Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-18-07, 06:49 PM   #25
evilghost

Default Re: First time Linux user... drivers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [eNv]-LORD-eX-Bu
I'm still working my way around it but I like it alot. I've always wanted to use Linux but I thought it'd be too hard, glad I was wrong
Yeah, the hardest part for me was figuring out the Win32 way to do things in Linux...
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 06:55 PM   #26
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilghost
Yeah, the hardest part for me was figuring out the Win32 way to do things in Linux...

I'm having my own fun, but loving doing it. This FF 2.0.0.2 is really pissing me off, both linux and win. Constant crashes so I just downloaded Opera.

Btw, Glad your liking it [env]. Way you took to it I'm adding you to my list of people to baother when I need help.

EDIT: Opera is FAST> me likes.
Old 03-27-07, 07:36 AM   #27
Valheru

Quote:
Don't. The command line is there for a reason. Learn to actually USE your operating system.
When making the switch from Windows to Linux, the biggest obstacle is overcoming the paradigm shift that Microsoft introduced - the notion that there is nothing but a graphical environment in which the user is forced to operate. The command line is a lot more flexible and powerful than a pure graphical environment could ever possibly be. My advice is not to neuter yourself by clinging to broken, useless notions of how an operating system should work introduced by a group of amateurs who ignored the rules.
Valheru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-07, 08:10 AM   #28
evilghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valheru
Don't. The command line is there for a reason. Learn to actually USE your operating system.
When making the switch from Windows to Linux, the biggest obstacle is overcoming the paradigm shift that Microsoft introduced - the notion that there is nothing but a graphical environment in which the user is forced to operate. The command line is a lot more flexible and powerful than a pure graphical environment could ever possibly be. My advice is not to neuter yourself by clinging to broken, useless notions of how an operating system should work introduced by a group of amateurs who ignored the rules.
I guess I should have prefaced it with applications, IE, using Kino to author family DVDs, or using GnomeBaker or k3b in place of Nero, etc. I've always preferred the Linux console even back in the RH 5.2 days but I'll say Gnome has certainly evolved to the point that I prefer it over KDE. Finding the Linux alternative to the Win32 programs were the most difficult.
Old 03-28-07, 09:55 AM   #29
Valheru

Heh, if you're talking applications then it can sometimes be hard to find one that is exactly like you're looking for. Normally I tend to find that there are too many alternatives - for every Win32 application that I use there's normally at least two or three that you can use in Linux. The only thing I really miss is a decent binary newsgroup downloader, but then again I am busy writing one so klibido will tide me over until I'm in beta. That, and the fact that NVIDIA SDK and the cool applications for game devving are only released as Win32 binaries is the only thing (besides games of course) that stop me ditching Windows for good

BTW I like my XBOX
Valheru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 10:17 PM   #30
Redeemed

Wow, I thought this thread died.

Since my rig is down and I'm using the rig I built for my GF (thank God she doesn't need it right now), I haven't tinkered with Kubuntu at all.

I just sent the mobo for my rig back to Newegg today. They should have it by Friday, and I should have the replacement by next Friday at the latest. Once I get my rig up and running, I'll start fiddling with Kubuntu again.

Valheru, you are probably right, I think I've become lazy and just prefer doing things within the GUI.

Part of the problem is the only command prompt I'm accustumed to is DOS, that is what I started on. I'm sure I'll figure out this whole Linux command prompt (or whatever it is called) soon enough.

I'll try to figure out the command prompt. You guys talk like it is really easy- I should have no problem figuring it out I assume.

Thanks for all your help. And evilghost, I'll probably be sending you some PM's once I get my rig back up and running.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 10:19 PM   #31
evilghost

PM away, I'm always glad to help. I prefer the command-line over the GUI, heck, I run BitchX connected to Bitlbee over an SSH tunnel for my IM client.
Old 03-28-07, 10:27 PM   #32
Redeemed

Quote:
PM away, I'm always glad to help. I prefer the command-line over the GUI, heck, I run BitchX connected to Bitlbee over an SSH tunnel for my IM client.

You completely lost me where I bolded the text.

But yeah, I'll be PM'ing you. That command prompt is kind of confusing. I'm wanting to type in DOS commands, but obviously that doesn't work too well.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote