Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-06-07, 08:15 PM   #37
OWA

Default Re: Test Drive Unlimited

It seems to be running pretty well for me. Looks like they improved performance quite a bit from the beta. With the beta, at 1920x1200 4xAA/16xAF I was usually in the 20s at all times. Performance is much better now. Makes me wonder if something is disabled or something isn't set quite as high.

Edit: Actually, I'm getting the same short-pauses that agentkay mentioned when entering a new area.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-07, 09:20 PM   #38
christos

Well, the main issue now is that you can't actually start the first race with the downloadable version.

People have been downloading the overseas torrent and using their registration key from their purchase to get a full, non stuttering, working game.

At this point, I'll just wait and hopefully atari will fix the issue tonight or tomorrow.

Tomorrow they're emailing all of us who purchased TDU today, a 75% off coupon off of any downloadable game (expires june).
christos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-07, 09:37 PM   #39
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWA
It seems to be running pretty well for me. Looks like they improved performance quite a bit from the beta. With the beta, at 1920x1200 4xAA/16xAF I was usually in the 20s at all times. Performance is much better now. Makes me wonder if something is disabled or something isn't set quite as high.

Edit: Actually, I'm getting the same short-pauses that agentkay mentioned when entering a new area.
OR, driver update?
Old 03-06-07, 10:10 PM   #40
agentkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWA
Iīm using the 97.02 drivers but I think the short-pauses are pre-caching related or the lack of it because the Testdriveunlimited.exe process is using only around 500MB of my system memory.

I also enabled TAA-SS and the performance hit is very small and quite worth it because the regular AA didnīt remove all jaggies on the cars (fenders/wheels), best visible in the showrooms.

BTW, I almost lost my profile because I didnīt want to pay a speeding fine (I alt-tabbed out, and killed the process) and the game started to crash but after the 10th CTD it somehow fixed the savegame but a few things got corrupted: http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/4...titled1zf9.jpg

Intel I7-920 aircooled by Prolimatech Megahalems @ 3.8Ghz (200x19) | Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R | OCZ Platinum 3x2GB DDR3-1600 RAM (7-7-7-24) @ 1600 | Gainward GTX 480 | WD Raptor 74GB + 150GB + Samsung 1TB | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair AX850 Gold | Coolermaster Stacker 830 silver | Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 | Logitech G15 keyboard | Logitech G25 Racing Wheel | Sharp LC-46 XL1E (gaming and work)
F CliffyB.
agentkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-07, 10:14 PM   #41
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

anyone playing on vista with 1680x1050? hdr+aa. hows the performance?
Old 03-07-07, 04:18 AM   #42
DCult

I'm totally hooked in TDU. This game is destroying my sex life e.t.c. I've already reached champion level (450points). It unlocked the hardcore mode, a kind of simulation mode, where cars with great horsepower are almost undrivable with keyboard. I haven't tried the MOMO force, I'll do that in the afternoon. But I have to be honest, I figured out a way to get lot's of 70000 dollars in 15sec or so yesterday, so I completed tasks worthy of almost 100 points.

EDIT: you can get 40000 in 90secs, the 70000s come when you are at champion level.
DCult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-07, 08:42 AM   #43
OWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter
Do you have SLI enabled in Vista? Do you get a performance boost due to SLI?
My performance decreases unfortunately...
No, I'm back to using XP on my main system. I got frustrated just getting games installed under Vista. I didn't get dual-booting working so I have 2 hard drives with XP and games on them and two other drives with Vista and games on them. I just switch cables when I want to use one or the other. For now though, I'm using XP and SLI seems to work okay in TDU. I'll try to check this evening to see if it makes a difference in framerates versus a single card.

Using the 97.92s, btw.
Old 03-07-07, 12:31 PM   #44
Burnt_Ram

anyone play GTR2? im curious as to how the physics are compared to GTR2. i know GTR2 is a true sim, and thats what i prefer, but if it's not *too* arcadish i might buy it.
Burnt_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-07, 12:34 PM   #45
Burnt_Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWA
Digital download version is available now: http://www.atari.com/us/games/test_d...imited/dvd_rom

I'm giving it a shot. You download a small download manager and then that downloads the game. Downloading at 630 K/sec.
i cant seem to figure out how to D/L it on the link you have given? i dont see anything releated to digital download.
Old 03-07-07, 12:35 PM   #46
OWA

I think agentkay addressed your question in this post:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...1&postcount=37

I have GTR2 but I haven't played it enough to make a recommendation based on that. Some of the other people posting in this thread have though so I'm sure you'll get a response.
Old 03-07-07, 12:37 PM   #47
OWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt_Ram
i cant seem to figure out how to D/L it on the link you have given? i dont see anything releated to digital download.
You're right! The link has been removed. Someone earlier said there was an issue with the digital version so maybe they removed the link until things are straightened out.
Old 03-07-07, 12:43 PM   #48
Burnt_Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWA
You're right! The link has been removed. Someone earlier said there was an issue with the digital version so maybe they removed the link until things are straightened out.
ahh, ok. guess im not loosing it!