Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-04-06, 07:09 PM   #1
jmmckenna

Default BIOS help with GeForce4 440 Go

I recently bought a new GeForce4 440 Go w/ 64Mb off eBay for my Inspiron 8200. I installed the thing no problem and on the first boot up it worked great. Stupid me, I saw that there was a BIOS upgrade for this on the Dell site so I applied it. Everything looked like it worked during the upgrade but when I rebooted the vide was all messed up. I could still get into Windows but there is speckling on the screen. I've tried multiple times to re-apply the BIOS and it always looks like it works but no go. I want to try using NVFlash rather than the Dell BIOS flash to update the BIOS but NVFlash requires the actual ROM file to perform the upgrade which I don't have. I only have the EXE files off the Dell site.

Anyone have any ideas on how to recover from this or am I just screwed? If anybody out there has this card and wants to send me their ROM file I would appreciate it. I know how to get a copy of the ROM file using NVFlash.
jmmckenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-06, 08:05 PM   #2
gytbz

Unhappy Re: BIOS help with GeForce4 440 Go

Hi,
I have encountered the same problem without success to solve it yet .
By chance I could replace the video card and have access to both near trash video card and also a good one not bios "updated" .
As far as know recent card have C2 bios revisin and A06NV17 is only C1.
Please indicate what you know about retrieving a rom dump and I will be happy to send mine.
Cheers,
gytbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-06, 08:54 AM   #3
jmmckenna

Default Re: BIOS help with GeForce4 440 Go

Thanks for offering to help me out. First you'll need to download the nvflash program. You can find it here: http://www.softpedia.com/progDownloa...oad-16133.html

Here are the instructions.

1. Create a bootable floppy disk. I believe that windows xp will automatically create a bootable floppy if you select that option when formatting the disk.

2. Copy the nvflash files onto the floppy.

3. With the video card installed in the laptop (this is the GeForce4 440 Go 64mb version) reboot the laptop with the floppy in the a: drive.

4. Once the computer is booted into dos at the a:\ prompt type “nvflash.exe --save bios.rom” (the actual name you choose for the rom file doesn’t really matter, I’m just using this as an example. This will copy the bios file from the video card onto the floppy drive. Once you’ve done that you can just reboot and e-mail me the .rom file.

5. If you want to try to copy the good BIOS onto your bad card you'll need to reboot with the floppy in and the bad card installed. Then, at the A:\ prompt type "nvflash bios.rom" or whatever you named the bios file. This should flash the bios using the copy you got from the good card.

If you want to see all of the other available commands with nvflash you can do just type “nvflash.exe /?”. I hope this works. It’s kind of my last ditch effort to salvage this card. I really do appreciate you doing this for me.

Last edited by jmmckenna; 06-29-06 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-30-06, 11:13 AM   #4
gytbz

You can retrieve hereafter with the attached file the latest ROM for NVidia 440 Go 64 MB for Dell Inspiron 8200.
I've just retrieved the dell floppy disk A06NV17 and updated it with nvflash536 and valid rom file called 04170055.rom
Note that there is no warranty except I checked it toward some different video cards all NVidia 440Go 64MB and some different Dell notebooks.
The complete explanation is that the Dell "update" is not check neither Flash type neither Chip type and overriding is scripted. The only checking is RAM amount 32 or 64MB.
Sorry to been so long.
Cheers,
Attached Files
File Type: zip 04170055.ROM.zip (36.9 KB, 1276 views)
Old 06-30-06, 07:55 PM   #5
jmmckenna

Just curious, did you try to fix your bad card using nvflash.exe? Before I rip apart my laptop again to start swapping out cards and flashing them I was wondering if you had success?
Old 07-03-06, 01:26 PM   #6
gytbz

Hi, YES I tested it and checked it again and it was a MIRIFIC success.
But just to be honest it was just flashing the bios of the NVidia card therefore I'm probably not a hero ;-)))
Cheers
Old 07-03-06, 01:58 PM   #7
mr_luke

