Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-14-07, 05:23 PM   #1
=JeffH

Default spontaneous large fonts with nvidia 1.0-9755 on GeForce Go 7400

[fwiw, I'm a linux n00b]

I installed the nvidia 1.0-9755 driver on my ubuntu 6.10 system, in the search for dual head (aka dual monitors/second monitor/external monitor) functionality. But in the process, once X was restarted and all, and across all reboots save one, my desktop has come up featuring horribly (for me) large fonts, eg 18pt in appearance, even tho "Kde system settings -> appearance -> fonts" reports that I have all fonts set to 7pt.

I futzed around with "NVIDIA X Server Settings", ensuring that the monitor was properly set to 1920x1200 etc. and rebooted or restarted X several times. Once, it returned to normal-appearing font sizes, eg 7pt looked like 7pt, and my window sizes weren't messed up and all, as it is with the spontaneous large fonts.

I ran nvidia-bug-report.sh, and nvidia-bug-report.log is attached. Any thoughs on how to resolve this are appreciated. I searched through the forums here, but didn't manage to turn up this particular problem.

thanks,
=JeffH
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (125.6 KB, 169 views)
=JeffH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-07, 05:34 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: spontaneous large fonts with nvidia 1.0-9755 on GeForce Go 7400

According to your bug report your DPI is set to (147, 145), which would certainly explain the huge fonts. I'd suggest seeing the driver README's discussion of DPI.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-07, 06:58 PM   #3
=JeffH

> According to your bug report your DPI is set
> to (147, 145), which would certainly explain
> the huge fonts.

ah ha. yep, thanks.

> I'd suggest seeing the driver README's discussion of DPI.

ok, done.

what I hadn't put in my orig description was that I was also futzing around with an external monitor, a Dell 2407WFP, which is very much physically larger than the builtin LCD on the lapstation.

So I'd been messing around with trying to get nvidia-settings to set things up such that, using twinview, I could switch back & forth between the builtin LCD and the external monitor.

I believe the huge font thing showed up after I'd disconnected the external monitor and was still playing with nvidia-settings.

Anyway, since my xorg.conf file doesn't at this time say squat about DPI, and /var/log/Xorg.0.log reports..

(--) NVIDIA(0): DPI set to (147, 145); computed from "UseEdidDpi" X config

..I'm wondering if somehow the EDID info from the larger external monitor somehow got cached locally and the NVIDIA driver is somehow picking it up at init time?

Perhaps my xorg.conf file should disallow use of EDID
info?

and I'm still trying to figure out how to use an external monitor, but will post that in a different thread.

thanks,
=JeffH
Old 03-15-07, 12:42 PM   #4
=JeffH

Hi, fwiw, I am quite interested in your thoughts on the two questions posed in my prior post, especially the first. Thoughts?

In terms of actually fixing this problem, from playing with nvidia-settings and looking into nvidia-xconfig, and reading the driver README (http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...ME/index.html), it seems to me that I'll need to..

1. hand-configure an xorg.conf wrt DPI (at least) since nvidia-xconfig apparently doesn't address that (eg Option "UseEDIDDpi" "FALSE").

2. perhaps then use nvidia-settings + nvidia-xconfig to further config the xorg.conf file, or just do it all by hand.

yes?

thanks,
=JeffH
Old 03-15-07, 12:47 PM   #5
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

The only thing you should need to do is add the DPI option. Per the driver README:
Option "DPI" "string"

This option specifies the Dots Per Inch for the X screen; for example:

Option "DPI" "75 x 85"

will set the horizontal DPI to 75 and the vertical DPI to 85. By default,
the X driver will compute the DPI of the X screen from the EDID of any
connected display devices. See Appendix Y for details. Default: string is
NULL (disabled).
Old 03-15-07, 03:50 PM   #6
=JeffH

ah ha, thanks. I note that..

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...ppendix-y.html

..also says..

> If the "DPI" X configuration option is specified (see Appendix D, X
> Config Options for details), that will be used to set the DPI. This
> will override the "UseEdidDpi" option.

thanks,

=JeffH
Old 03-15-07, 04:23 PM   #7
=JeffH

Well, I just did some homework wrt my local lcd display here, and the dpi of 147x145 is correct -- the physical screen dimensions are: 1920x1200 pixels (332x210 millimeters).

So perhaps something other than errornous DIP info is causing the huge font problem?

thanks,

=JeffH
Old 03-15-07, 06:04 PM   #8
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Does setting the DPI option have any impact?

Old 03-15-07, 08:05 PM   #9
=JeffH

Alrightie, I tracked it down, thanks for your patience

So the deal is that somehow, when I was futzing around with my displays and all, my X defaults / X resources got hosed, and font settings got set kinda big, but it wasn't being necessarily reflected in "system settings" / KControl. Also I commented out the the fontpaths in xorg.conf that have ":unscaled" in them (I dunno if that made any difference).

Anyway, in Kcontrol once I changed the font settings from what it was (e.g. 8pt for all) to 6 pt for all, and applied it, a bunch of the windows changed, but not all, and not all subwindows/widgets within windows.

So gradually I began to recall how X-based systems work wrt X resources, and went nosing around for X defaults files, and then realized that I have both gnome & kde, and some of the gnome stuff might be particular to gnome, logged out and back into gnome, set up font prefs there to match that in KDE settings, and then went back over to KDE, and forced fonts DPI to be 120, and made GTK fonts (a Kcontrol->appearance->GTK Sytles and fonts item) "use another font" that matched my kde settings, and logged out and shut down X, and restarted X, and then everything is essentially fine....

...except that the file subwindow in gedit is using a font bigger than I want and I suspect that it has an X resource that wasn't tweaked by the above contortions, but this isn't the forum (I believe) approp for tracking that down...

anyway, am happier and system is more usable.

thanks,

=JeffH