Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-02-07, 10:00 AM   #1
Dubious Dave

Talking Got GeForce FX5500 to work with Win98!

I finally got it working!! Hurray!!

I run a dual boot computer with two different hard drives. One has Fedora Core 6 linux and the other has Win98. The motherboard is an ASUS A7N8X, the monitor is a BenQ FP731 17" LCD and 512MB of RAM. I originally had an ATI 9200 video card and wanted to upgrade a little bit and cheaply. So the GeForce FX5500 seemed a good choice for both price and performance.

After installing the card my linux install refused to allow me to increase resolution from 800x640 and something higher and enable 3D acceleration with the nvidia drivers. It turns out that the BenQ FP731 LCD does not support EDID properly so the nvidia driver refused to allow anything higher (I suppose to protect me). I had to go into xorg.conf file and add a single line to tell nvidia to ignore EDID and use the xorg.conf settings. That worked great.

I really didn't expect any problems in win98, but guess what... I couldn't change resolution from 800x640 or get 3D acceleration to work. The nvidia configuration tools wouldn't even work. I used driver cleaners, deleted
everything I could, disabled ATIPOLL, tried manually changing registry settings changed vcache to 25% of 512MB (524288 ->131072 bytes), set BIOS AGP aperature size to 128MB, and disabling monitor plug-n-play. I just couldn't find how to get the nvidia driver to ignore EDID information. After all that it just starting magically working after one of my restarts.

What a pain. What a relief.
Dubious Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-07, 08:49 AM   #2
Dubious Dave

Default Re: Got GeForce FX5500 to work with Win98!

Okay so here's how to do it in win98 without hacking the registry. This handles the problem of nvidia refusing to work with your monitor because it doesn't support EDID probing. This should also straighten up Monitor/Display(video adapter) associations that have gone bad. Warning this may screw up your entire system, but I did this on two different systems with similar problems.

1) Uninstall all previous nvidia/ati drivers.
2) Use driver cleaner to clean up the remainder in registry and in file system.
3) Open up device manager and delete all Displays and all monitors.
4) Reboot. You might have to reboot 2 or 3 times in a row. This forces win98 to rebuild a clean default Display and default Monitor association. If win98 asks to install standard VGA Display, agree and let it look on your hard driver for the driver.
5) If it finds your monitor and installs it instead of a default monitor that's okay. If it doesn't find your monitor, install it with the OEM disk.
6) At this point you should have a single Standard VGA Display and single Monitor in Device Manager. Right click on the desktop and access the display properties. On the settings tab click advanced. On the monitor tab clear the check box for autodetect plug-n-play monitor. Apply and exit.
7) Install the nvidia driver and reboot.
8) At this point it may work fine and everything is awesome. However, if your resolution is poor, check your desktop properties. Right click on the desktop and access the display properties. On the settings tab look to see what monitor is associated with your new driver. If it says default monitor, then click advanced. On the monitor tab click the "change" button and select your monitor or "reinstall" with your OEM disc. Apply, exit, and reboot.
9) If you're still having problems you're hosed.
Old 03-15-07, 07:51 AM   #3
sharangad

Do you have the motherboard AGP/GART drivers installed? 3D stuff and changing resolutions won't work without GART drivers.
sharangad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-07, 07:28 AM   #4
Dubious Dave

I'm not sure if the AGP/GART drivers are installed, but I've had AGP video cards installed before. Also, the same motherboard worked with the FX5500 on a linux OS after disabling EDID probing. Two seperate systems, both dual boot win98/Fedora Core, one with an Intel mobo and the other with an AMD mobo, one with a BenQ LCD and the other with a Samsung Syncmaster CRT had the same problem. Both systems previously had ATI radeon cards installed. Two identical nvidia cards gave identical install problems in both linux and win98 on both systems. I'm not familiar with the AGP driver and what it does.