Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-22-07, 02:10 PM   #49
arunvragh

Default Re: nVidia driver 1.0-96xx causes glitches, artifacts and crashes on Ubuntu Edgy/Feis

Is there ever going to be a fix for this problem or are we poor cousins (with a GeForce2 integrated) going to live with this problem... If Nvidia makes 9631 work with Feisty and GeForce2 it will be good. After all this is a legacy driver isn't it?

Otherwise to hell with Nvidia for the new notebook I am going to buy.. I am not giving up Linux for some stupid hardware company's pick headedness. To HELL WITH NVIDIA
arunvragh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-07, 12:28 PM   #50
MartinE

Default Re: nVidia driver 1.0-96xx causes glitches, artifacts and crashes on Ubuntu Edgy/Feis

The bug does persist for me, too. I have no time and no intention to wait for a year until nVidia manages to fix this - there's no working driver for newer kernels, there won't ever be a working driver for newer kernels, and the old, working drivers will never be backported to newer kernels. It is clear to me now that the integrated GeForce2 is effectively unsupported, no matter how loud you deny the fact.

To make one thing clear, my biggest concern is not the introduction of a regression into the driver. *Stuff like that happens.* What I'm just mad about is your strict refusal to even consider helping me in getting 1.0-8776 to run - because nVidia decided that it was unsupported. Who on Earth releases a new driver to the masses, obviously not tested thouroughly enough, then immediately discontinues support for all older drivers which were working correctly, and finally answers those customers who find the new driver to be unusable that they are unable to fix the bug, since they cannot reproduce the problem, no matter what you say or do, and that they won't help in getting the old driver to run, because it is unsupported, and touching unsupported source code is, like, against your religion?

nVidia: You succeeded in convincing me that customer-support-wise you are even worse than Deutsche Telekom. And that is quite an achievement. I'm going to find a new graphics card, preferably an open-source solution. Let's look at these sweet Intel boards...

So without further flaming, goodbye to you.
You've just lost another customer.
MartinE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-07, 09:21 PM   #51
Rectifier

Default Re: nVidia driver 1.0-96xx causes glitches, artifacts and crashes on Ubuntu Edgy/Feisty

Just signing in to say I'm annoyed too about the lack of integrated GeForce2 support. I've been waiting long enough, and now that I'm going to Feisty, I have to lose all 3d support and fall back to the "nv" driver? Or buy a new card? This card ran 3d games on windows fine up until just a year or so ago, and it can't even render a window under linux?

Come on, just release a 96xx driver that will do compositing on a geforce2 integrated and compile on Feisty we'll get off your back. These Asus boards are relatively common hardware, a lot of people will be right pissed when Feisty is out of beta and X will not run on their upgraded system.

In fact arunvragh's setup is exactly the same as what I have! How many more of us are out there? We're the ones who bought your first Nforce chipset, but how quickly you forget us.
Rectifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-07, 10:32 AM   #52
arunvragh

This issue is all over in the Feisty Discussions Forum... many later day cards are also having this problem- I think NVIDIA and Ubuntu don't gel. I also think it is the unnecessary restricted manager in feisty which compounds the problem. It doesn't enable me to turn on Desktop Effects or enable me to use the nvidia driver with all its effects.
But 8776 doesn't load if the linux restricted modules common is not installed. Strange things happen..

I have never evr faced so much of an issue with any hardware driver except Nvidia.
Old 04-24-07, 04:39 AM   #53
arunvragh

Well, I am on archlinux voodoo and loving it. But here too i have to use the 8776 driver as 9631 still presents the same problem. So Nvidia have effectively removed legacy 96xx support for GeForce2 integrated boards. I think that's final... Goodbye Nvidia
Old 04-24-07, 11:39 AM   #54
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: nVidia driver 1.0-96xx causes glitches, artifacts and crashes on Ubuntu Edgy/Feisty

arunvragh,
I'm not sure what you're referring to, as no support was removed for any hardware. The driver README documents, and has always documented which GPUs are supported in which driver versions.

thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-07, 03:52 PM   #55
arunvragh

Netlama:

Here are my xorg.conf file and Xorg.0.log with archlinux for the 9631 driver. Can u decipher anything?
Attached Files
File Type: log Xorg.0.log (21.1 KB, 160 views)
Old 05-01-07, 03:54 PM   #56
arunvragh

Xorg.conf attached

Old 05-01-07, 03:56 PM   #57
arunvragh

At last
Attached Files
File Type: zip xorg.conf.zip (3.2 KB, 168 views)
Old 05-01-07, 04:18 PM   #58
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

arunvragh,
What is the problem that you're reporting and how can it be reproduced?
Old 05-01-07, 04:29 PM   #59
arunvragh

module building goes without a hitch. When I start X or GDM if i default to init 5 i get a black screen most of the time and my mouse and keyboard stop working. I have to do a manual shutdown. Some times i get the login window with half the screen missing. login just crawls and the desktop appears in patches when i click on the screen. Then sudden freeze, can be after 30 secs or 3 minutes (that is the maximum)

With the patched 8776 driver there are no such problems. How can i reproduce this when nothing moves. No ctrl+alt+f1 or f2 works for me to get into console mode> i am at a loss to know why this happens. I have an asus N766VM mobo- i have the latest bios though it is quite old.

I thought it was specific to feisty but once arch had the same problem, i knew it had to be a driver or mobo issue. i have tried every possible xorg configuration from the forums- beats me...

rgds
arun
Old 05-01-07, 04:32 PM   #60
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Please generate and attach an nvidia-bug-report.log while this problem is present.