Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-20-07, 01:24 PM   #25
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Re: Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific gone gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentkay
As much as it saddens me I have to speak out a purchase warning for SH4. I checked out the official forums and it seems the 3D engine is still locked at 1024x768 and doesnīt support FSAA for both Nvidia and AMD.

Once its out in my video rental, I will run extented tests (with Nhancer etc.) and see if FSAA can be somehow activated but I donīt have much hope. I donīt understand why Ubisoft Romania didnīt manage to upgrade their engine to support AA and a higher resolution, especially because it doesnīt take a genuis that a limitation like that hurts sales like crazy.
WTF is ubi doing? do they really want to piss off everyone under the sun?
Old 03-20-07, 01:58 PM   #26
methimpikehoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWA
Dang. Oh well, thanks for the info.
YES, glad I heard it before I bought it.
Old 03-20-07, 02:11 PM   #27
LycosV

That's really quite stupid. Better to lock the res than let you change it and make no difference.
LycosV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-07, 10:59 PM   #28
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATI_Dude

Airplanes don't win wars alone. If the Germans had controlled the Atlantic Ocean it would have been ----> impossible to reinforce the Allied armies in Western Europe.

Bingo!!!

it will not be possible for the allies to invade europe at all ,if Germans had the control of the atlantic sea. They were very sucessfull in the first years of the wars.. it was not until the radar was invented that U-boats began to lose the war.

about the resolution.. there is a mod for SH3 that fix the resolution limitations of the game.. it works.. i can play the game at any resolution. All you need is to download the executable from gamecopy world , use the resolution DLL patch and windows compatibilty administrator utility. I guess the same trick should work with SH4. The included atachment have information about the fix for Sh3.
Attached Files
File Type: zip resolutionfix.zip (1.9 KB, 146 views)
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 05:14 PM   #29
AlphaWolfII

it will not be possible for the allies to invade europe at all ,if Germans had the control of the atlantic sea. They were very sucessfull in the first years of the wars.. it was not until the radar was invented that U-boats began to lose the war.

OK, this is my final say on this silly subject. If the u-boats were so damn successful the first years, how did the Allies ever make any headway? There is NO WAY that the u-boats alone would have changed the end result.

Further, you stray from your original point that SH 4 would be a:

lot more challeging and fun , if it was made the game again in the atlantic

I couldn't disagree more. I found SH3 boring and eagerly waited the conversion to the Pacific. I'm glad that Silent Hunter has finally got back to it's roots. I love playing the lone wolf.

As for SH4, I'm ticked that none of the stores in my area (Rochester, NY) have a copy yet (3/21/07)!!!! AAAAaaaaaaaarrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

AWII
AlphaWolfII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-07, 03:37 AM   #30
Blade
It's just a ride....

Quote:
Originally Posted by methimpikehoses
YES, glad I heard it before I bought it.

Strange as i see all resolutions available on my SH4
Old 03-22-07, 03:59 AM   #31
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade
Strange as i see all resolutions available on my SH4

in Ubisoft forums ,people with the game claim the "all the resolutions" is fake.. Its only in the interface..that benefit from high resolutions, the in game graphics still use 1024x768 although you see the "option" for higher resolutions.

Im wondering why on hell anyone will make a game that limits the game to that resolution. This is a problem with ALL SilenHunter games . And almost every review or gamer outhere complain about this.
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-07, 11:21 AM   #32
Starbuck

I have the game. Good News: It does allow you to select resolution. Bad News: resolutions selected are really only usable for 2D interface, not 3D interactions. What that means: 3D views are upscaled to your selected resolution. The upscaling process does not give you a more dense object to view since all initial flaws are still present, just upscaled (e.g., jaggies, etc.) This is a MAJOR ERROR IN JUDGEMENT BY UBI, since long range target identification is a critical element in submarine simulations. BUT, the game community will make every effort to fix it, there are a lot of hardcore subsim gamers, so I believe that some of this may get fixed over time, just not by UBI. If you are a purist that enjoys tactical battles, it's probably worth you investment, if you care more about how things look, then wait to see if the modding community can fix some of the issues.
Starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-07, 12:15 PM   #33
Blade
It's just a ride....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck
I have the game. Good News: It does allow you to select resolution. Bad News: resolutions selected are really only usable for 2D interface, not 3D interactions. What that means: 3D views are upscaled to your selected resolution. The upscaling process does not give you a more dense object to view since all initial flaws are still present, just upscaled (e.g., jaggies, etc.) This is a MAJOR ERROR IN JUDGEMENT BY UBI, since long range target identification is a critical element in submarine simulations. BUT, the game community will make every effort to fix it, there are a lot of hardcore subsim gamers, so I believe that some of this may get fixed over time, just not by UBI. If you are a purist that enjoys tactical battles, it's probably worth you investment, if you care more about how things look, then wait to see if the modding community can fix some of the issues.

Well i see 1600 x 1200 in game graphics & they look mmmmmm good, not a jaggie insight.
Old 03-22-07, 12:37 PM   #34
Starbuck

Blade, my comment on no jaggies refers directly to the fact that AA is disabled and you can't force it under any circumstances. Scenes where ships are up close look pretty good at 1600x1200 (except for lines wich look pretty bad, IMO). I'm only real critical of long distance ship views that are being upscaled from very few pixels to start with under magnification (binocluars, periscope etc.) I wish the game would just support AA, then I would have very few concerns.

On a side note, what framerates are you getting on deck with lots of ships? I'm running 7800GTX's (256MB) in SLI. I've messed around with different SLI settings and the only one I can get to work is split screen (AFR & AFR2 don't work). That results in around 30-40fps. What is your rig getting with a single 8800? Thanks.
Starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-07, 07:31 PM   #35
agentkay

The game is actually fun to play but if it only wouldnīt cause eye cancer.

Maxed out settings at 1280x1024, 16AF, no form of AA can be forced, version 1.1 (patch was released earlier today). I donīt even mind the lack of AA if it would be properly rendered to 1280x1024 and not just upscaled from 1024x768.

Intel I7-920 aircooled by Prolimatech Megahalems @ 3.8Ghz (200x19) | Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R | OCZ Platinum 3x2GB DDR3-1600 RAM (7-7-7-24) @ 1600 | Gainward GTX 480 | WD Raptor 74GB + 150GB + Samsung 1TB | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair AX850 Gold | Coolermaster Stacker 830 silver | Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 | Logitech G15 keyboard | Logitech G25 Racing Wheel | Sharp LC-46 XL1E (gaming and work)
F CliffyB.
agentkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-07, 09:19 PM   #36
SignorSalad
Yarrr!

Those screenshots look damn good, even with the jaggies. I saw the videos at the official site and they looked terrific as well. Gameplay makes the game, but the screenshots get you to take notice. Is the upscaling really as bad as its being made out to be?