Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-01-07, 04:19 PM   #61
arunvragh

Default Re: nVidia driver 1.0-96xx causes glitches, artifacts and crashes on Ubuntu Edgy/Feis

hmmm .. quite an effort this. after about half a dozen startx froze, i logged on to console using ctrl+alt+f2. i am not able to see anything on the terminal. so this bug report is generated from the console. attached.

When i get a freeze both the scroll lock and caps lock leds blink on and off in unison - i don't know if this will help

anyway here it is...

rgds
arun
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.log.zip (23.5 KB, 161 views)
arunvragh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-07, 05:33 PM   #62
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: nVidia driver 1.0-96xx causes glitches, artifacts and crashes on Ubuntu Edgy/Feisty

Are you stating that restarting X 6 times in a row results in the hang? If so, how are you restarting X?

The failure in your bug report is here:
WW) NVIDIA(0): The NVIDIA X driver has encountered too many errors. Falling
(WW) NVIDIA(0): back to legacy PCI mode.
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Error recovery failed.
(EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Error recovery failed.
(EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***

Does this problem persist if you set NvAGP to 0 ?
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-07, 10:51 PM   #63
arunvragh

Default Re: nVidia driver 1.0-96xx causes glitches, artifacts and crashes on Ubuntu Edgy/Feis

No No. It just happened that I had to start it 6 times in the last instance before i could startx. i do it with shell login and startx. Because it starts windowmaker and since it is lightweight less overhead. I will try the NvAGP=o today and report.

Rgds
Arun
Old 05-02-07, 11:00 AM   #64
arunvragh

It was better. I got the GDM login and booted normally. GLX gears showed only 460 FPS against 650 with 8776. Opened my Home folder. some folders did not appear. Then slowly started appearing, some without the file names. It appears that the screen was being painted slowly. But desktop was OK. Closing Nautilus was a force quit. Ctrl+Alt+F2 . Nvidia bug report attached.

Init 3. tried to uninstall driver. No nvidia-installer found. Compiled 8776- no complaint about the existence of another module. It compiled and installed and now I am back to normal.

I'm clueless.

Rgds
Arun
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.log.zip (23.9 KB, 144 views)
Old 05-09-07, 05:08 AM   #65
Bart Simpson 18

Hi guys,

I also encountered some display errors in Maya 8.5.

My errors were the following:
- when starting Maya 8.5 the screen elements didnt show up
- when scrolling in the Attribute editor menu, all the fonts got messed up because of display draw error
- also the swatches in the Attrib editor -> display draw error

I was really dissapointed and almost gave up.... wanted to return to Maya on Windows when I found this site

http://discussion.autodesk.com/threa...sageID=5499540

They write that you have to do these steps to get Maya running:

Quote:
I solved this with an option in xorg.conf

I put my relevant config here (I don't remember exactly what option was)

Section "Screen"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
Option "DisableGLXRootClipping" "True"
Option "DamageEvents" "True"
Option "RenderAccel" "on"
Option "NvAGP" "1"
Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps"
do not forget to write also

Quote:
Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection
Hope this Info helps some of you guys
Bart Simpson 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-07, 04:27 PM   #66
drbisio

Default Re: nVidia driver 1.0-96xx causes glitches, artifacts and crashes on Ubuntu Edgy/Feisty

Hello,
After many tryes, I have succeeded in installing the Nvidia 9631 driver, but there are problems with it.

I have followed these instructions found in a guide in the italian ubuntu forum:

-1- stopped the kdm manager from console
-2- gave the cmd: "sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9631-pkg1.run -n -s --x-prefix=/usr/lib/xorg/ --kernel-source-path=/usr/src/linux-headers-'uname -r'
-3- gave the cmd: "sudo nvidia-xconfig --no-composite"
-4- modified the last line in "/etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common" file like this:"DISABLED_MODULES="nv"
-5- added the following lines in the xorg.conf file, at the section "Device":
-5a - BusID "PCI:2:0:0" #the pci address was gained from Kinfo center
-5b - Option "NVAGP" "0"
-5c - Option "RenderAccel" "off"
-5d - Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "DFP,TV"
-5e - Option "NoRenderExtensions" "off"
-5f - Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "off"
-5g - Option "Accel" "off"

After this procedure I try to restart the x-server.

If I use the command "/etc/init.d/kdm restart" the KDE environment starts, but suddenly hangs when the desktop manager is loading;
if I use the command "startx", after login, the KDE environment seems to start, but I experience some of the same glitches described in other posts of this thread (ex. menus not drawn correctly, overlapping graphics and text, faulty scrollings etc.)

