Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-10-07, 08:39 PM   #1
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default few questions about vanguard

1) would vanguard be good for first time MMO gamer?
2) how long would it take to advance in level?
3) how much a month?
4) is it worth it?
Old 03-10-07, 08:50 PM   #2
Xion X2

Default Re: few questions about vanguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13
1) would vanguard be good for first time MMO gamer?
2) how long would it take to advance in level?
3) how much a month?
4) is it worth it?
1)--It's been a bit tough for this first-timer, but I now have a firm grip on the gameplay and love it.

2)--You can level up at a decent pace, and sometimes they will have double XP weekends like this one.

3)--14.95$

4)--It's been worth it for me. Vanguard is an outstanding game, although it's not without its faults. The game has been filled with bugs since launch, and many of them still persist today. The positives are that the team has been working constantly to fix these and has been releasing 1-2 patches per week that usually end up substantial improvements to the game.

The best thing about it: The gameplay. It's extremely deep with many different paths to choose. Classes, Races, Questing, crafting, diplomacy, harvesting--they all play big factors in what kind of character you'll turn out to be. And the world of Vanguard is absolutely huge.. bigger than many will get to explore in a lifetime. It makes Oblivion look microscopic by comparison.

The worst thing about it: Optimization. The game runs horrible. It takes an 8800GTX SLI system to run it at a consistent 45+fps with maximum graphics settings which will achieve a perfectly smooth framerate. However, some locations run much better than others and will stay pegged at 60+fps. There is also a lot of hitching in the game due to it accessing your hard drive a lot. it also crashes to the desktop quite often. There have been some slight improvements to game performance in regards to all of the above with the daily patches, and hopefully these will continue.

On the whole, however, I think Vanguard is an outstanding game. If reviews mean anything to you, Gamespot gave it a 9.4/10.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-07, 09:33 PM   #3
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

is there a trail?

i trying to decide if i should try D&D Online or Vanguard
Old 03-10-07, 09:42 PM   #4
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter Bandit
Gamespot actually gave Vanguard a 7.5.

They had alot of complaints about the buggy state of the game.
Yeah, I just checked it out. Strange. When I clicked on it before it brought up a 9.4 score.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-07, 11:28 PM   #5
nV`andrew
Akrynym

Send a message via AIM to nV`andrew Send a message via MSN to nV`andrew Send a message via Skype™ to nV`andrew

this is my first MMO besides free ones and watching my brother play EQ1 when i was little lol. and so far, i love it. runs pretty good on my system, sonmewhat laggy due to fps at parts, but overall good. its the main game ive been playing lately
nV`andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-07, 05:00 AM   #6
glObalist
working as intended

You should try WoW.

** Disclaimer: Couldn't resist. **

Quote:
All MMO's are now baby-school weak. The only good MMO's make your eyes bleed and force you to eat glass. In my day we had to walk uphill in the snow 5 miles *JUST* to log in.
glObalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-07, 06:18 AM   #7
ginfest
"Oderint dum metuant"

Xion "hit the nail on the head" IMHO, I like the game and will continue to play it but there are some niggling problems that need to be sorted.

Heat
ginfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-07, 07:23 PM   #8
Hambone

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13
is there a trail?

i trying to decide if i should try D&D Online or Vanguard
OMG D&D Online was one of the worst attempts and a MMO ever. Pretty horrible game engine too.
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-07, 09:01 PM   #9
Sgt_Pitt

Everquest II is still better imho
Old 03-13-07, 09:26 PM   #10
Hambone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Pitt
Everquest II is still better imho
I just played Vanguard for the first time tonight for about 4 hours.

So far, I'm going to have to highly agree with you. My opinon may change over time with Vanguard but I'm going to have to say that by far (except for PVP fun) EQ2 is the best MMO on the market (hands down).
Old 03-13-07, 09:32 PM   #11
Hambone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
1)--It's been a bit tough for this first-timer, but I now have a firm grip on the gameplay and love it.

2)--You can level up at a decent pace, and sometimes they will have double XP weekends like this one.

3)--14.95$

4)--It's been worth it for me. Vanguard is an outstanding game, although it's not without its faults. The game has been filled with bugs since launch, and many of them still persist today. The positives are that the team has been working constantly to fix these and has been releasing 1-2 patches per week that usually end up substantial improvements to the game.

The best thing about it: The gameplay. It's extremely deep with many different paths to choose. Classes, Races, Questing, crafting, diplomacy, harvesting--they all play big factors in what kind of character you'll turn out to be. And the world of Vanguard is absolutely huge.. bigger than many will get to explore in a lifetime. It makes Oblivion look microscopic by comparison.

The worst thing about it: Optimization. The game runs horrible. It takes an 8800GTX SLI system to run it at a consistent 45+fps with maximum graphics settings which will achieve a perfectly smooth framerate. However, some locations run much better than others and will stay pegged at 60+fps. There is also a lot of hitching in the game due to it accessing your hard drive a lot. it also crashes to the desktop quite often. There have been some slight improvements to game performance in regards to all of the above with the daily patches, and hopefully these will continue.

On the whole, however, I think Vanguard is an outstanding game. If reviews mean anything to you, Gamespot gave it a 9.4/10.

OK since I tried it for the first time tonight...

Races/Classes: The same amount of choices as EQ2.
Graphics: Better and worse. Textures drawing (putting themselves togather in sight) was freaky annoying.

Tradeskilling: Nothing new on EQ2 really

Diplomacy: Something new...

Questing: Same old thing

Land Mass: EQ2 is pretty massive. Double massive with the EoF release. WoW has a pretty good landmass size.

Eh so far I still like EQ2 much better overall. I'm just not impressed. I don't see a big reason to really move full time from EQ2 to Vanguard.

P.S. WoW looks like a PS2 game on a 320x320 TV. I'm still amazed people play it.