Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-09-07, 12:31 PM   #1
kanchev

Default Laptop Fn-keys for brightness

Hello,
I was wondering how can I make the Fn-keys on my laptop work?
I'm using Fedora Core 6, Xorg 7.1.1, nvidia 1.0.9755 (from livna), GNOME, Compiz.
I'm not able to find anything about video in the GNOME Keyboard Shortcuts.
Video: Geforce Go 7400
kanchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-07, 04:44 PM   #2
Lithorus

Default Re: Laptop Fn-keys for brightness

You can setup shortcuts to use the commands "smartdimmer -i" and "smartdimmer -d"
Lithorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-07, 02:30 PM   #3
abraxas_

ha, that's an old and annoying problem and there is no easy way to get it out of the way.

The FN-keys for brightness-control are hardware-level on some laptops... the OS doesn't see them so you'll probably have to assign brightness-control to some other keys...

What I'm really curios about is, however, why the keys do not work with the proprietary drivers on my GeForce 7400 Go, but everything works fine with the OS-drivers... Nvidia Drivers seem to interfere with the mechanism in some way...

Anybody knows what's causing this? Will it be taken care of by the developers?
abraxas_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-07, 05:53 AM   #4
Thunderbird

I recommend you to install the latest nvclock from cvs to play with smartdimmer. Most likely it supports your gpu. Though you could use smartdimmer as well (the tool is based on a stripped down nvclock) I recommend you to use nvclock as it is more up to date and can more correctly detect the presence of smartdimmer.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-07, 12:09 PM   #5
abraxas_

Thanks for the tip, nvclock works just fine

Still, it forces me to use the wm or X to get it done... thanks to beryl, I can even bind it to the mouse wheel (although I'm having issues. I don't have time rightnow, but will post later).
But I must adjust the wm to do it... and can't adjust brightess while in a screensaver or log-in screen... So having the Fn-keys work again would still be a very good idea...
abraxas_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-07, 10:38 AM   #6
edvonschleck

Hello,

are there any news on this problem? I dont want to install any extra software for controlling the brightness. i found out that using the vesa driver will let me controll the brightness. so its a driver problem and should be fixed...
edvonschleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-07, 10:58 AM   #7
Thunderbird

Different laptop vendors use different mechanisms to control the brightness. Some use the smartdimmer functionality from the nvidia gpu (this is what nvidia changes) and some use ACPI or something else.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote