Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-07-07, 12:45 PM   #49
Burnt_Ram

Default Re: Test Drive Unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWA
I think agentkay addressed your question in this post:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...1&postcount=37

I have GTR2 but I haven't played it enough to make a recommendation based on that. Some of the other people posting in this thread have though so I'm sure you'll get a response.
thanks for that. i think i might just have to give it a shot once the digital D/L is again available
Burnt_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-07, 01:09 PM   #50
Jackrabbit710
The NVNEWS thread killer

This is one game I have been anxiously waiting to recieve! My copy should be here tomorrow.
If its anything like mercedes benz world racing ill be happy as I used to spend hours and hours using my feedback wheel just driving around the island, doing realistic overtaking manouvers and sensible driving so it was a treat when i did put my foot down
I dont think im even going to play it until I get my new E6600, mobo, ram, and Hdd installed this weekend though so I can start fresh.

How about starting an online NVNews TDU club? I hear you can have 16 people in the club.
Asus P5W Deluxe
SB Audigy 2 ZS
Jackrabbit710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-07, 01:23 PM   #51
Burnt_Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter
Ah I see. I tried it once with XP and SLI was working correctly too. Thanks anyway.

Burnt_Ram, TDU isn't a simulation like GTR2, LFS or rFactor. It's more like PGR or some older NFS.
thx slaWter, i do realize it's not a *sim* but if it's not too arcadish i can live with that. i read the physics are actually not that bad.

now atleast my bud's will be able to play one of my racing games, there not really the sim croud
Burnt_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-07, 01:29 PM   #52
ynnek

I dunno.. maybe I'm missing something here.

But all I imagine is driving on a small island, with traffic, with a bunch of insane reckless teenage drivers, in indestructible cars.

what was the appeal again?
ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-07, 03:28 PM   #53
MowTin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynnek
I dunno.. maybe I'm missing something here.

But all I imagine is driving on a small island, with traffic, with a bunch of insane reckless teenage drivers, in indestructible cars.

what was the appeal again?
My ideal game would be:

1. Freedom to drive anywhere within a large region. Mix of highway, city, and rural driving.

2. Traffic, stop lights, signs, police.

3. Real physics for car handling and collisions.

4. Real car makes that handle like their real life counterparts.

5. Cutting edge graphics.

I think this may be the closest I've seen to my dream game. I know the collisions and driving physics aren't that great but how bad is it?

How close does this game come to all of these?

I can't find a single game in existence that has all of these.

Does anyore remember VETTE?

I always hopped that one day someone would make VETTE except with using all the modern graphics and physics engines we have today.

Currently I play live for speed. I only wish I had a LFS that had better graphics and gave me freedom to drive in a city with traffic.

Oh, and does this game properly support MOMO and other wheels? I hate it when the brake is also reverse and you can't change it.
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-07, 03:35 PM   #54
OWA

I'm back to having bad performance. I'm in the 20s again. I'm also getting a sound-looping issue but it usually don't crash after looping 4 or 5 times.

Edit: Ignore the 0 in the screenshot. The framerate was around 22-23. I'm not sure why the 0 showed up.

So, yesterday, before buying my house I was in the 40-50 range most of the time. Now I'm in the 20 range after buying my house. I have the same car. Not a lot going on in this screenshot either.

1920x1200
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-07, 03:50 PM   #55
ynnek

Yea, that does sound ideal... but when you get into the meat of the gameplay.

If you had realistic damage, how do you deal with crazy people running into you? Remember, you aren't the only person speeding around like a lunatic.

What happens if you do crash? what are the repercussions? Remember, if you set the repercussions too low, you get maniacs that drive around without a care.. if you set them too high, then it might be too strict, that nobody will have fun.

Same goes with traffic and police.. Do you really want to sit and deal with virtual traffic? It sounds cool, but actual gameplay.. If its just like real life, traffic is very frustrating, especially if you have realistic damage.

Same goes with cops.. What happens if the cops catch you? do you get your liscence suspended and your car impounded? Does that mean you can't play the game anymore? If the repercussions are too low, then what stops people from driving around like lunatics, ruining your day?

Test Drive Unlimited sounds like it would fun to try out.. but I can't imagine myself playing it for very long.. Unless you are really into online arcade races and the virtual social aspect of it. It may be cool try drive thru virtual Hawaii.. Maybe even be somewhat humorous to see all the other lunatics driving around.. as long as damage is turned off.. maybe even collisions..

