Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-04-07, 04:19 AM   #25
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Default Re: Test Drive Unlimited

So how is it? I played the beta and enjoyed it some... not sure if I will buy it though...
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-07, 03:39 PM   #26
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter
SLR ftw

i take that challange, once i get the game, lets go Saleem against SLR
Old 03-04-07, 08:32 PM   #27
Tork64

They improved a lot from when i was testing the beta. Id like to see mods for this game, or at least a single player trainer that lets you edit stuff.

Some of the stuff ive noticed that have improved from the beta are-

-controls for driving, both car and especially bike are much easier to control now with keyboard, this makes it much more fun. Before in the beta, if you made a move with your bike you were most likely going to crash.
-Windowed mode works as it should now by using -w command under the shortcut.
-Game runs a bit smoother
Samsung Widescreen 920bw
Vista / XP Pro
Tork64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-07, 08:08 PM   #28
agentkay

This game rocks. I dont know what they did but Im having a blast with it and enjoy it a lot more than the 360 version.

The good:

- Physics of the cars are better. They drive more realistic and feel heavier than the 360 cars. The feedback from the tires is better as well.
- Proper AF
- Better looking HDR (with AA )
- Slightly better looking textures
- Much better looking traffic AI cars (polygons and detail)
- Engine sounds seem to be improved
- Excellent framerate (60+fps at maxed out settings 1280x1024/16AF/4AA)

The bad:
- There are sometimes very short pauses (less than half second) when you drive fast into a new area. Not enough pre-caching? Engine limitation?
- LODing of the racing cars could be better, especially the step from low to medium LOD is quite visible.
- I can see some flickering in distant trees but its pretty rare.
- Im not sure if the game supports 5.1 surround sound. Either Im deaf or its quite hard to hear.
- CTD every 3 hours

Verdict: Overall an excellent port of a racing game that is enjoyable for casual/arcade racers but also sim racers. While there are some minor issues, I think the good sides outweight them by far, especially considering its a port. 8.6/10

Intel I7-920 aircooled by Prolimatech Megahalems @ 3.8Ghz (200x19) | Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R | OCZ Platinum 3x2GB DDR3-1600 RAM (7-7-7-24) @ 1600 | Gainward GTX 480 | WD Raptor 74GB + 150GB + Samsung 1TB | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair AX850 Gold | Coolermaster Stacker 830 silver | Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 | Logitech G15 keyboard | Logitech G25 Racing Wheel | Sharp LC-46 XL1E (gaming and work)
F CliffyB.
agentkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-07, 04:23 PM   #29
OWA

Digital download version is available now: http://www.atari.com/us/games/test_d...imited/dvd_rom

I'm giving it a shot. You download a small download manager and then that downloads the game. Downloading at 630 K/sec.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-07, 04:33 PM   #30
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWA
Digital download version is available now: http://www.atari.com/us/games/test_d...imited/dvd_rom

I'm giving it a shot. You download a small download manager and then that downloads the game. Downloading at 630 K/sec.
don't like the fact that it cost the same ammount, download version should be cheaper
Old 03-06-07, 04:36 PM   #31
OWA

Yeah, I agree but I'm kind of impatient.
Old 03-06-07, 05:22 PM   #32
christos

I downloaded the game this morning. You may be dissappointed for now. The game is pretty much unplayable as is. You cannot play online due to a required non-existant patch, and single player hitches every few seconds. You're better off playing the beta. These issues do not occur in the beta, nor in the Eurpoean boxed copy.

Check out the atari forums for more detail. As of now, Atari has found the problem and is in the process of fixing it....hopefully today.
christos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-07, 05:52 PM   #33
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Even though it seems the Digital version is broken for now. I really like the fact most major publishers are putting up new release games for online purchase and download. It's a great bonus for me, as I pay a more reasonable 50-60AUD rather than 80-100AUD.

With EA, surprising as this sounds. They allow you to use their EA Link games on upto 3 PCs at the same time. Which is great for my gf and I who both play The Sims.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-07, 06:25 PM   #34
D!Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos
I downloaded the game this morning. You may be dissappointed for now. The game is pretty much unplayable as is. You cannot play online due to a required non-existant patch, and single player hitches every few seconds. You're better off playing the beta. These issues do not occur in the beta, nor in the Eurpoean boxed copy.

Check out the atari forums for more detail. As of now, Atari has found the problem and is in the process of fixing it....hopefully today.

thats good too hear they working on it , i heard the hitching is real bad for some people.
D!Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-07, 06:53 PM   #35
christos

The issues are allegedly fixed now.
christos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-07, 07:10 PM   #36
OWA

How do you play off-line? It always wants to connect to the TDU servers using a gamespy account and all I want to do is play it off-line. I can't seem to connect to the servers either.

Edit: Geez, nevermind. It helps if you read the screen that tells you how to play offline. Sorry 'bout that.