Please note that, if I omit to add the "BusID" and "Option" entries in the xorg.conf, I can't start the x-server at all (this entries were suggested to fix stability problems in the guide I found, but I don't know what they do precisely...)

Here I submit the copy of my "xorg.conf" file and some log files;
"nvidia-bug-report1.log" file was generated after my first attempt to restart KDE via the "kdm restart" command;
"nvidia-bug-report2.log" and "xorg.0.log" was generated after restarting the x-server via "startx" command.

PS: my graphic device is a "GeForce2 integrated GPU" (id 0x01A0) integrated in my A7N266VM Asus mobo.

Really hope someone could help....
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report2.log (110.4 KB, 150 views)
File Type: log Xorg.0.log (36.4 KB, 138 views)
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (4.6 KB, 151 views)
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report1.log.zip (34.9 KB, 128 views)
drbisio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-07, 01:49 AM   #67
Bart Simpson 18

Hey Dr. Bislo
I am not an expert, but I looked at your xorg.conf and I saw that you added all the

Quote:
Section "Device"
Identifier "nVidia Corporation NVCrush11 [GeForce2 MX Integrated Graphics]"
Driver "nvidia"
BusID "PCI:2:0:0" # I added this line manually
Option "NVAGP" "0" # this line too...
Option "RenderAccel" "off" # and this...
Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "DFP,TV" # and this...
Option "NoRenderExtension" "off" # and this...
Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "off" # and this...
Option "Accel" "off" # and this last.
EndSection
in the Device Section.

What worked for me was adding it in the -> Screen Section.
Also try to experiment with on/off at each option.
Bart Simpson 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-07, 01:40 PM   #68
IntuitiveNipple

Exclamation Re: nVidia driver 1.0-96xx causes glitches, artifacts and crashes on Ubuntu Edgy/Feis

Got the exact same problem here:

Asus A7N266VM Motherboard with GEForce2 MX Integrated Graphics

Ubuntu 7.10 Fiesty fresh installation (open-source drivers)
Ubuntu Restricted Drivers Manager won't enable the Nvidia drivers
Therefore, installed Envy 0.9.3 to automate installation of drivers.

Restart the PC. When gdm starts the login screen is only partially complete (the top half still has the nVidia splash screen showing).

Once the desktop loads, firstly noticed the mouse cursor is garbage (just random bits or artifacts). Working with windows in any application drawing the screen is slooooooow, elements of windows are not painted to screen, moving windows leaves artifacts behind, window updates don't occur.

The previous reports by MartinE match precisely what is happening here.
IntuitiveNipple is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-07, 03:47 PM   #69
IntuitiveNipple

Exclamation Re: nVidia driver 1.0-96xx causes glitches, artifacts and crashes on Ubuntu Edgy/Feis

I tried again, installing Ubuntu 7.10 Desktop to a reformatted disk on the same Asus A7N266VM motherboard.

This time I had the wired Ethernet (100Mbs) connected and Internet access available from the start. (During the previous install was expecting the Wireless network to connect, but it failed).

When Feisty booted for the first time it immediately notified updates were available and I let it install them before doing anything else. (Previously, I had to manually do this and left it until I'd done some other messing about).

This time Restricted Driver Manager responded correctly. When I enabled the Nvidia driver it downloaded an update, installed it, and asked to reboot.

After reboot, the gdm log-in screen appeared. Again the top half was missing but this time it was black - it didn't have the remains of the Nvidia splash-screen showing.

After log-in the desktop seemed okay. From a shell prompt I ran "glxgears -info" and the gears themselves appeared good, and the frame rate was about 515-550 fps.

After closing glxgears and starting other applications, parts of windows again failed to draw, were drawn very slowly, or corrupted in some other way.
Old 05-11-07, 03:49 PM   #70
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I'd like to see an nvidia-bug-report.log generated while this corruption problem is present.
Old 05-11-07, 04:26 PM   #71
IntuitiveNipple

Post Re: nVidia driver 1.0-96xx causes glitches, artifacts and crashes on Ubuntu Edgy/Feis

I'm working on that PC at the moment, so if you need anything else, ask now!

I'm attaching a photograph of the initial log-in screen to this post, and when the problem-PC reboots with the 'nv' driver I'll post from it the bug report and a couple of screen-captures I just took.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00004.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	25583  
Old 05-11-07, 04:30 PM   #72
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I'm confused. Are you stating that this problem is present with the 'nvidia' X driver or the 'nv' X driver?