Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-01-07, 10:38 PM   #1
shungokusatsu
Crysis Ready

Send a message via AIM to shungokusatsu
Default Playstation 3 "Home Network" and Rumble back?

http://kotaku.com/gaming/sony/rumor-...ome-240746.php

http://kotaku.com/gaming/top/sony-bl...aku-240860.php

http://kotaku.com/gaming/top/sony-bl...aku-240860.php

Rumble + tilt?

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/769/769390p1.html

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=15399

GDC is going to be awesome, as Sony stated, "groundbreaking announcements".
4 GB CORSAIR Dominator 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1250 (PC2 10000)
3X EVGA 8800 GTX Ultra Superclocked SLI
2X WD Raptor X 150GB SATA 10,000 rpm 16MB Cache Raid 0
Creative Labs Inspire T7900 7.1 surround sound
PC Power and Cooling T12W 1200 watts
Thermaltake Black Kandalf Case
Dell 3007 WFP XHD 30"
shungokusatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-07, 10:58 PM   #2
kev13dd

Default Re: Playstation 3 "Home Network" and Rumble back?

I'm glad to hear about it all, but my only complaint is the lack of uniformity. They can say it's going to be a requirement for all new games, and introducing rumble back shutsup naysayers

But... now there will be two types of people- those with rumble controllers, those without. And there will be that generation of games that doesn't have rumble features or the new avatar accomplishment stuff. I'm glad they are getting their act together, I just wish they had gotton everything in place before launch

K
Maybe the guys at Shugashack should play around with their gamma correction just a little bit because most of the screenshot are so dark you can't get an idea of what this game is really going to look like
In reference to Doom 3 screenshots from 2001
kev13dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-07, 11:26 PM   #3
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev13dd
I'm glad to hear about it all, but my only complaint is the lack of uniformity. They can say it's going to be a requirement for all new games, and introducing rumble back shutsup naysayers

But... now there will be two types of people- those with rumble controllers, those without. And there will be that generation of games that doesn't have rumble features or the new avatar accomplishment stuff. I'm glad they are getting their act together, I just wish they had gotton everything in place before launch

K
Let us not forget that the PSX originally did not have Rumble aswell and then they introduced it later in its life, after they released the Dual Analog Controller so its not like this hasn't happened before. I dout rumble would ever be a requirement since it doesn't add as much to gameplay as the motion sensing does. I can see them making it now optional to developers since before they told developers that they couldn't implement it in PS3 games (thats why the Logitech Wheel works with PS3 but has no Force Feedback).
Old 03-01-07, 11:35 PM   #4
kev13dd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter Bandit
It's not like every single game on the PS2 had rumble support though. I certainly enjoy the force-feedback, but I never considered the lack of it a game-breaking feature. The only thing that would really anger me about the situation is if they started selling Sixaxis rumble controllers for the same price as the current Sixaxis.
The game support isn't the biggest issue- the biggest issue is controllers. Sure you can download rumble support for a favorite game, but can you download rumble support for a controller? No. Is it going to turn into an "early adpoter gets screwed" situation? I've always maintained that people can't complain in situations like that- cause they got what they paid for in the first place. But this is different than "PS1 getting rumble features later in life". The tech wasn't there are the beginning. The tech was there for the beginning of this generation, and Sony came out and said "who needs it, it's not important in the least". For them to impliment it now... I'm just not a fan of individuality when it comes to consoles (don't get me started on Core/Premium crap from Microsoft). The thing that makes consoles what they are is the fact they are uniform. Developers can always depend on a single set of variables to always work on the console. I know rumble in a controller is different than consoles lacking hard drives, but I see it as a step in the wrong direction, and a step on the toes of the people who grabbed the PS3 at launch

I support rumble, I just wish Sony had supported it since the beginning of the console instead of making the lame excuse of "might mess with sixaxis". Because if they have the tech to do it now, they had the tech to do it then

