Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-12-07, 08:55 PM   #1
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH
 
SH64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Indiana
Posts: 12,202
Question Good MMORPG to start for n00bs ?

1) If someone's about to start playing a MMORPG for the first time , what game do you suggest to start with ?

2) Also i'd like some bits of info on MMORPG's in general .. like what are they all about (lets take WOW for an exmaple) ??

3) Whats the minimum connection reuqired for MMO's to get comfortable gameplay ???
__________________


- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-07, 02:00 AM   #2
glObalist
working as intended
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 935
Default Re: Good MMORPG to start for n00bs ?

1) Although many here will disagree, WoW is currently the end all be all of all the MMORPGs out there, very noob-friendly too, plays smooth and looks fantastic unless you hate the art style.

2) It's about owning everyone and becoming the uberest on the server, simply put. To expand, and although it is really an unreachable goal for most, you do this either via your PvP or PvE achievements, your l33t gear, having great reputation/fame among other players, etc... But the most important thing is to have fun with the game, of course.

3) I'd say 128kbit down/16kbit up is all you'll ever need for this.
__________________
Intel E8400 C2D 3Ghz @ 3.6Ghz ---> ASUS P5Q Pro <--- 2x2GB PATRIOT DDR2 800Mhz
PALIT Sonic HD4850 1GB DDR3 <---> BENQ FP241W 24" LCD
M-AUDIO FireWire 410 <---> Logitech Z-5400 5.1 THX
Quote:
All MMO's are now baby-school weak. The only good MMO's make your eyes bleed and force you to eat glass. In my day we had to walk uphill in the snow 5 miles *JUST* to log in.
glObalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-07, 06:15 PM   #3
Hambone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 260
Default Re: Good MMORPG to start for n00bs ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH64
1) If someone's about to start playing a MMORPG for the first time , what game do you suggest to start with ?

2) Also i'd like some bits of info on MMORPG's in general .. like what are they all about (lets take WOW for an exmaple) ??

3) Whats the minimum connection reuqired for MMO's to get comfortable gameplay ???
1) Hopefully you have broadband.. If so I'd get trial keys of WoW and EQ2 and give them both a try first. Walmart even carries $14.99 trial copies of WoW (a disk with a trial key).

2) Any MMORPG is about what you make it about. Maybe in WoW you like running instances with guildmates only and don't PVP, or maybe you only like to PVP. Maybe in EQ2 you like to spend a lot of time decorating your house or working on very lengthy and rewarding Heritage quests.

3) There are people that play even EQ2 "ok" with a normal dialup connection. I doubt I could stand that. MMO's use barely any bandwith at all. I can download movies while playing and only leave about 5% of my 600KB/s DSL pipe open.


WoW probably has something like 8 Million players while most other games like EQ2 probably have about 225,000 to 500,000 players. Real subscription numbers by any company are closely guarded secrets (except for WoW that likes to brag about it).


WoW:
-Lots of ANNOYING 13 year olds (or younger)
-Hardly any debth or lore or anything to do a max level aside from PVP or raid for gear - or faction grind
-NASTY ugly playstation 2 looking crap graphics. I can not stand to look at WoW. It would be an insult to my computer to play it.
-Great and fast PVP
-Great 3rd party addon support (which is a big disadvantage in PVP unless you have all the best and most up to date ones and spend all day customizing them and learning how to use them)
-Did I mention thousands and thousands of annoying 13 year olds?

