Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-02, 05:26 PM   #1
SurfMonkey
QuadCore G80 PS3 Overload

Location: In a small room surrounded by vast, inscrutable, machines...
Default What has happend to nVidia?

They used to rule the roost, they kicked the top performance 3D manufacturer of the time into the stone age and they displaced the biggest selling manufacturer almost overnight.

Have they lost the plot? Have they over extended themselves with an architecture that's to advanced to be produced now? Or were they so complacent that they were the king of the hill, that they grew just a little to lax?

Whatever the problems are, and some of them, admittedly, maybe out of their control, but whatever the reasons they have an awful lot of catching up to do now.

Not only do they have to deliver but they have to perform as well, and what are the real chances of that happening?

nVidia are in the tightest place they have ever been before, a rock and hard place just doesn't do it justice. Where now the Force? We, as consumers and stock holders, deserve some answers. And prefferably the nice kind

"Halflife2 got halfway around the world before Gabe had a chance to get his pants on."
Anon
Old 08-01-02, 05:42 PM   #2
Darth Rancid
DeltaChromeF1

Nothing happende to nVidia.... its just that ATi's engineers has gone to work
Old 08-01-02, 06:05 PM   #3
Pakman

I personally think that NVIDIA may have spread their focus a bit too much in the last year or so. What with the X-Box amd nForce products, new generation chips may have been delayed a bit.

And yes, I too think that they may have become a bit bloated by the high stock values etc. It turned from a nice small company to deal with into chipzilla.

Last edited by Pakman; 08-01-02 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-01-02, 06:08 PM   #4
sancheuz

Guys, nothing is wrong with nVidia, they will deliver the nv30 by the end of this year or very early next year(the latest) and we wll be happy, and everything will be ok. nVidia hasnt said their nv30 technology doesnt work or anything like that, all those rumors started spreading just because the ati 9700 is coming out and people feel nvidia should hurry.
Old 08-01-02, 06:20 PM   #5
|JuiceZ|

Send a message via Skype™ to |JuiceZ|

I agree pak, while on one side I'm glad to see nVidia seeking new markets and trying to expand I'm a bit worried because it reminds me of that company in redmond so much. I just hope they don't loose their focus on the graphics market or else the guys in red who still devote themselves exclusively to graphics cards may maintain the advantage.

btw, if this next gpu is as revolutionary as all the pr hype is making it out to be, I have no doubt nV will roll out the chip on schedule.
hometheater KURO PDP-5020 | Marantz SR6005 | Definitive BP7001s, CLR3000, BPVXPs

Last edited by |JuiceZ|; 08-01-02 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-01-02, 08:18 PM   #6
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by sancheuz
Guys, nothing is wrong with nVidia, they will deliver the nv30 by the end of this year or very early next year(the latest) and we wll be happy, and everything will be ok. nVidia hasnt said their nv30 technology doesnt work or anything like that, all those rumors started spreading just because the ati 9700 is coming out and people feel nvidia should hurry.
there is definitely something wrong with nvidia if they deliver NV30 next year. they need to stay with the product cycles. i won't elaborate because it's obvious what can/might happen as a result of going off schedule.

the .13 R300 will be out by Spring most likely, and that might have enough raw power to easily defeat NV30. it won't matter if NV30 has "shaders beyond DX9."

Old 08-01-02, 08:18 PM   #7
Acid Rain
What a sweet little...

Quote:
Originally posted by SurfMonkey

nVidia are in the tightest place they have ever been before, a rock and hard place just doesn't do it justice.
Agreed. Between twin platinum slabs is more like it.

I honestly believe that NV will catch up, it's gonna be ALOT of work, and I believe that the reason behind the temporary fall of the Queen (in the high performance arena) is that they spread themselves over too many places at once, without being able to focus as much as they otherwise would have, on their high performance gear.

Another issue is that while a company looks the best when it's high performance equipment outdoes all the comptetitor's offerings, there really isn't nearly the market-share for the high-end as there is for the low-end, and if NV decided to target OEMs primarily and almost exclusively (unlikely), then they would make scads and scads of money while not providing the fastest hardware.

Again, it is exceptionally doubtfull that they would settle for that, but it would be a slight, and most likely temporary, possibility, if they were to get too far behind.
RAM: 4GB KHX6400D2LLK2
3D Porkware: Radeon HD 4890
Aux Equipment: Phase-B Nanocycloptics

Last edited by Shadowcast; 08-16-02 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-01-02, 08:24 PM   #8
Acid Rain
What a sweet little...

Quote:
Originally posted by sancheuz
all those rumors started spreading just because the ati 9700 is coming out and people feel nvidia should hurry.
The last thing we want is for them to hurry like mad.

The 8500 is a prime example of what can happen if you launch a defective/incomplete/driverless product, and those things tend to happen when a company rushes something out the door just to have a competing product.

I won't mind if something works superbly for them and they can finish the chip and launch it early, but I am not in the slightest bit interested in rushed and problematic hardware.

Old 08-01-02, 08:27 PM   #9
StealthHawk

the R8500 launch was an exception and not a rule on prior ATI card launches?

Old 08-01-02, 08:35 PM   #10
Acid Rain
What a sweet little...

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
I am not personally sure, I have only owned an 8500 myself.

One thing that seems to be true, though, they have learned alot since the 8500 release, and this will definitely forc NV to make some changes of it's own, or drop out of the race.

I am sure they'll do the former.
Old 08-01-02, 11:03 PM   #11
Dragon88

Nothing has happened to Nvidia, they are just moving into second for a while to let their R&D guys have fun. The NV30 looks like its going to be awesome, nforce2 is on the way and will probably be on my next motherboard. Boy, nvidia doesn't put out $400 upgrade for a few months and people start complaining, If I have to live with my EVER SO SLOW TI4400 for a while longer before the NV30 comes out, well geez, I guess I can do that....

In fact, if nvidia dropped the 6 month refresh out of there production cycle, I would be all for it. Instead of working on optimizing current hardware, they can work on new features and hardware. Nvidia has shown that their driver team can do a good job of optimizing and tweaking on their own to keep a product fresh. If they didn't have to worry about writing in a refresh card, they could have more time to optimize the current cards.

Old 08-01-02, 11:11 PM   #12
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
Considering all the problems ATI had with getting functional Windows 2000 drivers for the Rage 128 and original Radeon I'd say the 8500 launch was the rule and the R300 is most likely going to be the exception to it.

I'm sure the R300 won't have a perfect launch, as no hardware ever does. But I have a feeling it will be rather steller considering their past track record.
Closed Thread