Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-14-07, 12:31 PM   #85
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Default Re: Double Experience Weekend on Vanguard... Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
Obviously Vanguard looks better because it is a brand new game. The only thing that bugs me is how people can say that Vanguard has "no art direction and is bland". Vanguard isn't EQ2. Vanguard has a much better sense of art now. Hell, even since beta alot of the art has improved. They pretty much changed EVERYTHING. Vanguard's art is actually rather good. Not as colorful as WoW, but its not meant to be. Just like WoW isn't meant to have state of the art graphics.
Don't get me wrong, I didn't mean to compare it to the crap-fest that was/is EQ2. Vanguard is leagues ahead of that. What I meant was that while the game does indeed look nice graphically it just didn't have anything that made it stand out from other fantasy settings artistically. For example looking at the screenshot Xion posted I would have thought it was from Oblivion if I didn't know better. It still looks fantastic though and to be honest I'd be up for a more realistic/generic looking fantasy setting as long as the game delivers.

I would really like to try Vanguard out though, my only exposure to it is screenshots and a few videos. Does anyone know if a trial period is in the works?

BTW Xion I thought I'd mention the WoW screenshots you posted lack anisotropic filtering and the full-screen glow effect negates FSAA, not to mention makes the game look like crap. If the extent of your WoW experience was a few hours in a starting zone you've seen absolutely nothing the game has to offer as far as design and artwork is concerned, unless you're in one of the new starting zones (the newbie Draenei zone and both the Blood Elf zones are fantastic). The atmosphere and ambiance each zone contains is lost in static screenshots like that too. And don't get me started on the instances. Some of them are bland as hell but some are just amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
Look at that screenshot. There's nothing "generic" or fake looking about it. It looks like a real freaking forest. The grass looks real. The mountains look real. The trees look real. The water looks real. And the volumetric clouds, an effect that no other game to this point has used, look so freaking real that you can almost reach out and touch them. They have a 3-D mass to them as they move across the sky.
You just described perfectly why I call it generic. It looks great but there's nothing particularly special about it. Compared with a zone like Zangarmarsh or Nagrand in WoW, it just bores me, at least when I'm used to seeing something more imaginative. That's not to say it looks BAD in any way, it looks incredible. Just generically incredible.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-07, 12:36 PM   #86
Xion X2

Mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah.

From the Official World of Warcraft thread--
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...t=46456&page=9
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDawg
My problem is that I have had nothing but server problems since I got this game. I get boot much of the.

If this happend once in a great while I wouldn't think about it twice but it happens almost every other day for me.
Quote:
This is total crap! I really am pissed that I wasted the last 3 months on this game only for them to intorduce a usless patch that did NOTHING but make things worse. Not only did the NOT listen to their customers but they added crap NO ONE WANTED.
Quote:
Have you also noticed that even getting onto their useless site is a pain in the ass!? Especially when they are having problems, for get about it.
Quote:
You may have had a better experience tham me and that is great but all I can go by is the service I have receive since I started it. We pay for their servers to be up and running not for patch after patch and down time.
Quote:
I am completely bored with WOW. I log on kill a few things then go to bed.
Quote:
I canceled my account. I cashed in all my weapons, armor and trinkets and got 60g for the lot. I then gave it to a guy who helped me out a lot in the game. I am just bored with this game and have moved on. It was great while it lasted but I got my mony worth out of it...I think.
And the best of all.. the one thing he so critically addressed to Vanguard:
Quote:
Un'Goro is one huge grind zone. Almost all the quests there involve grinding except maybe two.
Quote:
We'll of curse. No one said it couldn't be done quickly. We are saying it is boring. Grinding just plane sucks.
Me thinks someone has a selective memory! LMFAO!

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-07, 12:38 PM   #87
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Me thinks someone has a selective memory! LMFAO!
Grats on quoting 2 year old posts?
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 03-14-07, 12:53 PM   #88
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
Grats on quoting 2 year old posts?
Who gives a damn how old the posts are? Some of the same bugs/problems he so eagerly criticizes Vanguard for are some of the same problems WoW had on its release.

And that's the point. Not to pick on any one poster here, but let's keep the BS at bay, guys.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 03-14-07, 12:59 PM   #89
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Who gives a damn how old the posts are? Some of the same bugs/problems he so eagerly criticizes Vanguard for are some of the same problems WoW had on its release.
You quoted him trying to say that his opinions changed in an attempt to discredit him...of course his opinions changed, that was two years ago and as you just said WoW was a different game back then. Read the thread I quit playing WoW for over 6 months during that time period due to boredom. The game is much better now. What Vanguard has to do with that I have no idea.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 03-14-07, 01:04 PM   #90
UDawg
Retired spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
Meh, you'd be surprised. Frankly I could care less what people say about vanguard. I am fully aware of its bugs and problems. Just as I am fully aware of WoW's problems.
yeah, you haven't been defensive and you shouldn't. If you like Vanguard that's great. If you don't like WoW and its graphics, fine. I really don't care. What people like Xi are doing is lashing out and that's fine.

