Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-14-07, 05:39 PM   #13
AlphaWolfII

Default Re: Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific gone gold

Americans could have won the naval war without using a single submarine

You ignorance of the subject is quite breathtaking.

US submarines sank 55% of the total tonnage while accounting for 1.6% of the fleet. In addition to sinking the Shinano (the largest carrier built during the war), they sank 214 naval ships & submarines. All while plagued with inferior torpedoes.

So your enemy in SH4 will be one that for most of the time will not be able to see you ,neither atack if you are underwater

Yet somehow Japan managed to sink 52 submarines at the cost of 4,023 lives.

doesnt have 1/10 of the challenges faced by germans U-boats in second world war

I'll take Mush Morton or Dick O'Kane against any nazi ANYTIME!!

AW
AlphaWolfII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-07, 06:13 PM   #14
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolfII
Americans could have won the naval war without using a single submarine

You ignorance of the subject is quite breathtaking.

US submarines sank 55% of the total tonnage while accounting for 1.6% of the fleet. In addition to sinking the Shinano (the largest carrier built during the war), they sank 214 naval ships & submarines. All while plagued with inferior torpedoes.

So your enemy in SH4 will be one that for most of the time will not be able to see you ,neither atack if you are underwater

Yet somehow Japan managed to sink 52 submarines at the cost of 4,023 lives.

doesnt have 1/10 of the challenges faced by germans U-boats in second world war

I'll take Mush Morton or Dick O'Kane against any nazi ANYTIME!!

AW

Again Americans could have won the naval war without using a single submarine.. Subs only helped to make things easier for *their already powerfull surface fleet *. You seems to believe that without american subs ,the americans navy surface fleet had never suceed againts japan navy. a Navy that had not very effective radar ,sonar or anti submarine warfare an until very late in the war and that was greatly outnumbered 10 to 1 in battleships .

The major challenges and casualties by far for the americans were made by the battles on land and and by the japan kamikaze airforce. Once you lose your airforce so quick in the battle ,your surface navy is merely a target for shooting practice . I would like to know your enlighting theory about how much dificult was the life for the AN than the JN in the second world war. Lol!

My point is not to discuss history but about the game ,that while Sh4 could be fun ,and looks impressive ,it will be the a lot more challeging and fun , if it was made the game again in the atlantic improving the dymamic campaing and better if they give you the option to pick your side. Where the allies fought againts german navy. And where the germans were extremely sucessfull early in the war blocking the naval trafic to europe.
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-07, 11:53 AM   #15
AlphaWolfII

Again Americans could have won the naval war without using a single submarine.

And the Germans lost the war with them. I'm not sure what your point is.

I would like to know your enlighting theory about how much dificult was the life for the AN than the JN in the second world war. Lol!

Again, difficulty of life isn't the point. You stated:

i think american subs were more used for target practice againts merchants ships.

Based on some actual experiences I've read (Wahoo! and Clear the Bridge among them), your statement is inaccurate and totally unfounded.

In any case, after 2 versions in the Atlantic, it's nice to get back to the original game in the Pacific.

AW
Old 03-16-07, 07:43 AM   #16
ATI_Dude

Quote:
Again Americans could have won the naval war without using a single submarine.

And the Germans lost the war with them. I'm not sure what your point is.
That's a very important point. I think he means that submarine warfare in the Pacific didn't have a decisive impact on the war's outcome. The Allies would have won the war against Japan even if they hadn't employed a single submarine. The complete opposite scenario was true in the European Theater. Had the Germans won the Battle for the Atlantic the war's outcome might have been quite different.

