, the nv driver is all I get on Feisty.

I noticed these things in every 1.0-96xx version of nvidia's driver that i have tried, including the driver currently included in ubuntu's repository (1.0.9631+2.6.20.2-8.6). The 1.0-8xxx drivers worked flawlessly. Compiling the drivers from source doesn't work on Feisty, and didn't solve the problem on Edgy: Same effects.

Painting random pixmaps from some X cache is also a serious security breach; showing a "screenshot" of evolution, with emails recently received by a different user running a different operating system installed in a different partition is clearly unacceptable.

I have added my xorg.conf and two screenshots to give you an impression of this bug. For more information, please see:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source....20/+bug/85449

Help is very much appreciated. At the very least, I'd like to have instructions on how to install the 1.0-8776 version on Feisty's 2.6.20 kernels. A bugfix or workaround would be even better, of course.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot-2.png
Views:	889
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	24314  Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot-1.jpg
Views:	831
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	24315  
Attached Files
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (4.2 KB, 290 views)
MartinE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-07, 04:04 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: nVidia driver 1.0-96xx causes glitches, artifacts and crashes on Ubuntu Edgy/Feisty

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46678
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-07, 07:32 PM   #3
MartinE

Default Re: nVidia driver 1.0-96xx causes glitches, artifacts and crashes on Ubuntu Edgy/Feis

I take it that you want to remind me of attaching the nvidia-bug-report.log file. I'll try to do so tomorrow (my Feisty installation is currently unusable). Excuse me, I should have mentioned that with my original post.
Old 03-02-07, 07:03 PM   #4
stuartlevy

Default Re: nVidia driver 1.0-96xx causes glitches, artifacts and crashes on Ubuntu Edgy/Feis

I'm seeing some similar artifacts on two x86 machines running 1.0-9746
on Fedora Core 6 (2.6.19 kernel, xorg 7.1), using two different graphics cards,
an NV30 (Quadro FX 2000, "volterra") and NV43 (GeForce 6600, "map").

Noticed it so far in Maya 8.5's scrolling listboxes: if you scroll very slowly
(presumably in 1-pixel increments), the repainted text+buttons look
normal; but if scrolling at any reasonable speed, the window contents are stretched vertically severalfold, with lines of (I think) background-color
interleaved with the proper stuff. The result is un-viewable.

I'm attaching nvidia-bug-report.log's from both machines. I can't easily
grab a screenshot at the moment (affected machines are in locked offices),
will try to provide that Monday unless I can do a remote desktop trick (hmm, xvnc?).

I am not seeing the horrible widespread artifacts reported by the original
poster, though that could be because I'm running a simpler window manager
(fvwm2).

The scroll-repaint garbling doesn't occur if I `Option "RenderAccel" "false"',
but of course everything's very slow then.

I'm *not* noticing this problem on my Fedora Core 5 x86 laptop
(xorg 7.0, GeForce FX 5200 Go) which also uses 1.0-9746.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 9746-repaint-bug-logs.zip (53.9 KB, 276 views)
stuartlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-07, 08:27 PM   #5
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: nVidia driver 1.0-96xx causes glitches, artifacts and crashes on Ubuntu Edgy/Feisty

stuartlevy,
I have a few questions:
0) Does this require that any dataset be loaded in Maya to trigger the problem?
1) Does this reproduce if you're not using the Composite extension?
2) Does this problem persist if you're not using Twinview?

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 03-03-07, 03:41 AM   #6
MartinE

It does seem to be the same problem: Listboxes (and every other scrollable control) is not messed up when I'm scrolling very slowly, just as you described.

@netllama: Begging your pardon again, I will post my log files by this evening. My Feisty installation is completely broken (not related to my nVidia problems) and I'm not about to tamper with my production machine, so I need to reinstall Feisty today. Besides, Feisty's 5th alpha release came out yesterday, I'll see if the problem persists with it.
Old 03-03-07, 02:06 PM   #7
MartinE

Finally. The nvidia-installer.log is for the failed attempt to install the 1.0-8776 driver on Ubuntu Feisty. The Xorg.0.log and nvidia-bug-report.log are about the bug in 1.0-9631 on Ubuntu Feisty. The xorg.conf is my X.org configuration file.

Steps to reproduce the graphical artifacts: Start GNOME. Open some windows. Move some windows. Scroll up and down in some controls. The display is messed up immediately.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-installer.log (7.3 KB, 266 views)
File Type: log Xorg.0.log (137.3 KB, 270 views)
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (4.0 KB, 289 views)
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.log.zip (36.1 KB, 249 views)
Old 03-03-07, 11:21 PM   #8
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Does this problem persist if you're not using the Composite extension?

Old 03-04-07, 04:41 AM   #9
MartinE

How do I disable the Composite extension? I didn't manually enable it, as far as I know. Is it sufficient to add

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

to the end of the "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" file?
Old 03-04-07, 05:44 AM   #10
MartinE

If so, then the problem does persist. I've added another screenshot and another nvidia-bug-report.log file, the latter taken directly after an X server crash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot-3.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	24369  
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.log.zip (36.0 KB, 256 views)
Old 03-04-07, 11:49 AM   #11
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

In the latest bug report, I see the following appearing repeatedly:
(II) NVIDIA(0): The NVIDIA X driver has encountered an error; attempting to
(II) NVIDIA(0): recover...
(II) NVIDIA(0): Error recovery was successful.
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Error recovery failed.

And then eventually X just segfaults. Have you verified that you're using the latest motherboard BIOS?
Old 03-04-07, 04:30 PM   #12
MartinE

There are no BIOS upgrades for my motherboard, according to the manufacturer's support pages.