I mean imagine this.. Your driving calmly down a scenic route, enjoying the view.. then suddenly you get punted from behind from some lunatic for no apparent reason.

or ever better. your racing along this road, only to have some other person just messing around in the middle of the road..

Cities filled iwth traffic jams because of other players driving over sidewalks and through grass.

Thats what I imagine TDU would turn into..

Maybe some of you guys that actually play this game can prove me wrong.
ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-07, 04:07 PM   #56
OWA

Quote:
Same goes with traffic and police.. Do you really want to sit and deal with virtual traffic? It sounds cool, but actual gameplay.. If its just like real life, traffic is very frustrating, especially if you have realistic damage.
Definitely not. I've already gotten frustrated with just 2 cars in front of me each stopping for the stop sign. I just go around the cars now instead of waiting.

Old 03-07-07, 04:25 PM   #57
Richteralan
The Enigma

Send a message via ICQ to Richteralan Send a message via MSN to Richteralan

Quote:

If you had realistic damage, how do you deal with crazy people running into you? Remember, you aren't the only person speeding around like a lunatic.

What happens if you do crash? what are the repercussions? Remember, if you set the repercussions too low, you get maniacs that drive around without a care.. if you set them too high, then it might be too strict, that nobody will have fun.

Same goes with cops.. What happens if the cops catch you? do you get your liscence suspended and your car impounded? Does that mean you can't play the game anymore? If the repercussions are too low, then what stops people from driving around like lunatics, ruining your day?

Test Drive Unlimited sounds like it would fun to try out.. but I can't imagine myself playing it for very long.. Unless you are really into online arcade races and the virtual social aspect of it. It may be cool try drive thru virtual Hawaii.. Maybe even be somewhat humorous to see all the other lunatics driving around.. as long as damage is turned off.. maybe even collisions..

I mean imagine this.. Your driving calmly down a scenic route, enjoying the view.. then suddenly you get punted from behind from some lunatic for no apparent reason.

or ever better. your racing along this road, only to have some other person just messing around in the middle of the road..

Cities filled iwth traffic jams because of other players driving over sidewalks and through grass.

Thats what I imagine TDU would turn into..

Maybe some of you guys that actually play this game can prove me wrong.
I agree with you. I felt similar when I was in the open beta.
I played for 4 days and I felt there's nothing fresh anymore, especially you got tons of cash + lots of cars.
Richteralan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-07, 04:26 PM   #58
MowTin

Quote:

I was really only thinking about single player. I think everyone who drives would like to play a game where they get a chance to drive wrecklessly...blowing past red lights...driving on the wrong side of the road...evading police...weaving in and out of highway traffic. But it's no fun if you can't crash.

If you crash you go back to the garage.

Now the online system should just reward non-crashers with better cars. So, if you want to be a jerk and ram into people all day then fine but you'll never get to drive the shiny new lamborghini.

I really love the idea of this game...I just hope the wheel controllers are well supported (unlike most ports). This could really be a cool game.
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-07, 04:37 PM   #59
Richteralan
The Enigma

Send a message via ICQ to Richteralan Send a message via MSN to Richteralan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin
I was really only thinking about single player. I think everyone who drives would like to play a game where they get a chance to drive wrecklessly...blowing past red lights...driving on the wrong side of the road...evading police...weaving in and out of highway traffic. But it's no fun if you can't crash.

If you crash you go back to the garage.

Now the online system should just reward non-crashers with better cars. So, if you want to be a jerk and ram into people all day then fine but you'll never get to drive the shiny new lamborghini.

I really love the idea of this game...I just hope the wheel controllers are well supported (unlike most ports). This could really be a cool game.
There's already a game satisfy all these.....

Need for Speed
Richteralan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-07, 04:48 PM   #60
OWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter
Bought an S7, impressive car!
Are you playing single player or multiplayer? I'm having an issue with single player. I bought my house and so I'm on my way to my first race. I get there but I can't get anything to happen. I choose single player but I get the screen below. None of the options work though. I have to hit escape and quit to get out of that. I'm a little suspicious b/c it has the TDU servers unavailable at the top even though I'm trying to play SP only.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TestDriveUnlimited Race.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	24430