Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-12-07, 05:56 PM   #37
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: nVidia driver 1.0-96xx causes glitches, artifacts and crashes on Ubuntu Edgy/Feisty

There are several other alpha/beta distros out there that are using similarly versioned packages (FC7, OpenSuSE-10.3, etc). If someone has the time & interest, it would be useful to know whether they see the same problems with one of those distributions.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-07, 06:40 PM   #38
MartinE

Default Re: nVidia driver 1.0-96xx causes glitches, artifacts and crashes on Ubuntu Edgy/Feis

@ netllama

I got the same bug when using 1.0-9631 on Ubuntu Edgy, which runs on a 2.6.17 kernel. So the bleeding edge kernel shouldn't be necessary to reproduce the problem.

The reason why only a few Ubuntu users have reported this problem might be because Ubuntu Edgy provides a packaged version of 1.0-8776, but no packaged version of 1.0-9xxx, so the number of people using Edgy + 1.0-9xxx would be reasonably low. Ubuntu Feisty does provide a packaged version of 1.0-9631, but it hasn't been released yet, so the number of people using Feisty + 1.0-9xxx would be reasonably low as well. Similiar reasons might apply to other distros. That only Ubuntu users report these problems is indeed suspicious, but it might simply be caused by Ubuntu's soaring popularity.

If the bug is indeed caused by a component of Ubuntu, then that component works fine with 1.0-8776, but doesn't work with 1.0-9631. While that is certainly possible, it seems more likely that the bug is in nVidia's sources. If you have any ideas about which component of Ubuntu is at fault, I will happily file a bug report for Ubuntu's devs to look into.

Lastly, please answer this question: Could you or another nVidia developer provide a patch for the 1.0-8776 driver that makes it compilable on Ubuntu Feisty? I've found a patch from zander that supposedly makes 1.0-8776 buildable on 2.6.19 kernels, but that one didn't work for me.
MartinE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-07, 06:48 PM   #39
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: nVidia driver 1.0-96xx causes glitches, artifacts and crashes on Ubuntu Edgy/Feisty

Until I'm able to reproduce this problem, everything here is just speculation based on the limited facts that I have. I'm afraid that 1.0-8776 is no longer supported.
Old 03-12-07, 07:08 PM   #40
compotatoj

Default Re: nVidia driver 1.0-96xx causes glitches, artifacts and crashes on Ubuntu Edgy/Feis

I think I have some good news! Well it isn't good news, but I think it will give more information about the cause of the problem.

I downloaded and ran Ubuntu Feisty Fawn Herd 1 from the live cd. It is using the kernel 2.6.19-7 and I installed the old package of nvidia-glx (NVIDIA driver version 1.0-9629). I then ran:
modprobe nvidia
It gave me some error about a missing nvidia.ko file.
Then I ran:
depmod -a
It told me "error running install command for nvidia"

This is the important part:
I got the idea to install the 9629 driver from the installer downloaded from nvidia.com. It installed, but it gave me a bunch of errors. These errors might help tell us what the problem is.

Now the nvidia driver is installed and running, but the artifacts are much worse than before when I had the 9631 driver installed. The OpenGL stuff still renders choppy, etc.

Thank you for all your help!

P.S: I am logging off the livecd, but I copied my log folder in case any more logs need to be attached.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-installer.log (24.2 KB, 189 views)
File Type: log Xorg.0.log (28.6 KB, 170 views)
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.zip (31.4 KB, 175 views)
compotatoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-07, 11:55 PM   #41
MartinE

@netllama: Excuse me, but that excuse is kinda lame. That 1.0-8776 is unsupported is no reason for categorically refusing to touch it. 1.0-8776 was already unsupported in december, but that didn't stop zander from providing said patch. In a month, Feisty Fawn will be released, 1.0-9631 will be it's default nvidia driver, and this problem will see a lot more exposure. Wether it's nVidia's fault or Ubuntu's, it is in everybody's best interest to have a workable driver for Feisty available. I wouldn't bet that this 1.0-9631 bug will be solved in time, but I guess that the installation problems of 1.0-8776 on 2.6.20 shouldn't be too hard to fix.

I strongly urge you to consider it.
MartinE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-07, 05:36 PM   #42
compotatoj

I don't get it then. What is supported? So far nobody from NVIDIA has been able to provide support for fixing the bug or any possible workarounds. This may be acceptable if we haven't given enough information about the bug. However, we have asked what else we should give you or what else we should do, but the answer has just been avoided. I would love to help provide more information about my setup and such if I knew what I was supposed to provide.
Old 03-13-07, 05:41 PM   #43
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

The latest driver is what is supported. What is needed is a means of reproducing this problem.
Old 03-14-07, 11:09 AM   #44
compotatoj

I decided to install Edgy and see if that would fix the problem. To my surprise, Edgy had the same problem with both the 8xxx and 9xxx drivers. This is very odd because it never used to have the problem. I am starting to thing something could be wrong with my hardware. Sorry for the trouble.

Old 03-14-07, 09:16 PM   #45
compotatoj

This is extremely odd, I booted up Vista and everything looked fine until I loaded the "Windows Media Center." To my surprise, I got very similar graphical glitches. I am starting to think it could be a problem with my video card.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vista.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	24552  
Old 03-15-07, 09:29 AM   #46
arunvragh

sorry to barge in guys, but i got the 8776 driver working on a current feisty - 2.6.20.10-generic- by patching it with the patch meant for 2.6.19 kernel and installing by cd ing into the extracted folder and using ./nvidia-installer -n command.

Before that it was not loading the nvidia module complaining about missing /sbin/lrm-video. I installed the linux-restricted-modules-common package before i did the above and it works ok for me now. I also disabled composite.

I don't know if this will help but just in case....
arunvragh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-07, 01:56 AM   #47
compotatoj

I solved the problem (at least for me). What happened and was causing my card to freak out was that my fan popped off and it is dangling from the heatsink. My card overheated and that is what caused all the graphical glitches. Sorry for the trouble!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wowmyfandied_small.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	24575  
Old 03-17-07, 06:48 AM   #48
arunvragh

The problem persists for me on the 9631 driver. I rarely get a logins screen and if i do the over head is so heavy that it crawls to the next screen. mine is a GeForce2 Integrated on-board an Asus motherboard with an Athlon XP 1700 processor.

Strange that 8776 should work but not 9631. I am on a current feisty - developmental no doubt- but stable in everything else except the nvidia part of it.

i have disabled composite - even removed compiz - no go.
arunvragh is offline   Reply With Quote