Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-13-07, 03:11 PM   #61
Xion X2
Registered User
 
Xion X2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: U.S.
Posts: 6,701
Default Re: Double Experience Weekend on Vanguard... Again

WoW:


Vanguard:


__________________

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-07, 03:14 PM   #62
UDawg
Retired spammer
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,799
Default Re: Double Experience Weekend on Vanguard... Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrdstrm
There is nothing wrong with it...It's just not for me...Easy doesn't equate fun for me. I prefer something more challenging...Like I've said time and time again, all those millions playing WOW must like it alot, I just happen not too. BTW, WOW isn't as big of a hit because it's not a grind fest, it's a hit because it is a "Warcraft" game. If you would have slapped that name on EQ2, changed the graphics to cartoon, and dumbed it down a bit, it would have beena hit too...



Haha...I'm chill, hence the smiley!!! I just felt like a little WOW bashing after all this Vanguard bashing...Heh...It DID make ME feel better...ROFL!!!
First things first, I don't mind people bashing WoW. I just like harmless bickering back and forth.

People don't play WoW because it is named warcraft. Sure that attracked people to it but its playability is what keeps people playing.

I have played both game and to say WoW is dumbed down is silly. In what way is it dumbed down? The stories are deeper, the quests more complex and the rewards for questing much better. The biggest difference between teh two is the crafting and grinding. Vanguard has fantastic crafting system. It blows WoW's away. I really had fun with that part of the game. The grinding is where I didn't have fun. I hate mindless grinding and slow leveling. If you like that then play Vanguard. I don't so I play WoW. At the same time WoW had 10 more levels to hit the cap than Vanguard so it kinda averaged out.

WRT to the graphics, WoW chose to have a more stylized graphical look to it. I don't see anythign wrong with that. Vanguard chose to have a more realistic look to it. I really liked Vanguards graphics but their constant problems with the graphics engine really negates the look of the game for me.
UDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-07, 03:21 PM   #63
UDawg
Retired spammer
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,799
Default Re: Double Experience Weekend on Vanguard... Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
Give me a break. Vanguard has been out for what? A month? Do you think that might be why "nobody plays [it]" in comparison to WoW which has been out for like 2 1/2 years now?
Sorry, no one plays Vangaurd. They are all playing WoW. If it gets bigger, good for Vanguard fans. I don't begrudge you gaining more players.




Quote:
One-dimensional according to what? Could you never get into the crafting, diplomacy, or harvesting aspects of the game?

And before you get your panties all in a wad, I'm not just trying to argue with you and you're not hurting my feelings about Vanguard. But the things that come out of your mouth just make no sense.

You can say you have to grind too much on Vanguard. Fine. But the game is not one-dimensional; it has many different paths of gameplay that you can take for endless hours.
It is one dimensional. Either you grind killing mobs or you grind harvesting, or crafting. Like I said the crafting system is excelent. I wish WoW had a similar system. And the deplomacy is very fun. I have to give you that.

Quote:
Maybe it's "one-dimensional" compared to WoW.. I wouldn't know. I sat down and played WoW for about an hour and a half and never could get over how crappy the graphics were. I know a lot of people like it and so it's probably a great game, but if I'm going to spend hundreds and hundreds of hours playing something then it has to at least look decent.
You are at a huge disadvantate by not playing WoW. WoW is faster paced, better physics and great PVP.

Graphics? You really want to talk about graphics? LOL! at least WoW's engine works. Sure its stylized cartoon look may not look at good as Vanguards excelent realistic look but they knew enough to not over bloat graphics in a faster paced game. The more graphics you have the more you slow the online experience down. Ya have to balance out the netcode with the graphics. So if you have to have a high end computer to run it then you appeal to a very small number of people. Blizzard did this right.

