Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-09-07, 03:33 PM   #1
bpepers

Default 8800 GTX slow with KDE

I wrote a thread on this with the previous release (see http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85528) but it looks like its been lost in the cracks so I'm starting another thread now using 9755.

I used to have a 7900 GTX card that I upgraded to a 8800 GTX. The 8800 seems *way* slower than the 7900. When I use Ctrl-F1 to switch to a desktop that has Firefox open maximized (1920x1440), I can watch it redraw in chunks at a time and its a very noticable delay before its all drawn. Also during this time Xorg uses up a lot of CPU time. With nothing else going on and just using Ctrl-F1, Ctrl-F2 over and over to switch between desktops, my CPU use goes up in to the 90's and its all for Xorg. I'm using Kubuntu 6.06 and was using the default KDE theme until it was just too slow and I switched to something simpler. Interestingly I found that if I changed to Gnome then the desktop seemed perfectly fine and fast (though I'm not sure now if I was testing with Thunderbird/Firefox which seem to be the main culprits). Also it seems to depend on the application that is running. If I maximize my konsole or emacs screens and then switch between a blank desktop and the one with the konsole and emacs, the CPU usage is only around 21% for Xorg and its nice and fast to switch. If I switch between two desktops running Thunderbird and Firefox (maximized), the delays are huge with up to 2 seconds to finish drawing the desktop each time.

It looks to me like something that KDE is doing is very slow and CPU intensive on the 8800GTX when it was very fast on the 7900GTX but that it depends on the application whether its slow or not.

If someone could duplicate this and get it to become a bug to be fixed, that would be great!
bpepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-07, 04:02 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: 8800 GTX slow with KDE

You're stating that if you pull out the 8800GTX and replace it with the 7900GTX, performance improves (with no other changes)?

Also see:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46678
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-07, 04:46 PM   #3
bpepers

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
You're stating that if you pull out the 8800GTX and replace it with the 7900GTX, performance improves (with no other changes)?
Yes exactly. Huge change in speed. Noticed no slowness when switching between desktops in Kubuntu 6.06 with the 7900 GTX. Now it feels like I've moved to a much slower graphics processor after doing nothing other than switching to the 8800GTX. Up to 2 seconds to finish drawing the Firefox window when I switch to the desktop with it. When I was using the default theme for KDE on Kubuntu, even grabbing a window and dragging it would move in jumps and pauses and would consume +90% CPU. Its better now that I'm using a less intensive theme but the previous theme was fine for the 7900 card.

My computer is an Athlon 64 X2 4800+ so its SMP if that makes a difference.

Quote:
I attached a nvidia-bug-report.log.gz file to the thread mentioned above. Nothing has changed hardware wise for me. I did upgrade to 9755 from 9746 but this didn't make the problem any worse or better.
Old 03-09-07, 04:50 PM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Is this problem specific to KDE?
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-07, 04:52 PM   #5
bpepers

Here is another bug log output now running 9755 just in case it helps.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (33.2 KB, 397 views)
Old 03-09-07, 04:58 PM   #6
bpepers

Quote:
Is this problem specific to KDE?
I thought it was at first but I just went in to Gnome and opened up Thunderbird and Firefox maximized on different workspaces and switching between them also causes slow drawing. I thought it was KDE at first because I think the default theme for KDE is very intensive and so when I switched to Gnome, it seemed so much faster. But after switching my KDE to a simpler theme, it is still way slower than it was with the 7900 or than it should be. And its like this on KDE or Gnome.
Old 03-09-07, 07:08 PM   #7
El_Presidente

i notice this problem too, with my 8800gts
e.g. when i start an application through wine the whole screen wents black
and then if i move the starte app around the black curtain lifts slowly ...

i also have kde 3.5.6

PS: when i switch to consoles top shows a 100% cpu usage
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (104.8 KB, 324 views)
El_Presidente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-07, 07:44 PM   #8
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

As usual with these threads, do you have subpixel hinted antialiased text enabled, and does setting nvidia-settings -a InitialPixmapPlacement=2 help?
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-07, 09:12 PM   #9
El_Presidente

well i dont know if subpixel antialasing is enabled.
all i found is a setting in kde control center in TT fonts
but there sub pixel hinting is disabled

but the nvidia-settings -a InitialPixmapPlacement=2
didnt help.

PS:

i also notice sometimes a HUGE performance drop, even aiglx doesnt work anymore properly
most of the time just ssh from an other pc helps to shut X down because the
pc is not responding properly anymore.
Attached Files
File Type: gz dunkel.jpg.tar.gz (79.2 KB, 304 views)
El_Presidente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-07, 10:47 AM   #10
bpepers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP
As usual with these threads, do you have subpixel hinted antialiased text enabled, and does setting nvidia-settings -a InitialPixmapPlacement=2 help?
I don't have sub-pixel hinted antialiased text enabled and setting the InitialPixmapPlacement=2 didn't help at all (you asked me to do that last time and it didn't help this problem).
Old 03-10-07, 04:30 PM   #11
Nebuchadneza

I actually encounter what seems to be the same problem. I upgraded my whole system and used to have a GeForce 5900. Now I have a GeForce 8800 GTS and the symptoms are as described earlier in this thread. When I move windows in front of applications (most noticable on firefox and other GTK applications), repainting is slow and X Server CPU usage skyrockets.
What is odd: An embedded flash applet on a website always refreshes quickly. I attached a screenshot showing this effect.

I wasn't sure what the problem was, as I also changed from single-core to dual-core CPU and exchanged the motherboard. But seeing this problem described here with connection to to GF 8800 makes me wonder. Unfortunately I don't have an older PCIe card here right now to test.

Let me know if I can provide any further information.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	repaint_problem.jpg
Views:	980
Size:	281.6 KB
ID:	24482  
Nebuchadneza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-07, 06:12 PM   #12
OrqwithVagrant

I also have this issue, although I use Gnome. Likewise, I previously had a 7900GTX that did not have the problem when used in the same system, with no other changes.
With the 8800GTX the GUI shows severe "lagginess". It doesn't matter whether running regular 2D, or an AIGLX-composited desktop.
It's worth pointing out that I've seen no performance problem with 3D or video performance, only drawing of GUI elements.

Neither antialiasing mode or "nvidia-settings -a InitialPixmapPlacement=2" make any difference. Using a "pixmap-heavy" theme, like one of the many "brushed metal" types, makes the problem worse.

nvidia-bugreport.log attatched.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (33.4 KB, 319 views)
OrqwithVagrant is offline   Reply With Quote