Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-18-07, 03:51 AM   #1
Deltoid

Default CPU at 100% utilization when viewing flash objects

Configuration: I have an Nvidia GeForce Go 6800 with 256MB on a Dell Inspiron 9300 notebook with 2GB RAM, and Windows XP media center edition with SP2.

Problem: Web pages with Flash objects on them causes my CPU utilization to go up to 100% of capacity. The result is that my notebook is brought down to its knees, crawling and gasping. The problem seems to be specific to viewing Flash objects. For example, even the Nvidia home page with it's flash animation at the banner brings my CPU utilization to about 50%, with a fluctuation up and down of about 20%. If I open a few pages like that, then it's curtains. This happens even if there are no animations, such as when flash objects (.swf files) are used for audio with no video. The browser I primarily use is Firefox, but it's even worse with IE7. Firefox has extensions that enables blocking flash and graphics in general, and that brings the CPU down to normal. So it seems clear that the way the video card handles these graphics is the problem. Blocking the graphics would be a solution (though not a happy one), except that I subscribe to a language podcast that uses flash (.swf) that you click on to hear the audio, so blocking it means that I wouldn't be able to listen to the audio. This problem occurs without playing the audio, just bringing up any page with flash objects is what causes the problem. The greater the number of flash objects, the worse the problem. And Iíve opened pages locally offline, so Iíve eliminated the internet as an issue. Further, Iíve run quite a bit of virus and spyware software, and thatís just not the cause. Thereís no evidence that thereís anything else wrong with my notebook other than this.

Any help would be appreciated.
Deltoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 09:00 AM   #2
retsam

Default Re: CPU at 100% utilization when viewing flash objects

try this first

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowled...11#install_win

make sure you have the latest video drivers from nvidia.

let us know how you make out
retsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-07, 04:58 PM   #3
Deltoid

Smile Re: CPU at 100% utilization when viewing flash objects

Retsam - That was very good advice. I updated my Nvidia driver and bios from the Dell site. I'm not sure that mattered, but it didn't hurt, and the new Nvidia configuration software that came with the download is easier to use. I read the article that you suggested and subsequently changed my internet options to permit active x, which I previously had turned off for better security. That seems to have made a huge difference for IE7, but not for Firefox. I would say that the problem now is just Firefox and flash. They are supposed to work together, so I'm still puzzled as to why the problem persists there. But the fact that it works with IE with Active X enabled greatly restores my confidence in Nvidia.

Thank you very much!
Deltoid is offline   Reply With Quote