Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-10-07, 11:00 AM   #1
Vasek

Default GLX_TEXTURE_2D_BIT problem

Hello,

I'm new to this theme, so please fix me if this is not related to the NVIDIA driver.
I think the glXCreatePixmap function is not fully conforming to the GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap extension specification. To be exact, I'll be referring to the following quote from http://www.opengl.org/registry/specs...rom_pixmap.txt:
Quote:
The default value of GLX_TEXTURE_TARGET_EXT
depends on the capabilities in <config> and the dimensions of the pixmap.
If <config> has GLX_TEXTURE_2D_BIT set and one or more of the following is
true:

* GLX_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_BIT_EXT is not set in <config>

* GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two is supported

* the pixmap's width and height are powers of 2

the default value for GLX_TEXTURE_TARGET_EXT is GLX_TEXTURE_2D_EXT.

Otherwise, the first supported target is chosen in this order:
GLX_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_EXT, GLX_TEXTURE_1D_EXT.
None of the FBConfigs returned by glXGetFBConfigs on my computer has the GLX_TEXTURE_2D_BIT_EXT bit set in GLX_BIND_TO_TEXTURE_TARGETS_EXT, so power-of-two-dimensioned pixmaps should behave exactly like any others. However, they cause the BadMatch error if GLX_TEXTURE_FORMAT_EXT is set to GLX_TEXTURE_FORMAT_RGB_EXT or GLX_TEXTURE_FORMAT_RGBA_EXT. The error is not raised when GLX_TEXTURE_TARGET_EXT is explicitly set to GLX_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_EXT in the attribute list.

Or am I doing or understanding anything wrong?
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (105.3 KB, 98 views)
Vasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-07, 03:26 PM   #2
Vasek

Default Re: GLX_TEXTURE_2D_BIT problem

I apologize for drawing attention to my own post this way, I won't do it again. I'm just a bit sad that no one of charge did reply at least with "this is not our fault". And I still think it is :-) But after reading corresponding passages in the driver README, I'm leaving sending an e-mail to linux-bugs[]nvidia.com as the last possibility... Mainly because this is a minor issue, obviously doesn't happen on each configuration -- but when it does, the important thing is:
This is the source of maybe 9999 in 10000 of the "compiz: pixmap 0x?????? can't be bound to texture" errors (and accompanying slowdown) on my computer.
(I'm not exaggerating the numbers.) I'm sure you have seen such complaints here...
Old 03-14-07, 05:08 PM   #3
jamesjones
NVIDIA Corporation

You're right Vasek, this is our bug. I have fixed the error in our default texture target logic. I Apologize for the slow response.
jamesjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-07, 05:31 PM   #4
Vasek

Thank you very much. I didn't want to offend anybody, I was just afraid this post has been lost among many others and the question will remain open. This could be for quite long since I haven't found it discussed anywhere else on the Internet.

Thank you all once more for all the great work for the Linux community. As long as our calls for help are heard, I believe there is no reason to develop alternative drivers.