EQ2 (and to a big degree Vanguard which is very similar):
-Less players
-More classes to play, More races to play
-More mature players
-Very high graphics requirments (which to play on average now would need an 'average' computer)
-Not as fast of combat as WoW
-PVP sucks compared to WoW
-Tradeskills are about 10 times better than WoW (to hard on release - good now)
-About as easy to level in as WoW now
-Alternative Advancement that allows you to customise any class the way you want and gives you something extra to do at max level if you didn't max your AA experience/levels.
-HOMES! In EQ2 (unlike wow) you have instances houses - with guild levels and personal status you can rent bigger homes. You can fill those homes with hundreds of different pieces of furniture as well as special items you get from completing special quests (etc).
-Guild banks (not in WoW)
-Guild's have a "guild level" just like a player level, members can do special quests and some other things to give their guild experience. A higher level guild will allow it's members to buy some really nice things like faster mounts or bigger houses
-Many other fine details about guilds that WoW does not have
-Probably ten times the land mass of WoW
-AMAZING amount of things to do at max level (PVP, Raid, Legend and Lore quests, Heritage quests, Signature quests, language quests, home decorating, faction griding, guild writs).



Basically WoW is a fast kiddie game with no debth but good PVP. If you don't mind 12 year olds, don't want to think much and like to fight other people. WoW is the game for you. If you want debth and a better communtity with 10x as many things to do EQ2 or Vanguard.

The last Exapnsion for EQ2 - EOF (Echos of Faydar) doubled the size of the game. If you buy it ($39.99) it comes with two DVD's that include the full game and the other two full expansions - all in one for a good price.
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-07, 06:27 PM   #4
UDawg
Retired spammer
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,799
Default Re: Good MMORPG to start for n00bs ?

Although EQ fans complain about WoW and its younger community they don't tell you that WoW is much more friendly when you are out in the world. People always help you when you are question. The place WoW gets a bad rap is in the chat channels and forums. Leave those chat channels and don't go near the forums and the game is fun. EQ players are no where near as helpfull.

The biggest differences between the games is EQ2 is more like a job. WoW is more like a vacation, sure you have your kids along with you but you are still having fun. Man I should paten that quote. LOL
UDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-07, 08:23 PM   #5
Hambone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 260
Default Re: Good MMORPG to start for n00bs ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDawg
Although EQ fans complain about WoW and its younger community they don't tell you that WoW is much more friendly when you are out in the world. People always help you when you are question. The place WoW gets a bad rap is in the chat channels and forums. Leave those chat channels and don't go near the forums and the game is fun. EQ players are no where near as helpfull.

The biggest differences between the games is EQ2 is more like a job. WoW is more like a vacation, sure you have your kids along with you but you are still having fun. Man I should paten that quote. LOL
You're pretty wrong on both points.

EQ2 players are by and large more helpful, it just may seem more so in WoW because there are more people playing it so getting help has better odds.

Explain exactly how EQ2 is more like a job? (wait, any MMORPG is part fun, part job - EQ2 no more so than WoW)

Explain how one of the 3 or 4 things left to do at max level in WoW is to faction grind and how that is not like a job.

WoW a vacation my Arse
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-07, 09:00 PM   #6
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH
 
SH64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Indiana
Posts: 12,202
Default Re: Good MMORPG to start for n00bs ?

Thanks for the information so far guys
__________________


- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-07, 09:31 PM   #7
Hambone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 260
Default Re: Good MMORPG to start for n00bs ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH64
Thanks for the information so far guys
You know really the best advice anyone could give you is to run like hell from any MMORPG. hehe
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-07, 09:33 PM   #8
UDawg
Retired spammer
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,799
Default Re: Good MMORPG to start for n00bs ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone
You're pretty wrong on both points.

EQ2 players are by and large more helpful, it just may seem more so in WoW because there are more people playing it so getting help has better odds.

Explain exactly how EQ2 is more like a job?

Explain how one of the 3 or 4 things left to do at max level in WoW is to faction grind and how that is not like a job.

WoW a vacation my Arse
LOL! another Defensive fanboi.

You can get into arenas, PVE, PVP, grind for more rep and do 25 man instances and heroic instances. There is plenty to do and they don't have to do with killing the same mobs over and over. The PVP alone is so much more fun than anything in EQ2 IMO but if you like EQ2 thats cool.

EQ2 is like a job by the constant grinding.
UDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-07, 03:11 AM   #9
NrGx
Formerly NrG
 
NrGx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 33
Default Re: Good MMORPG to start for n00bs ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone
1) Hopefully you have broadband.. If so I'd get trial keys of WoW and EQ2 and give them both a try first. Walmart even carries $14.99 trial copies of WoW (a disk with a trial key).

2) Any MMORPG is about what you make it about. Maybe in WoW you like running instances with guildmates only and don't PVP, or maybe you only like to PVP. Maybe in EQ2 you like to spend a lot of time decorating your house or working on very lengthy and rewarding Heritage quests.

3) There are people that play even EQ2 "ok" with a normal dialup connection. I doubt I could stand that. MMO's use barely any bandwith at all. I can download movies while playing and only leave about 5% of my 600KB/s DSL pipe open.


WoW probably has something like 8 Million players while most other games like EQ2 probably have about 225,000 to 500,000 players. Real subscription numbers by any company are closely guarded secrets (except for WoW that likes to brag about it).


WoW:
-Lots of ANNOYING 13 year olds (or younger)
-Hardly any debth or lore or anything to do a max level aside from PVP or raid for gear - or faction grind
-NASTY ugly playstation 2 looking crap graphics. I can not stand to look at WoW. It would be an insult to my computer to play it.
-Great and fast PVP
-Great 3rd party addon support (which is a big disadvantage in PVP unless you have all the best and most up to date ones and spend all day customizing them and learning how to use them)
-Did I mention thousands and thousands of annoying 13 year olds?

EQ2 (and to a big degree Vanguard which is very similar):
-Less players
-More classes to play, More races to play
-More mature players
-Very high graphics requirments (which to play on average now would need an 'average' computer)
-Not as fast of combat as WoW
-PVP sucks compared to WoW
-Tradeskills are about 10 times better than WoW (to hard on release - good now)
-About as easy to level in as WoW now
-Alternative Advancement that allows you to customise any class the way you want and gives you something extra to do at max level if you didn't max your AA experience/levels.
-HOMES! In EQ2 (unlike wow) you have instances houses - with guild levels and personal status you can rent bigger homes. You can fill those homes with hundreds of different pieces of furniture as well as special items you get from completing special quests (etc).
-Guild banks (not in WoW)
-Guild's have a "guild level" just like a player level, members can do special quests and some other things to give their guild experience. A higher level guild will allow it's members to buy some really nice things like faster mounts or bigger houses
-Many other fine details about guilds that WoW does not have
-Probably ten times the land mass of WoW
-AMAZING amount of things to do at max level (PVP, Raid, Legend and Lore quests, Heritage quests, Signature quests, language quests, home decorating, faction griding, guild writs).



Basically WoW is a fast kiddie game with no debth but good PVP. If you don't mind 12 year olds, don't want to think much and like to fight other people. WoW is the game for you. If you want debth and a better communtity with 10x as many things to do EQ2 or Vanguard.

The last Exapnsion for EQ2 - EOF (Echos of Faydar) doubled the size of the game. If you buy it ($39.99) it comes with two DVD's that include the full game and the other two full expansions - all in one for a good price.
Way to be bias. EQ2 has nothing on WoW. Not being biased here but it's the truth. Having played both, I have to say that EQ2 has no PVP content and the content itself isn't too deep anyway.

Did I hear Warcraft has no lore? Please tell me I didn't.

Also, 13 year olds? Ok, there are a few (this supports the noob friendly attribute of the game) but overall the community is very helpful and mature. How else do 25 man raids get carried out?

The items and the general depth of the game are unparalleled. Sure it doesnt have the crafting system that EQ2 has, but I find I never needed it.

Quote:
AMAZING amount of things to do at max level (PVP, Raid, Legend and Lore quests, Heritage quests, Signature quests, language quests, home decorating, faction griding, guild writs).
That means grinding btw.

The only critisizm I have is that to truly have fun, you need to get to a high level...which when plaing a game you shoud aim for anyway.

Wow is not a game for those without dedication. However, if you give it time you will realise why it is the most successful game of the past few years.

EQ2 isn't even in the same league.

Nrgx.
__________________
AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+ @ 2.625Ghz (1.425v)
Asus A8R-MVP X200 Chipset (282 FSB max)
Powercolor X1950Pro Extreme 600/700 @ 644/728
2 x 512mb Corsair VS @ DDR434
Seagate 250GB 7200.10 + Maxtor Maxline 80GB
Thermaltake Armor (modded)
CM eXtreme 650W SLI (12V+ @ 36A)
Aquagate LCS + CM Copper waterblock
Viewsonic VX2235WM 22" LCD 5ms


P4 2.26B OC
A64 X2 4200+ OC


3DMARK06: 4759
NrGx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-07, 09:03 AM   #10
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy
 
Ninjaman09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Jowjah
Posts: 6,687
Default Re: Good MMORPG to start for n00bs ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone
WoW:
-Lots of ANNOYING 13 year olds (or younger)
-Hardly any debth or lore or anything to do a max level aside from PVP or raid for gear - or faction grind
-NASTY ugly playstation 2 looking crap graphics. I can not stand to look at WoW. It would be an insult to my computer to play it.
-Did I mention thousands and thousands of annoying 13 year olds?

Basically WoW is a fast kiddie game with no debth but good PVP. If you don't mind 12 year olds, don't want to think much and like to fight other people. WoW is the game for you.
This is all complete BS, SH64, with the possible exception of the graphics. The endgame is very robust and there's plenty to do. This guy has obviously never played WoW for any significant period. The player base is huge but contains significant amounts of mature, friendly, helpful people. Ignoring the kiddies is easy enough (though I hardly ever run into them). To say the game has no depth shows a complete lack of experience with the endgame, making it kind of hard to take the guy's comments seriously. Honestly though the comments about the "kids" thing is simply a generalization people use to attack the game, and it's baseless (there's kids in every MMORPG).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone
(which is a big disadvantage in PVP unless you have all the best and most up to date ones and spend all day customizing them and learning how to use them)
I had to point this one out in particular - it doesn't even make any sense. I slaughter people in PvP and barely use more than the default UI. I suppose poor players need loads of obnoxious addons but most people can get on perfectly well with just the default UI.



I had to step in and dismiss this idiotic, poorly thought-out, and baseless critique of the game. The fact is that WoW is a fun game which offers a great deal for the subscription fee and has plenty to offer at the endgame. If you more interested in hardcore-style play then there is a huge raiding endgame for you to enjoy, if you prefer more relaxed gameplay you have 5-man dungeons. PvP offers something for both. And you can create a new character to try out a new class and experience the entire questing game in place any time you want.

I will refrain from attacking other games as I have little experience with them. I can say though that I have no desire to play any other MMORPGs as WoW is still my favorite game to play, having been playing it since release. Now...to answer SH64's questions!

In case you couldn't tell, my answer to your first question would be WoW. MMORPGs in general are basically grinding-type games at their cores. What each game offers is a framework to support this base - in WoW, there are quests, 5-man group instances (instances are areas of the game which when entered are unique to your party), world PvP, organized battleground PvP, arena-based gladiator-style PvP, and endgame raiding (reputation grinding is also part of this but is generally blended into with the other elements). WoW's endgame allows you to choose between PvP and endgame raiding to advance your character through gear upgrades, though you could conceivably do both if you have the time (loser :P). To a lesser extent 5-man instances are a viable alternative to raiding though you mind find they can become stale once you've thoroughly farmed them.

As far as minimum connection, any basic broadband setup would probably be the lowest you'd want to shoot for.
__________________
Core i7 920 @ 3.2 | ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
6GB Mushkin DDR3-1600 RAM
eVGA GTX 570 SC | Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-07, 09:39 AM   #11
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord
 
Tygerwoody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,934
Default Re: Good MMORPG to start for n00bs ?

My opinion on MMORPG for a "noob"

Don't play EQ, WoW, or Vanguard(and for god sakes not Guild Wars). Start with a free MMORPG. There are loads out there. See what you like and what suits your interests. Then decide from there.