Since were on the topic of the Geforce4 440 Go...
I purchased one from ebay as well (64mb version). After installing the card in to my Inspiron 8200, the image on the screen was littered with random flashing characters and blocks. Luckily I could still read the text within the BIOS setup, and I noticed that the BIOS recognized the card as a Geforce4 440 Go 64mb.
I flashed the video card's BIOS with the latest update from Dell's website, and while that corrected my problem with the flashing characters and blocks, the card now thinks it's a 32mb card instead of a 64mb (shown in BIOS and windows)

I've tried everything that's listed here, including using NVFlash to reprogram the card with the .rom file listed above, and the card still thinks it's 32mb. I even tweaked the .rom file with X-bios editor, and still no luck.
I know this is a 64mb card because the sysid.com program on the Dell Bios update diskette recgonizes it as such, and the card has the Infineon memory chips on it, compared to the Samsung chips on my 'dead' 32mb Geforce4 440 Go that I have.
Does anyone have any ideas/tips/tricks to help me get this card to recgonize its memory correctly again? I'm not THAT terribly upset that it doesn't work correctly as I can at least play UT2004 now, but I hate knowing that something isn't performing up to it's full potential.
Thanks!!
mr_luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-06, 07:31 PM   #8
jmmckenna

I tried flashing the BIOS on my bad card and still no go. I'm giving up now, spent too much time on this one already and I think I've tried all avenues. Thanks to for all your help!

Old 07-04-06, 09:39 PM   #9
rusty505

Has anyone had any luck installing this card on an Inspiron 8100? I'm having all the same problems...was working ok UNTIL i of course went to Dell's website and flashed the bios with the one intended for the 8200. now getting the speckled screen. I was real excited to see this possible solution, so tried flashing it with the posted .rom file, but i get an error message saying incorrect configuration or something. does anyone have the original .rom file that comes on this card? or one that might work on an 8100? i've tried flashing the bios with past versions on dell's website but the problem remains...
rusty505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-06, 02:06 PM   #10
mr_luke

I ran in to an error message when I tried flashing with nvflash. It was something along the lines of a PCI subsystem device ID error or something, I can't remember exactly what it was.

There is a way to force nvflash to ignore the error message by using a switch in the command line.

IIRC the line I used was nvflash -6 04170055.rom. The -6 was the switch that would ignore any subsystem device errors. After using that I could continue on with the flash with no problems.
You can get the full list of the command switches if you just type nvflash at the command prompt. It will give you 3 or 4 pages of information pertaining to the program. Just write down the error message it gives you when you flash the card, and then search through those pages for a switch that will fix the problem. That's how I figured out what I needed to do.
mr_luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-06, 10:18 PM   #11
rusty505

yep you were right...i shouldve explored further. It worked and the new card is working out great! thanks a ton for saving me from spending another $100...and thanks again
rusty505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-06, 07:42 PM   #12
DRDRJAY1

Question Re: BIOS help with GeForce4 440 Go

Aloha,
I read all your messages with great interest because I also bought the GeForce4 440 from the eBay web site for my Inspiron 8100 with its WUXGA screen. I also made the 'mistake' of flashing the bios with A06nv17.exe from the Dell Website, which produced spots all over the screen and I had to remove the GeForce4 and put the GeForce2 Go back in. So, this afternoon after work, the Dell on site tech is coming over and we will try your reccomended rom file using Nvflash. The A06nv17.exe is supposed to have both C1 and C2 on it, so I don't understand why it's producing a problem.

What none of you has mentioned is: what software driver version you are using? Is it R58746.exe off the Dell Website? Or...after a long discussion with Dell Tech the other night, they reccomended the latest drivers off the Nvidia Website, Version 91.31, which can be found at: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_91.31.html. Which do you reccomend?

I've also been told I need to not only uninstall the old software using add/remove programs, but also use device manager to remove the GeForce2 Go display adapter. Is that the correct thing to do?
Thanks for your response (s)

Jay

Kailua-Kona, Hawai'i
August 29, 2006
DRDRJAY1 is offline   Reply With Quote