Quote:
And yes I have played WoW. Its not a bad game. I never said it was. Its just not my type of game. Just like Vanguard isn't yours.
Vanguard could by my type of games with a few minor changes. The biggest change would be to get the graphics engine to work well.

Graphics elitists are funny. They are the type of people who would play Night Elfs because they look pretty.

Xi played a hour or two of WoW. I'm sure you can get the gist of the game in that amound of time. LOL!
UDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-07, 01:04 PM   #91
Xion X2

@ Ninjaman: What "Vanguard has to do with it," is that Vanguard was ALSO just released.

That's what it has to do with it.

I didn't quote him for the purpose of saying his opinions changed. I quoted him primarily to show that he seems to be willingly oblivious to the fact that WoW had plenty of the same problems upon its release that Vanguard has now. Should it not be given the same amount of time, in an individual's eyes, to work its problems out just like WoW did? I'm guessing that, going by their actions, the opinion of a few here would be "no." They'd like to keep on believing that WoW was problem-free upon its release and that there is/was no grinding, etc.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 03-14-07, 01:17 PM   #92
Xion X2

Quote:
What people like Xi are doing is lashing out and that's fine.
Oh cut the BS. Wow.

"Lashing out?" I'm just trying to keep the BS at bay. That's all. I don't know how you think you can keep perpetuating this myth that all of this criticism of Vanguard is making me upset (I'm actually kicking back in my chair with a ****-eating grin on my face). What does get under my skin, however, is someone who tries to keep perpetuating BS lies about something that just aren't true. And you have done a good bit of that on this topic.

Quote:
Graphics elitists are funny. They are the type of people who would play Night Elfs because they look pretty.
Not all of them are like that. Graphics mean an awful lot to me, I'll admit. But a ****ty game is a ****ty game--whether or not it's a technical splendor or not. There have been plenty of great looking games that I've passed on because of crappy gameplay. A very recent example is Infernal.

Quote:
Xi played a hour or two of WoW. I'm sure you can get the gist of the game in that amound of time. LOL!
Heh, you know that's not what I meant. I'm sure there's some impressive artwork in the game, and it's certainly more of a fantasy-style look than what Vanguard is. That can be both a good and bad thing. It can be good if the graphics aren't quite so simplistic-looking, which I think WoW's are from everything I've seen of it so far, including the pictures you guys posted on the Warcraft thread I was perusing while ago when I found those gold nugget quotes of yours.

I wouldn't say that Vanguard is "generic", though, as Ninjaman put it. Generic means fake, and there's nothing at all fake about Vanguard. Perhaps he meant to say that it looks too realistic with not enough fantasy. That would've made more sense.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz

Old 03-14-07, 01:17 PM   #93
UDawg
Retired spammer

Quote:

And that's the point. Not to pick on any one poster here, but let's keep the BS at bay, guys.
You actually took time to research my posts on the WoW forums? LOL

My opinion of WoW has changed dramatically. There are still things I hate about it. Your point would be valid if I said how great WoW is. I have never said it was the greatest game. I said it is better than Vanguard and its.

Back when WoW first came out and even a year after it had big problems but this las half a year they addressed almost all of them. Vangaurd is in the same situation and it will get better over time. The think I can't stand about Vanguard that will not change is its physics engine. It is so awkward and annoying.

Also keep in mind, that my criticizm of WoW when it was new shows that I don't have a bias based on fanboyism. I criticized both games. You get up set that I criticized Vanguard a game I played while you criticize WoW a game you have not played and no 2 or so hours is not playing a game is big as WoW. You also ignore my praises about Vanguard. You ignored that I love the crafting system and the card game. They were brilliant ideas. The problem is my criticizms of the game out weigh my likes but not by much. Still MMOs are time consuming and I can only play one so I will stick with WoW until Age of Conan comes out.

Honestly, you are holding a drudge against me because I flamed you. Let it gro bro.
Old 03-14-07, 01:26 PM   #94
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
@ Ninjaman: What "Vanguard has to do with it," is that Vanguard was ALSO just released.

That's what it has to do with it.

Should it not be given the same amount of time, in an individual's eyes, to work its problems out just like WoW did? I'm guessing that, going by their actions, the opinion of a few here would be "no." They'd like to keep on believing that WoW was problem-free upon its release and that there is/was no grinding, etc.
First of all, I didn't see anyone talking about Vanguard never living up to its potential. In fact I'm eagerly awaiting it to so I can try it out without worrying about feeling like I'm beta testing it like I did with WoW at release. In 2 years time it may be one of the most polished MMORPGs around.