Desktop: | Intel Core i7 2600K@ 3.4 GHz | Asus P8P67 Pro | 8 GB DDR3 1600 Corsair (2x4 GB) | Asus GeForce GTX 580 | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS soundcard | Segate Momentus XT 500 GB Hyprid SATA HDD | Samsung SyncMaster T220HD 22'' LCD | 650 watt Corsair HX650 PSU |

Laptop1: | MacBook Pro Uni-body | Core2 Duo 2.53 GHz (FSB 1066 MHz) | GeForce 9400M 256 MB DDR3 | 4 GB DDR3 1066 RAM | 500 GB Hitachi 5400 RPM HDD | 13'' LED 1280x800 | Dual Boot Mac OS X Snow Leopard & Windows 7 Home x64 |

Laptop2: | Dell Inspiron XPS Gen 2 | Pentium M Centrino (Dothan) 2.13 GHz (FSB 533 MHz)| GeForce Go 6800 Ultra 256 MB DDR3 450@1063 MHz (12 PS, 5 VS)| 1 GB DDR2 533 RAM | 100 GB Fujitsu 5400 RPM HDD | 17'' WUXGA LCD 1920x1200 | Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Notebook |
ATI_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-07, 09:31 AM   #17
AlphaWolfII

I think he means that submarine warfare in the Pacific didn't have a decisive impact on the war's outcome.

Of course they did. They sank 55% of the total tonnage of Japanese ships. Would the US still have won? I think so, but it would have taken more time (years?) and lives to do so.

Had the Germans won the Battle for the Atlantic the war's outcome might have been quite different.

Would it have slowed down the effort? Sure. But there's a multitude of reasons I don't think this is true. First, there are airplanes. They're tough to sink with a torpedo. Second, Germany was already fighting a two-front war in Europe. Invading Russia in the winter? Just plain stupid. This is what happens when you have an idiot for a leader who bases his decisions on preconceived emotions instead of facts (sound familiar?).

AW
Old 03-18-07, 08:47 AM   #18
AlphaWolfII

According to EB, they'll have it in the store on Wednesday, 3/21. According to the Ubisoft web site for SH4, the box will contain the following premium material for a short time:

* Premium Packaging
* 100+ page manual including reference material
* Fold-out historical map of the Pacific theater
* Fold out ship recognition poster
* Quick Reference Card
* 1-hour of WWII-era documentary footage about U.S. submarines from Periscope Films on a Bonus DVD

Can't wait!!!

AWII
Old 03-18-07, 09:11 AM   #19
ATI_Dude

Quote:
I think he means that submarine warfare in the Pacific didn't have a decisive impact on the war's outcome.

Of course they did. They sank 55% of the total tonnage of Japanese ships. Would the US still have won? I think so, but it would have taken more time (years?) and lives to do so.
Probably true. But Allied carrier groups and long range bombers would have decided the war's outcome.

Quote:
Had the Germans won the Battle for the Atlantic the war's outcome might have been quite different.

Would it have slowed down the effort? Sure. But there's a multitude of reasons I don't think this is true. First, there are airplanes. They're tough to sink with a torpedo. Second, Germany was already fighting a two-front war in Europe. Invading Russia in the winter? Just plain stupid. This is what happens when you have an idiot for a leader who bases his decisions on preconceived emotions instead of facts (sound familiar?).
Airplanes don't win wars alone. If the Germans had controlled the Atlantic Ocean it would have been near impossible to reinforce the Allied armies in Western Europe.

I'm not saying Germany would have won the war. But controlling the Atlantic Ocean would have made it possible to hold the Western Alles at bay while forcing a decision on the Eastern Front and/or North Africa.

Desktop: | Intel Core i7 2600K@ 3.4 GHz | Asus P8P67 Pro | 8 GB DDR3 1600 Corsair (2x4 GB) | Asus GeForce GTX 580 | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS soundcard | Segate Momentus XT 500 GB Hyprid SATA HDD | Samsung SyncMaster T220HD 22'' LCD | 650 watt Corsair HX650 PSU |

Laptop1: | MacBook Pro Uni-body | Core2 Duo 2.53 GHz (FSB 1066 MHz) | GeForce 9400M 256 MB DDR3 | 4 GB DDR3 1066 RAM | 500 GB Hitachi 5400 RPM HDD | 13'' LED 1280x800 | Dual Boot Mac OS X Snow Leopard & Windows 7 Home x64 |

Laptop2: | Dell Inspiron XPS Gen 2 | Pentium M Centrino (Dothan) 2.13 GHz (FSB 533 MHz)| GeForce Go 6800 Ultra 256 MB DDR3 450@1063 MHz (12 PS, 5 VS)| 1 GB DDR2 533 RAM | 100 GB Fujitsu 5400 RPM HDD | 17'' WUXGA LCD 1920x1200 | Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Notebook |
ATI_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-07, 09:20 AM   #20
agentkay

As much as it saddens me I have to speak out a purchase warning for SH4. I checked out the official forums and it seems the 3D engine is still locked at 1024x768 and doesnīt support FSAA for both Nvidia and AMD.

Once its out in my video rental, I will run extented tests (with Nhancer etc.) and see if FSAA can be somehow activated but I donīt have much hope. I donīt understand why Ubisoft Romania didnīt manage to upgrade their engine to support AA and a higher resolution, especially because it doesnīt take a genuis that a limitation like that hurts sales like crazy.

Intel I7-920 aircooled by Prolimatech Megahalems @ 3.8Ghz (200x19) | Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R | OCZ Platinum 3x2GB DDR3-1600 RAM (7-7-7-24) @ 1600 | Gainward GTX 480 | WD Raptor 74GB + 150GB + Samsung 1TB | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair AX850 Gold | Coolermaster Stacker 830 silver | Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 | Logitech G15 keyboard | Logitech G25 Racing Wheel | Sharp LC-46 XL1E (gaming and work)
F CliffyB.
agentkay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-07, 11:13 AM   #21
Warwind

I trust SH4 won't include StarForce...?
Warwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-07, 11:30 AM   #22
OWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentkay
As much as it saddens me I have to speak out a purchase warning for SH4. I checked out the official forums and it seems the 3D engine is still locked at 1024x768 and doesnīt support FSAA for both Nvidia and AMD.

Once its out in my video rental, I will run extented tests (with Nhancer etc.) and see if FSAA can be somehow activated but I donīt have much hope. I donīt understand why Ubisoft Romania didnīt manage to upgrade their engine to support AA and a higher resolution, especially because it doesnīt take a genuis that a limitation like that hurts sales like crazy.
Did it sound like speculation or something that is confirmed? No way I'm getting a game that is locked at 1024x768. Why would they do that?
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-07, 12:00 PM   #23
agentkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWA
Did it sound like speculation or something that is confirmed? No way I'm getting a game that is locked at 1024x768. Why would they do that?
Warwind, SH4 does not include Starforce, but as most Ubisoft titles, Securom.

OWA, it seems like the info can be considered as confirmed because some people received the retail copies already. There was some speculation that the pirate version had that "problem" but some people with the retail version confirmed it.

To make matters worse, it seems that you can actually select a higher resolution (incl. widescreen) in the settings and the menu and the icons are properly rendered in the higher resolution but the actual 3D engine only upscales from 1024x768 to like 1920x1200 and end the result is quite horrible. Excellent looking GUI in the foreground, horrible upscaled 3D render in the background.

Iīm not sure what their intention was (misleading customers??), or if its "just" a bug. I know SH3 rendered only 1024x768 as well but with a D3D/DLL hack it was possible to run it properly at a higher resoltion, however when it comes to SH4 it should not be a matter of a hack to fix this problem. I do hope Ubisoft and the dev team see in this problem a priority and fix it ASAP because it is a shame to release a title with a locked resolution like that, and itīs almost as bad as the Resident Evil 4 PC port.

Intel I7-920 aircooled by Prolimatech Megahalems @ 3.8Ghz (200x19) | Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R | OCZ Platinum 3x2GB DDR3-1600 RAM (7-7-7-24) @ 1600 | Gainward GTX 480 | WD Raptor 74GB + 150GB + Samsung 1TB | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair AX850 Gold | Coolermaster Stacker 830 silver | Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 | Logitech G15 keyboard | Logitech G25 Racing Wheel | Sharp LC-46 XL1E (gaming and work)
F CliffyB.
agentkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-07, 12:03 PM   #24
OWA

Dang. Oh well, thanks for the info.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote