Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-27-07, 02:29 PM   #25
Xion X2

Default Re: Good MMORPG to start for n00bs ?

Ninja, I get the feeling you're being awfully defensive about this, and you don't need to be. I already said that I like this game a lot; I'm just pointing out some things about it that have jumped out at me so far as being different from what I'm used to w/ Vanguard. Heck, I even said I've gotten a laugh out of a lot of the stuff that's happened. If you'll look in this forum, I've posted a lengthy summation about the game on the WoW thread on which I praise the game on many levels. The only thing that's really, truly bothered me about it so far is the kiddie-speak which, based on the actions I've seen from many so far, does stem from an overall less mature audience than what you'd see on Vanguard.

Have you even played Vanguard so that you can get a proper perspective on this?

Anyway, I think WoW is a very good game and am about 40-45 hrs into it already, so I've seen a good bit of what it has to offer so far. I've grouped with lots of people and seen the way they act/talk plenty of times. Perhaps things get a lot different once you join a guild and spend the majority of time with them instead of random people. If so, great. If not, then I'll endure it, because I still like the game a lot.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-07, 02:37 PM   #26
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Not being defensive. The impression you're giving is that you are judging the game's merits based on what are frankly cliche obnoxious players that you won't see much of once you level up. I thought putting it in perspective might help you enjoy it more. You obviously completely ignored my entire previous post regarding your issue with "kiddie speak", so I won't bother going over that again.

I said absolutely nothing about Vanguard other than relating what you and Tyger have impressed upon me about it so I don't see how me having any experience with it relates to my posts.

I've played my main character in WoW for over 2400 hours and I can tell you that what you are experiencing is indeed a danger of "PUGing" (running with a pick-up group). Pugs are universally abhorred by decent players in WoW for the exact reasons you're stating. Don't worry, finding a good guild is not a matter of luck, it's a matter of time.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-07, 02:56 PM   #27
Xion X2

*shakes head*

Somehow I just knew this would turn into a pissing contest.

Ninja--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
Not being defensive. The impression you're giving is that you are judging the game's merits based on what are frankly cliche obnoxious players that you won't see much of once you level up.
Look around you. I am not the only person who has mentioned a less mature audience on WoW. Pretty much everyone I have spoken with about the game in comparison to other MMOs agrees with that, mainly because the gameplay is on an easier level than other MMOs. So the "impression" I get from you, since you are outright blatantly ignoring this fact for 3(?) straight posts now, is that you're a tad overdefensive and just don't want to see anyone talk bad about the game. I hate to say it, but you're beginning to border on "fanboy" status here.

Quote:
You obviously completely ignored my entire previous post regarding your issue with "kiddie speak", so I won't bother going over that again.
No, I didn't. You obviously need to comprehend better. I stated very specifically right here what I thought about your explanation of that:

"And I was never basing my "immature" comment on speak alone, anyway. Aside from the "buttsex" guy/girl, there have been lots of people who never bother to say one word to me or introduce themselves or anything and send me a group invitation all of a sudden. On Vanguard, characters will walk up to you and wave or bow and ask you if you'd like to group first. They don't do that as often on WoW.

Something else, too, is I'm playing as a chick Night Elf and getting hit on by guys left and right. One Night Elf dude was flirting with me, and his pal standing next to him told him "Dude, you can't seduce her like that." Another girl character I ran into stripped naked in front of me and started dancing in nothing but a bra and panties. No lie.

Although I never played as a chick on Vanguard, I find it hard to believe things like that would've happened as often as it has on WoW so far. And while both were funny at the time (especially for the fact that I'm a guy in real life), it only goes to show that the age group/maturity level on WoW is leagues behind what is on Vanguard."

If you can't take that evidence to heart and admit that it bolsters the point I was trying to make, then it's not my problem. It's yours.

Whether or not you want to admit it, that kind of dumbed-down language DOES, more often than not, apply to a less mature audience. Especially when it's backed up by immature acts like I've seen on the game so far that I've given several examples of. That was the entire point.

Quote:
I said absolutely nothing about Vanguard other than relating what you and Tyger have impressed upon me about it so I don't see how me having any experience with it relates to my posts.
Because you keep arguing so strongly any time I suggest that WoW has a less mature audience, that's why. If you had played another MMO aside from WoW--primarily Vanguard, since that's the one I'm comparing it with the most--then it would give you something to compare it with or that extra "perspective" I was talking about.

Quote:
I've played my main character in WoW for over 2400 hours and I can tell you that what you are experiencing is indeed a danger of "PUGing" (running with a pick-up group). Pugs are universally abhorred by decent players in WoW for the exact reasons you're stating. Don't worry, finding a good guild is not a matter of luck, it's a matter of time.
And that's all fine. Once again, I said just in my last post that that very well may change and I'm fine with it. Since it's what I'm used to on Vanguard, I'd much rather find a more mature audience to group with. In Vanguard, it's sort of the same way just not quite as bad.

Still, again.. I like the game and even suggested to SH64 that it should probably be the first one he tries. You can pick it up for 19.99 with a free 30-day subscription fee. Not a lot of risk involved in that.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 03-27-07, 03:09 PM   #28
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

How anything I've said "borders on fanboyism" escapes me. You're imagining things if you think I've compared WoW to Vanguard at any point in this thread, other than offering an explanation (which I've admitted was based on vicarious knowledge of the game) for comparisons YOU have brought up.

Anything I've said about WoW was intended as friendly advice to newcomers to the game. The only defensive posture I've taken in this thread is in support of those who use "kiddie speak" that you continue to deride. I offered a reasonable, rational explanation for it which you completely ignored and continued on to act dismissive to those kinds of people. I was defensive in that regard because I can't stand people who act like they're better than other people for stupid little reasons like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
Whether or not you want to admit it, that kind of dumbed-down language DOES, more often than not, apply to a less mature audience.
I already explained why this is a baseless, flawed assumption. It is completely untrue and is simply your point of view, which is obviously skewed to view yourself in an excessively favorable light.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 03-27-07, 03:29 PM   #29
Xion X2

Am I talking to myself? I mean, really.. am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
You're imagining things if you think I've compared WoW to Vanguard at any point in this thread, other than offering an explanation (which I've admitted was based on vicarious knowledge of the game) for comparisons YOU have brought up.

Ninja, when, in this thread, have I ever said you were making a comparison between WoW and Vanguard?

???

What I said, was if you HAD PLAYED VANGUARD, then you would KNOW BETTER the point I am trying to make about it having a more mature audience than WoW.

Are you following me here?

Quote:
The only defensive posture I've taken in this thread is in support of those who use "kiddie speak" that you continue to deride. I offered a reasonable, rational explanation for it which you completely ignored and continued on to act dismissive to those kinds of people. I was defensive in that regard because I can't stand people who act like they're better than other people for stupid little reasons like that.
For gods sake...

Ninja, I have nothing further to say to you if you cannot at least admit that, in general, less mature people spell words and phrases like:

"wen r u goin 2 do that qst?"

than words and phrases like:

"when are you going to do that quest?"

I am not saying it happens EVERY TIME. But it does happen MUCH OF THE TIME. And the fact that it has happened along with all of the instances I provided you with earlier is very strong evidence that there is more to this "immature audience" thing than you want to admit.

I never see people talk this way on Vanguard, and I've never had a character flirt with me or strip naked in front of me and dance either.

Your lack of common sense on this issue is really starting to wear thin with me. I can understand your enthusiasm for this game, but you have gone off the deep end if you cannot see where I am coming from here.

Quote:
I already explained why this is a baseless, flawed assumption. It is completely untrue and is simply your point of view, which is obviously skewed to view yourself in an excessively favorable light.
That's complete bull#*O!, so you just need to back off right now. It's got nothing to do with putting myself above others; in fact, "immaturity" doesn't depict anything negative at all if it involves a bunch of 13 y/o kids. It's just their current status in life. If there's anyone who's trying to turn this into an issue of complexes, it is you my friend.

So just drop the crap right now.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 03-27-07, 03:33 PM   #30
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Dude relax, it's OK.

L2P.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 03-27-07, 06:51 PM   #31
NrGx
Formerly NrG

Woah...heated.

I reckon Xion, if you want a more mature audience play on Roleplaying servers. They have an older gamebase.

As for the kiddies, they ge bored around level 30 and start a new char. On my three 60+ characters, I have never expereinced that. Generally at level 70 instances, I find the crowd too serious and sometimes I feel that ruins the game too. Hence, a guild really does help alleviate these problems. Playing with friends is another very good part of WoW.

Let's pvp or instance sometime?

Niphendris Level 70 Druid Barthilas
Crysil Level 66 Paladin Barthilas (main char atm)
Lamente Level 60 Warlock Cenarius (pvp char)
2 x 512mb Corsair VS @ DDR434
Seagate 250GB 7200.10 + Maxtor Maxline 80GB
Thermaltake Armor (modded)
CM eXtreme 650W SLI (12V+ @ 36A)
Aquagate LCS + CM Copper waterblock
Viewsonic VX2235WM 22" LCD 5ms

P4 2.26B OC
A64 X2 4200+ OC

3DMARK06: 4759
NrGx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-07, 06:55 PM   #32
Xion X2

Sounds good, NrGx. Thanks for the input.

I'm on Bonechewer, but I just started this past weekend so I'm only level 9 right now. Name's Leastra, and I'm a rogue.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz

Old 03-28-07, 09:16 AM   #33
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
Sounds good, NrGx. Thanks for the input.
LOL, are you serious? That's exactly what I told you on the last page and you wrote me long-winded vicious responses accusing me of being a fanboy...

CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 03-28-07, 10:00 AM   #34
Xion X2

My response was in relation to his offer to instance with me, you nimrod. And instead of stubbornly debating me on the overall maturity level of the game, he admitted to it but said in the later levels it wears off because a lot of them don't have the dedication to keep going and quit before then. I can see that happening.

You, on the other hand, just wanted to be a stubborn @!*~@ and debate any point I brought up about it--no matter how much proof I offered for it. You, on the other hand, are a "fanboy" that has trouble admitting anything is wrong with the game. That's obvious from your actions here and towards anyone who has an objection about it, such as Hambone did above and anyone else I've seen critique this game. Instead of focusing on the facts, you take it personally and want to defend it at every turn. And that's the difference between you and NrGx and the reason that I responded like I did.

So why don't you just *#!( off? Eh? If you have any personal problem with me then discuss it in PM and spare the rest of the board from your drivel.

And nice emoticon. It represents you perfectly.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 04-09-07, 02:44 AM   #35
WarGhSt

Bleh posted and realized how old the thread was. Nevermind. : )
WarGhSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 09:14 AM   #36
lognoronon

Well after all is said and done I ended up going back to EQ1 AGAIN!!. It's still by far the best MMO out there as Vanguard was a let down for me. I know some will say WTF to that but after trying out pretty much every MMO for at least a little while that is the conclusion I have come to.

Cooler Master Storm Trooper case
Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3
I7-2600k
8 Gig of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
EVGA GTX 560 TI
Lite On 20x DVD +- RW
WD 160 gig 7200 rpm hd
WD 750 gig 7200 rpm hd
Logitech G15 Keyboard
Razer Naga mouse
Corsair GS700
LG 22" L226WTQ