Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-08-07, 02:01 AM   #37
ange70

Default Re: nvidia 7300 and ATI RS480/482 chipset incompatibilities (driver BUG)

A nice start would be if Nvidia support tell us how to enable the RMDisableRenderToSysMem driver setting to disable turbocache

Regards
ange70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-07, 10:26 AM   #38
akondichaitanya
*BANNED*

Default Re: nvidia 7300 and ATI RS480/482 chipset incompatibilities (driver BUG)

:-( netllama please tell me what to do...
If nvidia cannot help me solve this problem... the only option I have is to never buy an nVidia again and get rid of this card some how, earlier I used to recommend nvidia over ati to my friends, now I will never buy any other gfx card, I will buy an Xbox and play games on that, and live with whatever onboard gfx I have...
I have to find a way of getting rid of this card by selling it to some windows only users....
akondichaitanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-07, 12:36 PM   #39
Tystrit

Thumbs down Re: nvidia 7300 and ATI RS480/482 chipset incompatibilities (driver BUG)

Will Nouveau be the solution ?
Tystrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-07, 06:26 PM   #40
domini1000

Just to mention, but without the hope of a fix : same hard lockups with both latest nvidia and nv drivers, using RS480 mobo (Asus M2R32-MVP) and nvidia GeForce 7300 GT. Have tried so many kernel, so many .config , so many BIOS settings, Flashed the mobo Bios...I think I will have to revert to non turbocache GPU, but I am appalled by nvidia drivers.
domini1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-07, 10:52 PM   #41
mt1086

no
mt1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-07, 09:38 AM   #42
akondichaitanya
*BANNED*

I can see that nvidia is not responding, does this mean that their product support sucks? nvidia : Break the silence to disprove me....
Old 06-10-07, 11:43 AM   #43
kriko
openSuSE11

Nvidia seems to get silent every time the thread gets long, maybe they are busy writing a fix .
It seems like you guys with ati chipset have lot of problems with nvidia cards, it seems more like ati (now amd) issue to me, not nvidia. Ask ati for a newer bios (report problem first). I have 2 computers with nvidia cards, no xorg freeze or crash (geforce 6600gt, geforce 2mx, mbs have nforce chipsets), both running 24/7 with graphical environment.

Have you tried to watch dmesg before freeze? Open up a terminal, make it stay on top and execute:
Code:
#sudo tail -f /var/log/messages
now start up glxgears. When system freezes you might be able to see some kind of a failure, If you don't is likely you have hw related problem.
kriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-07, 01:32 PM   #44
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

@akondichaitanya: so far, we've been unable to reproduce this problem. There was a similar stability problem with certain ATi chipsets and NV44 based graphics cards that has been worked around in current drivers, but that problem did not reproduce with other GPUs.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-07, 02:11 PM   #45
fldc

Send a message via ICQ to fldc Send a message via MSN to fldc Send a message via Yahoo to fldc

My RS480 based asus MP5RD1-VM S775 motherbard with a Gainward GF7300 GS just hung while reading this thread, i guess it's time to get a new card instead..

Last edited by fldc; 06-13-07 at 03:51 PM.
fldc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-07, 04:59 PM   #46
domini1000

Talking Re: nvidia 7300 and ATI RS480/482 chipset incompatibilities (driver BUG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriko
Nvidia seems to get silent every time the thread gets long, maybe they are busy writing a fix .
It seems like you guys with ati chipset have lot of problems with nvidia cards, it seems more like ati (now amd) issue to me, not nvidia. Ask ati for a newer bios (report problem first). I have 2 computers with nvidia cards, no xorg freeze or crash (geforce 6600gt, geforce 2mx, mbs have nforce chipsets), both running 24/7 with graphical environment.

Have you tried to watch dmesg before freeze? Open up a terminal, make it stay on top and execute:
Code:
#sudo tail -f /var/log/messages
now start up glxgears. When system freezes you might be able to see some kind of a failure, If you don't is likely you have hw related problem.
Hi Kriko, would you mind telling us what mobo you have? Switching mobo is an option as well as switching GPU...
Thanks!
domini1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-07, 05:17 PM   #47
kriko
openSuSE11

My workstation has nforce 3 chipset (gigabyte gak8nspro) the second one has nforce 2 (I think manufacturer is abit, don't know exact model anymore, however I remember that is reporting bios status with voice - very irritating feature).
kriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-07, 10:23 AM   #48
akondichaitanya
*BANNED*

@zander: I am able to reproduce it always.... :-(
Just load a lot of applications to fill your RAM, for example, a typical scenario is:
Open GIMP with a huge high quality scanned image, open f-spot and start importing several pics from one hard drive to another...
Now start the GLMatrix screensaver....
My computer hangs for sure.....
I think each time the graphic driver tries to use the turbo cache memory and encounters an out of memory situation, it freezes the machine....
Just a guess could be wrong also...

Sometimes my computer freezes just when it is sitting idle without doing any thing...

Please tell me in what other way I can help u resolve this annoying bug, I am ready to do any R&D required to find this bug, some debug driver module to identify the bug or something like that... I am ready for trying , if it can resolve the bug.

And I have to use such words to make u respond and I apologize for that...

PS: Dont think that my RAM is having a problem, I ran memtest so many times. And the same never occurs in windows.