WoW is a grindfest. It's an MMORPG, they're all grindfests. The difference between them is how you grind and that's about it. Leveling up in WoW you can either grind quests, mobs, instances, or all three (the best way). Questing gives you an objective and sometimes involves more interesting gameplay (mostly BC zones) but is still a form of grinding. Endgame is all grinding too. PvP is grinding. Grinding is fun if it's designed well.

I've read nothing in this thread from anyone suggesting Vanguard will never overcome its launch problems.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 03-14-07, 01:32 PM   #95
UDawg
Retired spammer

Quote:
Oh cut the BS. Wow.

"Lashing out?" I'm just trying to keep the BS at bay. That's all. I don't know how you think you can keep perpetuating this myth that all of this criticism of Vanguard is making me upset (I'm actually kicking back in my chair with a ****-eating grin on my face). What does get under my skin, however, is someone who tries to keep perpetuating BS lies about something that just aren't true. And you have done a good bit of that on this topic.

Not all of them are like that. Graphics mean an awful lot to me, I'll admit. But a ****ty game is a ****ty game--whether or not it's a technical splendor or not. There have been plenty of great looking games that I've passed on because of crappy gameplay. A very recent example is Infernal.

Heh, you know that's not what I meant. I'm sure there's some impressive artwork in the game, and it's certainly more of a fantasy-style look than what Vanguard is. That can be both a good and bad thing. It can be good if the graphics aren't quite so simplistic-looking, which I think WoW's are from everything I've seen of it so far, including the pictures you guys posted on the Warcraft thread I was perusing while ago when I found those gold nugget quotes of yours.

I wouldn't say that Vanguard is "generic", though, as Ninjaman put it. Generic means fake, and there's nothing at all fake about Vanguard. Perhaps he meant to say that it looks too realistic with not enough fantasy. That would've made more sense.
Ya know Xi, you hav gotten me totaly wrong. I have followed Vanguard for the last two years. I was so excited about this game. Once I got into the BETA my excitement was killed. Then I said I will give the game a try after what Tyger said about it. I really wanted to like this game and in fact I do like the game even with its flaws. As I have said before I think the flaws will be worked out over time but they still frustrated me. That being said I decided to go back to WoW because I have time for only one MMO and Vanguard was just not enough to pull me away from WoW.
Old 03-14-07, 01:35 PM   #96
Xion X2

Quote:
You actually took time to research my posts on the WoW forums? LOL
Don't flatter yourself. I was looking for some more up-to-date screens of WoW (remember my request for that a few posts up?) and figured there would be a few on the Warcraft thread here. In the process, I ran across some pretty hilarious quotes of yours--a completely different opinion of WoW that you were putting on display.

Quote:
Your point would be valid if I said how great WoW is.
Oh, I think it's valid anyway. Because a lot of the same things you've criticized Vanguard for in comparison to WoW you also criticized WoW for on that thread I quoted you on.

Quote:
Back when WoW first came out and even a year after it had big problems but this las half a year they addressed almost all of them. Vangaurd is in the same situation and it will get better over time.
I agree.

Quote:
The think I can't stand about Vanguard that will not change is its physics engine. It is so awkward and annoying.
Legitimate complaint. It is slightly annoying to me as well.

See? I have absolutely, 100% no problem with you criticizing Vanguard! That has nothing to do with it.

Quote:
Also keep in mind, that my criticizm of WoW when it was new shows that I don't have a bias based on fanboyism.
Well, I will extend you that courtesy if you also extend it to me. You called me a fanboy previously when I have posted several complaints about Vanguard myself on these forums. I've never gotten why you thought that about me after some of the comments that I've made about the game.

Quote:
You get up set that I criticized Vanguard
And you were doing so well. No, no, no, NO, NO!

I don't get upset when you criticize Vanguard. Stop perpetuating this silly little myth of yours. I only get upset when people try to back up their criticism with bull*(#@ complaints that make no sense. Like you saying the game is "one-dimensional," for example. WTF? Grinding, crafting, harvesting, diplomacy, questing--how does that make it one-dimensional.

Say it's boring. Say it lags. Say there's too much grinding. Say the graphics aren't fantasy-style enough for you. Whatever. But don't espouse bull(#*@ reasons for backing up your criticism of it. It just makes it look like you're searching for things instead of being truthful.

Quote:
You also ignore my praises about Vanguard.
Not at all. I've seen them, but they were never really a part of the discussion, so I didn't feel the need to comment on them.

Quote:
Honestly, you are holding a drudge against me because I flamed you. Let it gro bro.
What is a "drudge?" I think you meant "grudge," which I'm not. I "let it go" a long time ago.. right up to the point I saw you spouting inaccuracies again. The only reason I replied is because your comments were in direct contradiction to the facts. That's all. It had nothing to do with me having my widdle feewings hurt, so stop trying to perpetuate that myth, please.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz