Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-14-07, 04:32 PM   #169
Richteralan
The Enigma

Send a message via ICQ to Richteralan Send a message via MSN to Richteralan
Default Re: Test Drive Unlimited

Now I just hope for future patches/updates they can add more cars.
Richteralan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-07, 04:50 PM   #170
OWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt_Ram
OMG!!! what are you guys using to run this thing lol. i started @ 1600x1200 2xTAASS 16xAF. and it was a slide show! im now down to NO AA @1280x1024, and it made no diference! the stuttering is still SOOO bad its unplayable ..

what settings are you guys using? oh, and im using 97.44's
Yeah, my performance isn't that great. I'm having to use 1680x1050 2xAA/16xAF to keep things above 30 fps at all times.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-07, 05:55 PM   #171
agentkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWA
Yeah, my performance isn't that great. I'm having to use 1680x1050 2xAA/16xAF to keep things above 30 fps at all times.
Im wondering if we are talking about performance related stuttering or the hitching thats related to the rather small pre-caching and only happens when you drive faster into a texture heavy area, like the main city? TDU is extremely hard on the CPU, it wouldnt surprise me at all if both cores are pegged at 100%. Im not saying its super smooth for me all the time but it never gets unplayable. Maybe its worth to try to play with CPU affinity and the AMD CPU drivers???

BTW, Ive had a few really fun races with slaWter and we even thought of a new "race" mode. Basically we were playing "cat and mouse", where one car is leading (and driving around 50-70km/h (50mph)) and the other car is chasing the leader and has to make a surprising overtaking manouver and try to escape and lead for one or two kilometers (1 mile). If he successfully leads, he is the one that starts the next round in the leading position and if he loses, he is again in chasing position and tries to escape once more.

I was using a Lotus Esprit V8 (Tuning stage no.3), a class D car, and slaWter drove a class C Mercedes CLK - DTM edition. Basically it was rpm vs. torque and it was mad fun. BTW, the game has drafting and it was exciting to have such close chases at well above 200km/h! slaWter is a very fast driver and he has won most of the chases and leads! Congrats again and thanks for the races! It was mad fun.

Intel I7-920 aircooled by Prolimatech Megahalems @ 3.8Ghz (200x19) | Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R | OCZ Platinum 3x2GB DDR3-1600 RAM (7-7-7-24) @ 1600 | Gainward GTX 480 | WD Raptor 74GB + 150GB + Samsung 1TB | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair AX850 Gold | Coolermaster Stacker 830 silver | Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 | Logitech G15 keyboard | Logitech G25 Racing Wheel | Sharp LC-46 XL1E (gaming and work)
F CliffyB.
agentkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-07, 06:19 PM   #172
Burnt_Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWA
holly ****, and your running SLi! hope a patch, and some drivers fix it. can you imagine trying to run it with a 6800U or something similar .. wonder how ATi is making out.
Burnt_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-07, 06:21 PM   #173
Burnt_Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentkay
Im wondering if we are talking about performance related stuttering or the hitching thats related to the rather small pre-caching and only happens when you drive faster into a texture heavy area, like the main city? TDU is extremely hard on the CPU, it wouldnt surprise me at all if both cores are pegged at 100%. Im not saying its super smooth for me all the time but it never gets unplayable. Maybe its worth to try to play with CPU affinity and the AMD CPU drivers???

BTW, Ive had a few really fun races with slaWter and we even thought of a new "race" mode. Basically we were playing "cat and mouse", where one car is leading (and driving around 50-70km/h (50mph)) and the other car is chasing the leader and has to make a surprising overtaking manouver and try to escape and lead for one or two kilometers (1 mile). If he successfully leads, he is the one that starts the next round in the leading position and if he loses, he is again in chasing position and tries to escape once more.

I was using a Lotus Esprit V8 (Tuning stage no.3), a class D car, and slaWter drove a class C Mercedes CLK - DTM edition. Basically it was rpm vs. torque and it was mad fun. BTW, the game has drafting and it was exciting to have such close chases at well above 200km/h! slaWter is a very fast driver and he has won most of the chases and leads! Congrats again and thanks for the races! It was mad fun.
from what ive read over at the official forums, is that certain steering wheels are causing the stuttering. for EG the MS Force Feedback, which i happen to have
Old 03-14-07, 07:42 PM   #174
Jackrabbit710
The NVNEWS thread killer

To all with the stuttering issue, I had the same thing, The only way to repair it was to delete the force feedback reg entries for my wheel (but backed them up) so I have no force feedback but at least it plays really smooth now.
Oh and Make sure you enable the AA in game, if you enable it through the control panel it runs really slow, so just enable the transparency AA in control panel as well as 16x AF.

Here are some screens of the graphics quality on mine, never dips lower than around 40fps (estimate)

Asus P5W Deluxe
SB Audigy 2 ZS
Jackrabbit710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-07, 08:25 PM   #175
MowTin

Quote:
OMG!!! what are you guys using to run this thing lol. i started @ 1600x1200 2xTAASS 16xAF. and it was a slide show! im now down to NO AA @1280x1024, and it made no diference! the stuttering is still SOOO bad its unplayable ..

what settings are you guys using? oh, and im using 97.44's
I had it set to application controlled and 4xaa in game. It ran smoot except for a minor infrequent but still annoying stutter.

I was running 1600x1200 4xaa all max on my 8800 GTS.
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-07, 10:21 PM   #176
Burnt_Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin
I had it set to application controlled and 4xaa in game. It ran smoot except for a minor infrequent but still annoying stutter.

are you using a wheel?

Old 03-15-07, 08:05 AM   #177
DCult

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter
Thanks agentkay
Well my CLK is a B class car, even more horsepower than the Gallardo (both without tuning). Our cars were very equal nevertheless.
The game mode you came up with was very funny, great idea man! Draft is a nice feature, that's true.
Now it's time for a Koenigsegg duel, see you tomorrow... in my mirror
btw, maybe we should try Skype tomorrow also.
I wanna race with you guys too! I'm lazy to read all the posts, but do I need a new profile? BTW, i just discovered all the roads in the island and I was rewarded the highest house in the island but I have so many that I don't know which one it is
DCult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-07, 09:08 AM   #178
Burnt_Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin

now that i have my conroller issue fixed temporarily, i set the game up like you have yours, and it run nice. the odd little burp but no big deal!

1600x1200 2XTAASS 16XAF + HDR, max ingame settings
Old 03-15-07, 09:11 AM   #179
OWA

Quote:
from what ive read over at the official forums, is that certain steering wheels are causing the stuttering. for EG the MS Force Feedback, which i happen to have
I'm not using a wheel but for the most part, I just get a little hitching every once in a while (like when a new area is loaded). Well, that was the case until I bought a different car and started driving it. I bought an old Camaro and then things were stuttering like crazy especially in some of the city areas. So, basically I have to keep it parked in the garage. Wish they had an undo button for purchases.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-07, 10:56 AM   #180
agentkay

OWA, you can sell the car, either thru a direct sell where you usually loose half of its original value but receive the money instantly or you can put it up for sale and sell it to another online player. When you put it up to for sale you can pick a price between $1000 and $9,999,999.

DCult, if your profile is an online profile then you dont need to create a new one. If thats the case just send me a PM with your in-game name, and a time and location where we can meet, and I will add you to my friendlist and send you an invite.

BTW, yesterday we figured out how you can chat inside the club house or should I say more less inside the club house. A member just has to enter the club house and host a race and wait and the other member(s) just has(have) to join that race. The cars are then placed on the grid and you can chat here with the "T" key as long as you want, and as long as the TDU server doesnt disconnect you.

Intel I7-920 aircooled by Prolimatech Megahalems @ 3.8Ghz (200x19) | Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R | OCZ Platinum 3x2GB DDR3-1600 RAM (7-7-7-24) @ 1600 | Gainward GTX 480 | WD Raptor 74GB + 150GB + Samsung 1TB | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair AX850 Gold | Coolermaster Stacker 830 silver | Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 | Logitech G15 keyboard | Logitech G25 Racing Wheel | Sharp LC-46 XL1E (gaming and work)
F CliffyB.
agentkay is offline   Reply With Quote