Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-08-07, 06:53 PM   #1
Roliath

Default Ballistix bad...."again"

This will be about the fourth time i've rma'd this ram..
And its hilarious..Like clockwork..works good for a few months then BAM it goes bad. Not overclocking the ram (running underclocked @ 480Mhz) with 2.8v.
soooo yeah...
Anybody else gone through this issue?
Old 03-08-07, 07:11 PM   #2
kevJ420
*BANNED*

Default Re: Ballistix bad...."again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roliath
And its hilarious..Like clockwork..works good for a few months then BAM it goes bad. Not overclocking the ram (running underclocked @ 480Mhz) with 2.8v.
soooo yeah...
I hope I won't have issues with it. But to answer your question, this is just a suggestion, but perhaps having different brands of memory makes them go bad?

Also, did you buy them OEM or retail? I think that might make a difference.

I've also heard that 1 stick in a package works, and the other one is bad.

None of this may help, but I hope it does.
kevJ420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-07, 07:14 PM   #3
kevJ420
*BANNED*

Also, voltage setting in BIOS may need to be changed. If you set it to auto then maybe you should set it to the mean voltage crucial recommends and vice versa. I think Crucials run at a different voltage than other brands.
kevJ420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-07, 07:15 PM   #4
firehawk

iam currently running Ballistix that i had to rma once. i had it for 3-4 months and started getting aton of bsod and app hangs rma'd it and problems went away

iam also having hardware issues right now and have replaced everything but the ram. so maybe....
firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-07, 07:16 PM   #5
methimpikehoses

Quote:
soooo yeah...

Well 2.8V is awfully high... I assume you meant to write 1.8V

I sold some Crucial Ballistix this week on Craigslist... it worked fine, but I decided to go with something cheaper with all of these crazy price drops on DDR2. New RAM in the sig. I actually got 4gb from the Egg but had to RMA one set because I got a bad stick.
Old 03-08-07, 07:22 PM   #6
firehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by methimpikehoses

I sold some Crucial Ballistix this week on Craigslist... it worked fine, but I decided to go with something cheaper with all of these crazy price drops on DDR2. New RAM in the sig. I actually got 4gb from the Egg but had to RMA one set because I got a bad stick.

mine is 2.8.

2X1gig sticks
firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-07, 07:25 PM   #7
Roliath

Quote:

this is DDR not DDR2
Crucial Recommends 2.8v, and that is what is set in the bios.
I've always have a fan over the ram and i've tried all different types of combo's of ram.
The worst is the Crucial alone..G.Skill is going strong. I've tried with 4gB of Tracers and i still get bsod's and what not.
I'm exhausted all options so this will be the final choice.

They offered to cross ship me the ram by charging what I originally paid for them back in 05 ($399) when I saw them for $199 on newegg.
Ugh..hopefully I can get the money and go conroe soon..
Old 03-08-07, 07:36 PM   #8
methimpikehoses

Quote:
this is DDR not DDR2
Uh, roger that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roliath
.G.Skill is going strong. I've tried with 4gB of Tracers and i still get bsod's and what not.
I'm exhausted all options so this will be the final choice.
Sorry, I don't have anything helpful... I assume you have put the G Skill in the DIMM slots to make sure it's not the mobo that is a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roliath

They offered to cross ship me the ram by charging what I originally paid for them back in 05 ($399) when I saw them for $199 on newegg.
Ugh..hopefully I can get the money and go conroe soon..
There's some good deals right now for Conroe + EVGA 680i (roll the dice) with a $50 discount... or add another GTX for SLI for $700. Still have to get teh RAM tho. The Conroe will really make your GTX shine.

Old 03-08-07, 07:46 PM   #9
Roliath

Quote:
Uh, roger that.

Sorry, I don't have anything helpful... I assume you have put the G Skill in the DIMM slots to make sure it's not the mobo that is a problem.

There's some good deals right now for Conroe + EVGA 680i (roll the dice) with a $50 discount... or add another GTX for SLI for $700. Still have to get teh RAM tho. The Conroe will really make your GTX shine.
Where are these deals you speak of?
It just so happens to be my birthday today and my mother is asking me what I want.
But if i go conroe i need to get 4gb of ram aswell (will not go 2gb) along with a 6600 or better. I'm hearing alot of bad rep on the 680i (good and bad)..top that with a heatsink and it adds up to a good chunk of change.
Old 03-08-07, 08:40 PM   #10
methimpikehoses

Newegg deal:

http://promotions.newegg.com/misc/commander/index.html

There are a million threads on this forum about the pluses and minuses of the 680i. It is definitely the "bleeding edge" tech.

If you go to an E6600 from your Opty, I think you will see that you don't need the 4gb RAM. I went from an FX-60 and the Conroes kill it. But RAM is cheap right now, so just sell the DDR and replace.

HSs are an expense, but there are always sales on those too:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835185038

Either way you cut it, it costs money... well, I mean it costs your mother money.
Old 03-08-07, 09:10 PM   #11
Xion X2

If you're tired of RAM problems, then you definitely don't want to go with a 680i board. I don't think there's been anything definitively proven yet, but a lot--and I stress that a *LOT* of people have reported bad memory after using the 680i for a few months. Makes you wonder if there's something to that.

On top of that, they're unreliable as hell. Had 3 of them go kaput on me in a period of 3 months.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-07, 09:54 PM   #12
HeavyH20
Hardware Addict

I have two systems with 680i boards and the Ballistix Tracer DDR2 that I run at 1000 and 1066 Mhz 4-3-3-6, 2T 2.35V since October. No issues, yet.