Now in the future Vanguard will get their engine to run smooth but right now it is total crap.
UDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-07, 03:22 PM   #64
UDawg
Retired spammer
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,799
Default Re: Double Experience Weekend on Vanguard... Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
WoW:



LMAO! HEY! That is no fair! That damn Chocobo is the damndest ugly mount in any game. I hate it so much. LOL! Every time I see a blood elf riding one I want to kill kittens.
UDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-07, 03:27 PM   #65
UDawg
Retired spammer
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,799
Default Re: Double Experience Weekend on Vanguard... Again

BTW here is what Gamespot said about the two games.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/vangu...ml?sid=6166043
7.5

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/world...ft/review.html
9.5
http://reviews.cnet.com/World_of_War...-31484531.html
9.2
UDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-07, 03:30 PM   #66
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy
 
Ninjaman09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Jowjah
Posts: 6,687
Default Re: Double Experience Weekend on Vanguard... Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
WoW:

Why would you compare graphics between the two? I don't think anyone ever said WoW had better graphics...I still prefer the "cartoony" art style of WoW to the generic look of Vanguard to be honest though. Karazhan still looks amazing despite the lack of bump-mapping. And it stays locked at 60fps at 1920x1200.
__________________
Core i7 920 @ 3.2 | ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
6GB Mushkin DDR3-1600 RAM
eVGA GTX 570 SC | Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-07, 03:34 PM   #67
UDawg
Retired spammer
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,799
Default Re: Double Experience Weekend on Vanguard... Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
Why would you compare graphics between the two? I don't think anyone ever said WoW had better graphics...I still prefer the "cartoony" art style of WoW to the generic look of Vanguard to be honest though. Karazhan still looks amazing despite the lack of bump-mapping. And it stays locked at 60fps at 1920x1200.
This is the key. You can play WoW. Go near any village in Vanguard and you will get from 5-20 FPS on a mid level computer. And don't even think about PVPing. LOL Can you say lag death? LOL

This argument by Vanguardians is like saying my hot rod is faster than your Yugo. Yeah but your hot rod doesn't run and my Yugo does. LOL! It's as simple as that. One is in the race and the other is not.
UDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-07, 03:55 PM   #68
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord
 
Tygerwoody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,934
Default Re: Double Experience Weekend on Vanguard... Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udawg
If you like the EQ style of MMOs then Vanguard is fantastic. I happen to not like that style.
This pretty much sums it up right here. EQ fans(for the most part) enjoy Vanguard. To be honest, the only reason an EQ fan might not enjoy Vanguard is due to it being easy. Vanguard is easy. Its very easy in comparison to EQ.

On the flipside WoW is more along the lines of the "Wii" of MMORPG's. Just like the Wii, WoW is geared towards the younger population of players. Also, just because its geared towards the younger crowd, does not mean thats all that play it. People who just want to relax and play a game. They want to have fun and thats about it. "Its just a game" is their perspective. Its not a wrong perspective, its just how they want to play. The entire time I talked with Udawg on Vanguard I could tell that he simply wanted to play to have fun and thats all. Again, nothing wrong with that, it just doesn't mesh with Vanguard very well.

Vanguard is a bit more in depth. Whether you like it or not, it is geared towards a higher age bracket of players(most people i play with are in their 30's). People play Vanguard and EQ to get an experience out of a game. We want hardships. We want struggles. While we all don't like dieing, we WANT to die. When we die, we want to be punished for it. Why? It allows you to show how a person really is. Real characteristics of people show up in a "serious" MMORPG like Vanguard or EQ. If you die in WoW(which is very hard to do) do you care? No not really. If you die in Vanguard and EQ, you are going to have to deal with a severe penalty and will probably get right pissed off. This causes conflict. Some people(like me) enjoy conflict.

I play Vanguard for the experience of it. Something to remember. In my 8 years of playing, I have played over a dozen MMORPGs. Out of those, only two games I remember having an "experience" in. While most of them are of EQ, I have a few from Vanguard. What do I mean by "experience"? Some type struggle. Something that I achieved or didn't achieve that put it in long term memory. I never had that sense of achievement/disappointment in WoW, DAOC, RYL, RYL2, Lineage 2, Asheron's Call, Asheron's Call 2, etc. I merely played the games as "games" and thats it. I remember certain events playing EQ as if it were a High School Sporting Event memory. If any of you ever played sports in school, you know the kind. Somehow you did something that caused your team to win or you did something that set the crowd on fire. Something special to you. They might be "stupid", but they stick with you forever.

Anyway, my point is that WoW is simply a game to have fun. There is no reason to make fun of a person because of that. Just like there is no reason to make fun of a person for playing Vanguard because they play it for the "experience".
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
if tygerwoody says its bad, its bad.
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-07, 03:58 PM   #69
UDawg
Retired spammer
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,799
Default Re: Double Experience Weekend on Vanguard... Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
This pretty much sums it up right here. EQ fans(for the most part) enjoy Vanguard. To be honest, the only reason an EQ fan might not enjoy Vanguard is due to it being easy. Vanguard is easy. Its very easy in comparison to EQ.

On the flipside WoW is more along the lines of the "Wii" of MMORPG's. Just like the Wii, WoW is geared towards the younger population of players. Also, just because its geared towards the younger crowd, does not mean thats all that play it. People who just want to relax and play a game. They want to have fun and thats about it. "Its just a game" is their perspective. Its not a wrong perspective, its just how they want to play. The entire time I talked with Udawg on Vanguard I could tell that he simply wanted to play to have fun and thats all. Again, nothing wrong with that, it just doesn't mesh with Vanguard very well.

Vanguard is a bit more in depth. People play Vanguard and EQ to get an experience out of a game. We want hardships. We want struggles. While we all don't like dieing, they WANT to die. When we die, we want to be punished for it. Why? It allows you to show how a person really is. Real characteristics of people show up in a "serious" MMORPG like Vanguard or EQ. If you die in WoW(which is very hard to do) do you care? No not really. If you die in Vanguard and EQ, you are going to have to deal with a severe penalty and will probably get right pissed off. This causes conflict. Some people(like me) enjoy conflict.

I play Vanguard for the experience of it. Something to remember. In my 8 years of playing, I have played over a dozen MMORPGs. Out of those, only two games I remember having an "experience" in. While most of them are of EQ, I have a few from Vanguard. What do I mean by "experience"? Some type struggle. Something that I achieved or didn't achieve that put it in long term memory. I never had that sense of achievement/disappointment in WoW, DAOC, RYL, RYL2, Lineage 2, Asheron's Call, Asheron's Call, etc. I merely played the games as "games" and thats it. I remember certain events playing EQ as if it were a High School Sporting Event memory. If any of you ever played sports in school, you know the kind. Somehow you did something that caused your team to win or you did something that set the crowd on fire. Something special to you. They might be "stupid", but they stick with you forever.

Anyway, my point is that WoW is simply a game to have fun. There is no reason to make fun of a person because of that. Just like there is no reason to make fun of a person for playing Vanguard because they play it for the "experience".
QFT

I mainly play WoW to hang out with my buddies on line. If they all switch to Vanguard I would be playing that. I am not a WoW fanboi at all. WoW still has problems that I hate about it.

The games I can't wait for are Age of Conan and Warhammer. I hope those two will bury WoW. I want something new.