K
Maybe the guys at Shugashack should play around with their gamma correction just a little bit because most of the screenshot are so dark you can't get an idea of what this game is really going to look like
Old 03-01-07, 11:38 PM   #5
|MaguS|

Man you love bitching about Sony... How about you just shut your trap, I mean you don't even own a PS3 so why cry about early adaptors getting screwed, not like your one of them. I mean im an early adaptor and im not crying, atleast this situation isn't the same about how screwed early X360 adaptors are getting with the rumored revision of the X360 (yet all you support it fully, hmmm).
Old 03-01-07, 11:48 PM   #6
kev13dd

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
Man you love bitching about Sony... How about you just shut your trap, I mean you don't even own a PS3 so why cry about early adaptors getting screwed, not like your one of them. I mean im an early adaptor and im not crying, atleast this situation isn't the same about how screwed early X360 adaptors are getting with the rumored revision of the X360 (yet all you support it fully, hmmm).
So you can only bitch about things you have? I suppose I can't say rapists are bad because I havn't tried it myself, right? Your argument is pure crap- I'm a freaking consumer. Its in my full right to be upset about a companies decision for a product I don't own, because their decisions influence my decisions to buy

And why when suddenly someone disses one company, they must love the other? I bought a X360. It crashed in days due to a crappy soldering job on the motherboard. I dislike Microsoft decision to run both a core and a premium system, and their decision to rush their console to the market without quality control. And their new revision? I dislike that idea just as much. When Sony released the slim PS2, they did exactly what a console revision should do. Introduce upgraded technology that makes the console run better without adding functionality that alientates people- something Microsoft should focus on

Notice how I maintained my dislike of CONSOLES not being uniform? I didn't say Microsoft, I didn't say Sony. If a company makes a decision I think is crappy, I'll say so. These threads aren't happy promoting of any one company, and it doesn't have to hold comments only in complete support of what's being talked about either

It also doesn't have to hold comments by people who have nothing to do but scream "fanboy!" accusations either, but guess we're stuck with that **** in here too. Congrats

K
Old 03-02-07, 12:10 AM   #7
Marvel_us
FOOL!

Well this is not really that big of a deal so I don't see early adopters getting screwed.

You don't have to go buy another console. You just have to shell out about 60, maybe 70 for a new controller. No matter how much crap Sony talked before they are doing what is right now and that's listening to the people by offering rumble.

60gb PS3 Owner
PSNid: Marvel_us
Marvel_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-07, 12:19 AM   #8
shungokusatsu
Crysis Ready

Send a message via AIM to shungokusatsu

I'm shocked you guys are more focused on rumble, Home has so many great features.

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/895.html
4 GB CORSAIR Dominator 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1250 (PC2 10000)
3X EVGA 8800 GTX Ultra Superclocked SLI
2X WD Raptor X 150GB SATA 10,000 rpm 16MB Cache Raid 0
Creative Labs Inspire T7900 7.1 surround sound
PC Power and Cooling T12W 1200 watts
Thermaltake Black Kandalf Case
Dell 3007 WFP XHD 30"
shungokusatsu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-07, 12:43 AM   #9
Bad_Boy
god of war.

Send a message via AIM to Bad_Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shungokusatsu
I'm shocked you guys are more focused on rumble, Home has so many great features.

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/895.html
Yeah I'm very interested in this.

Heres the most interesting piece to me..
Quote:
An inside source close to Sony made a post on the IGN boards a few weeks ago talking about a new feature that Sony would be implementing.
Now the interesting thing is, nobody believed this guy when he made the claims, but looking back at his quotes, and the information we have today...he was definitely on to something.

Here are some of the quotes from IGN..

Quote:
Has anyone else heard the rumors of a major Sony Online upgrade? Apparently the update will make the Xbox LIVE interface look antiquated in comparison. Apparently the interface is set up like a Virtual Town where each user has their own virtual apartment. Within your apartment you store your collection of acheivements and virtual trophies to show off to any "visitors" (i.e. people on your Friends list). Your friends could visit you if you are "home" (i.e. online)and once inside they could "walk around" your apartment and view how you've decorated your place. But more importantly, they could listen to any music or watch videos that you've got in your place (i.e. content you've stored on your PS3). Furthermore, your friends could join you for a game of cards or other simple games while listening to your music or even running a movie on your virtual TV (again using data on your PS3 HD). Once outside of your apartment you could visit the virtual Movie Theater to download--what else?--video content, visit the virtual Arcade, and other more exciting areas that I'm not at liberty to discuss yet...

The bottomline is that the interface is going to get a major overhaul and it's supposed to be very slick and user friendly. It will make apparent the advantages of the PS3 hardware and--dare I say--the new Sony Online Network.

If this has already been posted I apologise in advance! Otherwise, you heard it here....FIRST!
Quote:
Update: There's good news and some bad news.

Good news: Beta is up and running...looking fantastic!
Bad news: Release has been pushed back to the Fall.

Feel free to chalk this up as another unsubstantiated rumour...
Quote:
"Rumour has it" that part of the delay has to do with the extent of the overhaul required to support such a vibrant online experience.

There is one additional benefit to the delay; Sony is aware of this space and you should feel free to post creative ideas in this space with the knowledge that there is still time to implement them into the final version.

One last thing. If you doubt that the industry is watching this space, I offer the following private message I received....

Date Sent: 2:14pm
Date Read: 6:40pm
Subject: Hi
Body: Who are you?

Yes, this could all be unsubstatiated fantasy, but it may help to know who bencousins is...

Boards Name: bencousins (VIP)
Title: VIP - SCEE
UID: 25544
Profile Added: 08/20/2000 6:44:33 AM
Profile Last Updated: 02/05/2007 6:13:39 AM
Total Number of Posts: 2,514 View Latest Posts
Last Board Login Date: 02/05/2007 6:13:39 AM
Last Board Post Date: 09/04/2005 6:21:00 PM
Watched by Count: 118

It should be noted that Ben is no longer with SCEE after realizing the that the profits from Sony and Lionhead were insufficient. http://www.bencousins.com

Here's to reading some creative ideas of how YOU think these virtual towns and apartments could be improved!

Cheers!
Quote:
I don't intend to get too technical but here's a hint...the PS3 reserves 96MB for its OS (operating system). The XB360? A mere 32MB. Why does Sony need THREE TIMES the resources?!? Most programmers were perplexed at this decision, but it will all become clear this Fall. One look at the Virtual Town, complete with your Virtual Apartments, with streaming video and music in your apartment for all friends to share and you too will be a believer.

All in the fullness of time!

Cheers!
Quote:
The Beta version of the new online interface will be shown behind closed doors at GDC. Sony is very interested in getting 3rd parties on board to one-up the acheivement system of LIVE.
Old 03-02-07, 12:45 AM   #10
stjuart

All we need now is for them to add FF to my DFP and I am all set. I could care less about the force feedback on the controller, but a wheel is crap without it.
stjuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-07, 01:04 AM   #11
Marvel_us
FOOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Boy
Yeah I'm very interested in this.

Heres the most interesting piece to me..

Now the interesting thing is, nobody believed this guy when he made the claims, but looking back at his quotes, and the information we have today...he was definitely on to something.

Here are some of the quotes from IGN..
Whoa, that is pretty damn interesting. Everytime I hear people saying "myspace" like features it turned me off and I never looked into what it was all about. It would be pretty amazing if they did something like that though. I'm guessing we won't see it at GDC unless someone can break some rules.

60gb PS3 Owner
PSNid: Marvel_us
Marvel_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-07, 01:12 AM   #12
Bad_Boy
god of war.

Send a message via AIM to Bad_Boy

Yeah I'm with you on that. Myspace is stupid to me, Mii's are lame, and Achievements are ok but I could do without, but when you combine everything in a game sensitive environment for the community and add other features (like video chat, music/video streaming with your friends for example), it sounds really interesting. I really wonder what they have in the works.