Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-03-07, 07:53 AM   #1
valmar

Default cannot see 7300 LE DVI output in Debian, ok in Fedora

Dear all,

I have two linux distributions installed side by side on my hard disk. I have Fedora and Sidux, a distribution derived from Debian unstable. When I boot in Fedora, everything is fine and I can see on my LCD the DVI output of the 7300LE card. If I boot in Sidux, X does not start and all I see is an underscore character on the top left part of the screen.

BUT....

If I boot in Fedora and THEN in Sidux, everything works fine, and X starts fine. It's almost like Fedora initializes something in the card that is needed to have X start and Sidux doesn't. However, this initialization is remembered after a reboot. If I leave my machine off for some hours, however, I have to do the Fedora-Sidux switch again to have X start.

I can reproduce the bug this way. I boot in Fedora, X starts, then I boot in Sidux, X starts. I poweroff my machine, take electricity out and press the ON button (cleans the internal state of things like the network card, the graphic card, etc.). I boot Sidux, and X does not start and I see the underscore character. I boot Fedora and then Sidux and X starts.

Very bizarre, does anyone know what kind of magic is Fedora doing to make the card start ok?

Thank you in advance

Valerio
valmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-07, 11:41 AM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: cannot see 7300 LE DVI output in Debian, ok in Fedora

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46678
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-07, 09:01 PM   #3
valmar

I apologize. I forgot to mention that I had already tried the relevant solutions proposed in the stability post, but came to nothing.

Also I am not attaching any bug report because the machine crashes and I have to reboot, so I cannot access any consoles to run the script-. Finally, I am not attaching any installer log beacause the installation goes fine.

I attach the xorg log files of two runs where X doesn't start an where X starts (the "old" log file). I hope it helps . Please let me know if I can provide even more information.

Thank you for your help and I apologize again for not being very clear in the first post.

Valerio
Attached Files
File Type: zip Xorg.log.zip (8.3 KB, 107 views)
Old 03-04-07, 09:09 PM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Please detail everything that you've done to isolate the problem, and attach an nvidia-bug-report.log. Thanks
Old 03-05-07, 02:24 PM   #5
valmar

My hardware:
CPU: AMD 3000+
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-K8N51GMF-9 (Bios: F7, latest)
Card: XFX Nvidia 6300LE.
Output: DVI
Display: BenQ FP202W
Driver version: 9746

Operatiing Systems:
Linux Fedora Core 6 (Kernel 2.6.18)
Sidux 1.0 Chaos (Debian Unstable, kernel 2.6.20).

When X does not start, I see a black screen with an underscore on the top left. The keyboard is alive, but I cannot switch to any console.

I can reproduce the bug this way. I boot in Fedora, X starts, then I boot in Sidux, X starts. I poweroff my machine, take electricity out and press the ON button (cleans the internal state of things like the network card, the graphic card, etc.). I boot Sidux, and X does not start and I see the underscore character. I boot Fedora and then reboot in Sidux and X starts again.

Mandriva One has same behavior as Sidux .
Boot -> Mandriva One = X does no start
Boot -> Fedora -> reboot -> Mandriva One = X starts

I attach the debug file (before X is started since after it starts and crashes I cannot do anything)
Old 03-05-07, 02:25 PM   #6
valmar

Here is the log file
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (139.0 KB, 110 views)
Old 03-05-07, 02:36 PM   #7
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

According to your bug report, you're not using the F7 BIOS, but rather F2.

When X is hung, are you able to ssh to the system and generate a bug report?

However, the fact that this works in FC, and not Mandriva or Debian suggests that this is a kernel or Xorg bug. Can you isolate whether the problem persists (or appears) with a recent kernel.org kernel in FC & Debian?

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 03-05-07, 02:56 PM   #8
valmar

I thought the same. I think it is a kernel or xorg bug. Would you like me to send you the config files of the two kernels.

Re: bios.

Strange, I just update an hour ago from f2 to f7 and this is what is shown n the bios screen when I turn on the PC. However, when I installed the driver it was f2. I know for sure it works with Fedora kernel 2.6.19. I will see if I can test the other drivers. I will also try an older debian kernel

Thank you for your help

Valerio

Old 03-05-07, 03:09 PM   #9
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

What I'd suggest is building a kernel.org kernel in both FC & Debian/Mandriva using the configuration that the FC kernel which is working has. This will allow you to determine whether the kernel is the problem.