Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-16-03, 04:36 PM   #1
salveson

Default nforce driver and Redhat 8.0

I have tried installing the new nforce driver for redhat 8.0 in a number of ways: rpm, source rpm, and tar file. In every case I get the same two problems: 1) I can no longer access my USB devices, and 2) if I leave the reference to the sound device in my modules.conf file, KDE crashes (and locks up) when I launch startx. Previous versions of the nforce drivers worked well with my sound and USB drivers, but wouldn't activate eth0. eth0 is now the only thing functioning.

Anyone else having these difficulties? For now, I am living without sound and USB devices.
salveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-03, 07:45 PM   #2
etr

Well, are you installing just the network driver, or are you installing both the sound and the network driver? I'd have to check, but I think you can just use the i810 driver for the nForce in Linux. The "driver" included in the .tar file is just a patch for an older i810 driver anyway. If you managed to get two audio modules fighting for the same hardware, I see where sound problems could develop.

I'm not sure why the USB would break, but it PROBABLY makes sense to target the sound first. I have seen references to USB problems with the nForce before, but no explanation as to the source. I think in some cases, reloading the USB module can rectify the problem, though that is a pain.
etr is offline   Reply With Quote