Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-07-07, 12:36 AM   #109
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: nvidia 7300 and ATI RS480/482 chipset incompatibilities (driver BUG)

The patch is architecture agnostic, but does require that you install the driver using one of the official .run packages (per the instructions above).
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-07, 05:11 AM   #110
doctor-frog

Default Re: nvidia 7300 and ATI RS480/482 chipset incompatibilities (driver BUG)

right. thanks much.
patch duly installed ... and currently running 5 iterations of glxgears as I type ... have GIMPed a new desktop image, and have about 9 websites open.

so far so good. I'll get back later with a further report either way, but here's hoping ...

(just desperate for the smallest excuse to use that smiley and figured now would be as good a time as any!)

-------
Six or seven hours later: And all the angels in heaven rejoiced! It's been six hours since I've been running my five iterations of glxgears, together with all kinds of media and multi-media stuff, and nary a crash or a hold-up!

You appear to have cracked it. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

(Ah, just had to do a few more of those!)
doctor-frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-07, 03:27 PM   #111
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

That's good to hear. Thanks for the update!
Old 08-10-07, 10:53 AM   #112
earoque

After applying the patch, I haven't had any more lock-ups either.

Thanks!
earoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-07, 06:15 PM   #113
necrolin

NVidia.... I LOVE YOU.... Zander... you too.

I was experiencing the exact same type of lockup with my new 8500 GeForce card. The crash was always triggered by Beryl/Compiz in both Archlinux and Ubuntu. Result: mouse moving but the rest of the OS frozen.

Well.... I applied that (experimental) patch you offered in desperation and my system has been solid since yesterday.
necrolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-07, 10:13 PM   #114
mt1086

The patch works good in my computer too. Thanks!
mt1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-07, 04:22 PM   #115
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

@necrolin: are you sure nothing else changed? The patch shouldn't affect GeForce 8 series GPUs.
Old 08-15-07, 12:12 PM   #116
necrolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
@necrolin: are you sure nothing else changed? The patch shouldn't affect GeForce 8 series GPUs.
Beryl & the latest driver were freezing the system like crazy. I applied the patch and it stopped. So I'm pretty sure it was the patch. I didn't change anything else that I can think of. I can try reverting to the "plain" driver if you want me to test this out. I don't mind being a guinea pig.

Old 08-20-07, 12:55 AM   #117
necrolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
8 series GPU's freeze with Beryl or Compiz, but they are fine with Compiz-fusion. Error in: driver, Xorg, kernel? Erghhhh.... who knows?

But it works for now on the regular driver.
Old 08-21-07, 06:06 PM   #118
fldc

Send a message via ICQ to fldc Send a message via MSN to fldc Send a message via Yahoo to fldc

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrolin
8 series GPU's freeze with Beryl or Compiz, but they are fine with Compiz-fusion. Error in: driver, Xorg, kernel? Erghhhh.... who knows?

But it works for now on the regular driver.
compiz-fusion uses compiz as core, no difference there, only extra plugins and configurator, beryl is just plain dated.
fldc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-07, 02:45 PM   #119
graziano1

Ok, I have managed to rebuild the test machine with ATI chipset and 7300GS and with the patch works. for me...

at last....

Thanks for Your work.
graziano1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-07, 02:03 AM   #120
necrolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldc
compiz-fusion uses compiz as core, no difference there, only extra plugins and configurator, beryl is just plain dated.
Yeah, but here's the thing. I had a new install of Archlinux and I installed Beryl. Any changes in Beryl's settings would cause X to lock. Even trying to log out would do the same.

I uninstalled Beryl and installed Compiz and had the same thing.

I installed the driver again with the experimental patch and switched to compiz-fusion. All problems stopped. I didn't do any other changes whatsoever. No other programs were installed or uninstalled. To me this would mean that either installing the experimental patch or changing to compiz-fusion fixed the problem. Zander is saying that the patch shouldn't have made a difference. You're saying that Compiz-Fusion shouldn't have made a difference. So the problem just magically solved itself?? I don't have an answer, I'm only passing on my experience, but considering logically that only these 2 variables changed then the answer has to be something to do with these 2 changes. If not one then the other.