Quote:
Vanguard is a bit more in depth. Whether you like it or not, it is geared towards a higher age bracket of players(most people i play with are in their 30's). People play Vanguard and EQ to get an experience out of a game. We want hardships. We want struggles. While we all don't like dieing, we WANT to die. When we die, we want to be punished for it. Why? It allows you to show how a person really is. Real characteristics of people show up in a "serious" MMORPG like Vanguard or EQ. If you die in WoW(which is very hard to do) do you care? No not really. If you die in Vanguard and EQ, you are going to have to deal with a severe penalty and will probably get right pissed off. This causes conflict. Some people(like me) enjoy conflict.
I like conflict. I don't like stupidity.
UDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-07, 08:29 PM   #70
Xion X2
Registered User
 
Xion X2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: U.S.
Posts: 6,701
Default Re: Double Experience Weekend on Vanguard... Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
Why would you compare graphics between the two? I don't think anyone ever said WoW had better graphics...I still prefer the "cartoony" art style of WoW to the generic look of Vanguard to be honest though. Karazhan still looks amazing despite the lack of bump-mapping. And it stays locked at 60fps at 1920x1200.
Umm, because graphics are a big factor in whether or not many people will buy the game/get into the experience?

A game that has cartoony, N64-like graphics such as WoW is really hard for individuals like myself to get into in this day and age when there are other very good MMOs out there like Vanguard which slaughter it in visuals.

I mean, let's be realistic. I like to bring up my emulator every now and then and play some old-skool Zelda for a couple of hours, but I'm not going to sit there in front of it night after night months upon months and play it the length of time that these MMOs require. As I said before, if I'm going to be looking at a game for that length of time, then I want it to be visually impressive.

I don't see why you have a problem with that kind of mindset. If you would adjust a few settings in your graphics panel, then you could get Vanguard locked at 30+fps on your single GTX. I know it's possible, because I've done it. Scale the draw distance down some (not a ton, just a little), turn bloom off, turn shadows down to 50%, and you have a game that runs well and still looks a heck of a lot better than WoW.
__________________

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-07, 08:37 PM   #71
Xion X2
Registered User
 
Xion X2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: U.S.
Posts: 6,701
Default Re: Double Experience Weekend on Vanguard... Again

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/...ure/index.html

Enough said.
__________________

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-07, 09:17 PM   #72
pkirby11
Registered User
 
pkirby11's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 927
Send a message via AIM to pkirby11
Default Re: Double Experience Weekend on Vanguard... Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDawg
First things first, I don't mind people bashing WoW. I just like harmless bickering back and forth.

People don't play WoW because it is named warcraft. Sure that attracked people to it but its playability is what keeps people playing.

I have played both game and to say WoW is dumbed down is silly. In what way is it dumbed down? The stories are deeper, the quests more complex and the rewards for questing much better. The biggest difference between teh two is the crafting and grinding. Vanguard has fantastic crafting system. It blows WoW's away. I really had fun with that part of the game. The grinding is where I didn't have fun. I hate mindless grinding and slow leveling. If you like that then play Vanguard. I don't so I play WoW. At the same time WoW had 10 more levels to hit the cap than Vanguard so it kinda averaged out.

WRT to the graphics, WoW chose to have a more stylized graphical look to it. I don't see anythign wrong with that. Vanguard chose to have a more realistic look to it. I really liked Vanguards graphics but their constant problems with the graphics engine really negates the look of the game for me.
Give me a break, WOW has deep stories? Please name a few points to back up the facts you say about WOW. Now remember, I'm not comparing it Vanguard I think the plot in that game is lacking too. I just personally really want to know what is so unique and engrossing about WOWs quests? Go here, kill this mob and get reward. That was deep man. Sorry I played WOW for 2 years straight and I'm done with it, Blizzard is just a money grubbing wh*re!
__________________
Steam: pkirby11

PSN: pkirby11
pkirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weekend Game Deals ' Total score News Gaming Headlines 0 06-16-12 12:10 AM
NVIDIA Brings 18 Years of Experience to Windows 8 News Archived News Items 0 06-03-12 06:20 AM
No Guild Wars 2 beta this weekend News Archived News Items 0 05-24-12 08:10 AM
Ubisoft Publisher Weekend - Day 2 - From Dust, Rayman Origins and Shoot Many Robots 5 News Archived News Items 0 05-18-12 09:10 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.