Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-15-07, 03:51 AM   #1
Pepse

Default RE: Sticky "Installing NFORCE Drivers".

Just to make sure I understand the sticky by Netlama, the driver I would be installing is for the nVidia Nforce 570 SLI chipset on a Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 motherboard? The problem I have is I picked up a high dollar computer for a friend who wanted Win XP and Linux on it and I was only able to install XP. Mandriva Linux 2007 would not even attempt to load. The kernel is 2.6.17. And according to Gigabyte, nVidia would possibly have any patches I would need to get the motherboard to accept Mandriva Linux. So, there might be another problem. How would I install any type of driver if I can't even install Linux?? And if that ain't the right driver point me to the right one.

Later. Pepse.
Pepse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-07, 07:34 AM   #2
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

Default Re: Sticky "Installing NFORCE Drivers".

You could try installing FC6 (Fedora Core 6). I run FC5, and it installed just fine on my ASUS Crosshair.. It has the Nvidia 590 SLI Chipset, no driver required as it comes standard in the later Kernels.

http://fedora.redhat.com/

Wolf
Wolfman [TWP] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-07, 12:24 PM   #3
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Pepse,
I'm not sure what you mean by "Mandriva Linux 2007 would not even attempt to load". Any Linux distribution released in the past year should normally be capable of installing on currently available hardware.

However, for full chipset support, you need a distro with a recent kernel. 2.6.17 is fairly old at this point.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-07, 02:51 PM   #4
Pepse

Netlama, Mandriva 2007 is a fairly recent distro, true, the Kernel is 2.6.17, but I didn't realize that that wasn't a good Kernel. This distro was just released within the past 2? months. As for Not loading what happens when I put the DVD in and reboot to start the loading all it does is it has a small screen that says "loading Linux" then the screen goes black and the DVD shuts down. I had tried to load it several times with the same results. I have left it go like that for a couple minutes and still nothing. There is nothing wrong with the DVD as I have put Mandriva 2007 on 2 other hard drives using my Gigabyte 7VM400M-RZ motherboard as well as a 5 year old Hewlett Packard computer. This is the PowerPack version not the cheap download distro. Also, just for the heck of it, I tried to load my older MDV 2006 Powerpack with Kernel 2.6.12-12MDK and although it loaded up OK, when I rebooted the computer it froze about halfway through the boot.

Just for the record this Mandriva distro is for the X64 AMD boards as well as the 32 bit.

Pepse.
Old 03-15-07, 03:03 PM   #5
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

The problem that you've described sounds like a kernel/BIOS bug, not an NFORCE/chipset driver issue. You need to report this to Mandriva.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-07, 02:19 AM   #6
Pepse

Normally I would have done that first but I figured the problem to be BIOS related and that Gigabyte could shed some light on it. But, of course they suggested to go here. One last thing. Do you think there might be an issue because of an ATI 256MB PCI-E card? I know that Linux boxes run better with nVidia video cards, so I was thinking that there may be an issue here, especially because of the nVidia Chipset.

Later. Pepse.