Reason I say do this is because a player who is use to a game like EQ or Vanguard gets absolutely bored with WoW. On the flip side, a WoW player going to Vanguard/EQ will hate it because there is "too much grinding". Guild Wars isn't even up for debate because its not even an MMORPG. It will skew what you believe is an MMORPG and you will end up hating them all together.

So again, I would try to find some free MMORPG. RYL2 is a decent one. Its not great, but it will give you a taste and it is free.

A good "neutral" pay MMORPG that isn't as spoonfed as WoW, but not as much grinding as Vanguard is a game called Lineage 2. You would have to pay for it, but it would at least give you a taste for what you like. If you play it and think "man, there is too much grinding in this game" then maybe you should play WoW. If you get on the game and think "man, these kids are annoying the hell out of me and this game is too easy", then maybe you should try Vanguard.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
if tygerwoody says its bad, its bad.
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-07, 10:07 AM   #12
Xion X2
Registered User
 
Xion X2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: U.S.
Posts: 6,701
Default Re: Good MMORPG to start for n00bs ?

I would disagree that anyone who's played Vanguard would find WoW boring.

I love Vanguard, but all of the rampant bugs lately have forced me to look elsewhere until they get them fixed. I bought both EQ2 and WoW to fill the void, and EQ2 didn't make the cut. Runs horrible on my system for such an old game. It's also a slight bit too "cutesy" for my taste with all of the fairies, frogmen, mushroom patches and everything else. Not a total turnoff, but less appealing to a guy my age than either Vanguard or WoW.

WoW, on the other hand, runs perfect and plays as smooth as you could hope for. It's more of a beginner MMO which fits me better since I just started on them a month ago. And I don't find it boring at all so far. The art and atmosphere is completely different from Vanguard, so it feels like an entirely different game. It's more fast-paced than Vanguard is, and mobs aren't nearly as much of a pain in the ass to kill. Overall, it just seems to be a smoother experience. And most importantly.. NO BUGS. No bugs when you're trying to group with people, no bugs when you're trying to bind equipment, no bugs that crash you to the desktop in the middle of a large group quest, no item bugs.. no bugs of any kind so far. And though I know eventually that I'll run into one, it sure is a nice change from Vanguard.

The downside to WoW is that the audience is a lot younger and more immature.. no matter what someone may tell you. I've only been playing it for 4 days now, and already I've ran into two very unique characters. One was a kid that logged in as a female character under the name "buttsex" and shouted over the chat "who wants to *@(! me in the *@@ for 5 dollar??" over and over for about 5 minutes until he was banned. I never saw that kinda stuff on Vanguard after even hundreds of hours of play. You also get a lot more people talking like: "y r u afk.. lol dont u kno we r tryin 2 group???" which gets under my skin for some reason.

They each have their positives. Vanguard looks a hell of a lot better, is a deeper, more wide-open and much larger game, has a mature audience, but is filled with so many bugs it'll have you pulling your hair out in no time. WoW is a much younger audience but has gameplay much smoother than Vanguard, runs much better, and is for the most part bug-free.

I think for the beginner, WoW is a better choice. I started out with Vanguard, and it was like being thrown into the Lion's Den. If I wasn't such a stubborn, dedicated person then I may have given up after my 164 deaths the first two weeks I played it.
__________________

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Microsoft explained why they killed start button AthlonXP1800 Microsoft Windows 8 19 10-28-12 09:07 AM
Base mosaic and rotation? happyfunbot NVIDIA Linux 5 07-13-12 12:23 PM
Good Content Deserves Good Distribution - Interview with dlvr.it CEO, Bill Flitter News Archived News Items 0 05-16-12 10:40 AM
Nero5.5.9.9 & "Empty Start Menu Entries" bug !!! cenkog General Software 2 09-21-02 12:57 AM
A good set of speakers? Creole General Hardware 7 09-19-02 11:24 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.