Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-20-07, 08:54 PM   #13
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Please help test the GeForce 8 "nv" driver.

OrqwithVagrant,
Thanks for testing. You're using a graphical console, right? Failure to restore vesafb consoles on 64-bit systems is a known bug in X prior to xorg-server-1.2.0 (X.org 7.2). I'm afraid I can't really support switching between the nvidia and nv drivers without a reboot.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-07, 09:27 PM   #14
arito

Hello!

My name is Ari Torhamo and I'm offering my help to test the nv driver. Basically I'm more or less a regular user without much OS expertise - I don't program and my skills at the command line are limited. What led me here is that I couldn't get my Ubuntu installation to work with my Leadtek GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB graphics card properly.

I'm using Ubuntu Feisty (the developement version) with the latest updates. The installation is just a couple of days old and I haven't installed any graphics packages on top of the defaults. The driver in use is vesa, because the version of nv available in Ubuntu, 1.2.2.1, obviously doesn't support my card.

I already downloaded your 2.0.0 driver and tried to proceed along the instructios you gave. I faced a problem right in the beginning. After downloading and extracting the package I did

./configure --prefix=/usr && make install

and got

checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... no
checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnulibc1
checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnulibc1
checking for style of include used by make... GNU
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name...
configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

The log file is included as an attachement.

I'm sure you are busy with the developement work and I hope it's not too much trouble for you to assist me with the driver installation. Ofcourse anyone else here who understands the problem is welcome to help. Thanks :-)
Attached Files
File Type: log config.log (7.7 KB, 102 views)
arito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-07, 10:30 PM   #15
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Hi arito,
Here's your error:
Quote:
configure:3076: gcc conftest.c >&5
/usr/bin/ld: crt1.o: No such file: No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
It seems odd that you have gcc but not crt1.o. I'm no Ubuntu guru, but I think you may need to install the "build-essential" package.
Old 03-20-07, 10:49 PM   #16
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Please also make sure you have the libc6-dev package installed.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 12:29 AM   #17
arito

OK, im in the game now - driver installed and working. Had to scratch my head for a while, because many of the packages that installer told are missing are just named differently in Ubuntu. For example "fonts-proto" (if I remember this name right from the installation) is x11proto-fonts-dev, etc. But Google is your friend :-)

At least for the first ten minutes everything seems to be working fine. Is there anything special I should do now to test the driver? Is there a some kind of suggested testing procedure, or something, or shall I just do things that I normally do with my computer and report the problems I find - or lack of them?

I forgot to tell that my monitor isn't exactly something that one would imagine to stretch the driver to it's limits - a 17'' CRT :-) You see, I'm in the middle of upgrading my system and I already have bought the new graphics card - a GeForce 8800 obviously - but I'm still looking for a monitor that suits me best. Does this unbalanced configuration of hardware limit the value of my input? Should I hurry my search for a new monitor? :-)
Old 03-21-07, 12:57 AM   #18
_john_i_
gtx260/8200M G/DIY Linux

Aaron,

This is slightly off-topic, but it does deal with the "nv" driver.

For some reason, the "nv" driver does not support DVI modes over what the VESA BIOS reports as available at boot. When connected to the DVI port, it basically locks down the card at the lower resolutions (MAX 1280x1024 I believe). If I connect it to VGA it works fine at the monitor's full resolution (1600x1200).

The "nvidia" driver seems to know how to get the higher resolution when connected to DVI.

Do you know why this is? Is it something that can be fixed in the nv driver without giving out proprietary information?

Hopefully you will forgive my diversion in your geforce 8 testing thread.

Thanks,

John Morris
_john_i_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 04:02 AM   #19
derbuffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrqwithVagrant
EDIT: Small addendum - console went black when exiting out of X. Fortunately, I'd edited my xorg.conf beforehand, and typing "startx" blind brought me back into X with the closed driver. Ctrl-Fx-ing now gives a readable console but with horisontal lines of random "noise".
Hi OrqwithVagrant

Use the kernel parameter "vga=normal" in your bootmanager. This should fix the black-screen-problem.
derbuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 02:38 PM   #20
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

@arito:
Good things to exercise, in addition to just doing what you normally do, are switching modes, using xrandr, VT switches, and running multiple X servers on different VTs.

@_john_i_:
I'm afraid that's not something I can fix for pre-GeForce 8 series cards. The GeForce 8 support doesn't have that limitation.

Old 03-21-07, 05:49 PM   #21
cestuila

Hello !
NV driver works fine for me.
Kubuntu feisty "current"+8800gtx
Attached Files
File Type: log Xorg.0.log (46.0 KB, 122 views)
cestuila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-07, 12:27 AM   #22
arito

Hi!

I'm sorry that it took so long for me to reply, but for some reason I didn't get any notification to my mailbox about the new messages to this thread (I used to get one for every message earlier).

What I have to say is mostly positive. Switching forth and back between VTs (had to google to find out what VT means :-) seems to be no problem for the driver. The funny thing is that it didn't work before I installed this driver. There was a bug in my system (perhaps in the vesa driver, which I was forced to use) which made the system hang showing an empty black screen always when I tried to switch from GDM to VT.

No problems with jumping between different resolutions and refresh rates either.

There's room for improvement too. I don't know if this is about the display driver or the window manager, but when I move a window quickly around on top of another, the moving window leaves a trail behind it as if my graphics card wasn't fast enough. The phenomenon is not really bad, but it's clearly noticeable. Strangely this behaviour depends on what program the window belongs to. All windows move without trail on top of the plain desktop (only the desktop wallpaper behind them), as they do on top of a maximized Terminal window. On top of a maximized browser window, other windows leave a trail which consists of narrow strips of the escaping edge of the moving window. When I put Gedit (the Gnome text editor) as a maximized backround window on the other hand, the behaviour changes again. There's a trail, but this time it's all white (again it's the same with all different type of windows I moved above gedit). Putting Evolution as a background brings back the trailing strips. As I said, I don't know if this has anything to do with the driver, but I thougt I report it to be sure.

One last thing. I watched a HD video (1080i) with totem xine and it didn't play smoothly (I don't know if it even should even with a GeForce GTS 320MB). Last time when I watched the video in question I had a GeForce 7900 GTO, so my gear has changed. When I played the video with my old gear (and a different driver - propably proprietary Nvidia one, but I'm not sure), some parts of it played nearly flawlessly and other parts slowed down so much that justa a still picture every second or two was shown. Now with the new driver and the new card, the video played in not so slow slow motion. The interesting part is that the speed was about the same throughout the video. It was slower than the best parts watched with my previous gear, but much faster than the worst parts. Again, perhaps this has nothing to do with the driver.

I didn't look into xrander yet - have to google for it first :-) I have no idea how to run multiple xsevers either, or why anyone would want to. Have to get some sleep now. How busy is the schedule for the testing - how much time do we have?
Old 03-22-07, 02:05 AM   #23
arito

Updated versions of linux-headers and linux-image just became available for Ubuntu Feisty. Is it better not to update to avoid a conflict with the driver, or can I update and then re-install nv 2.0.0, or do something else - or does it matter at all?
Old 03-22-07, 02:49 PM   #24
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Hi arito,
I'm afraid a lot of the performance problems you're seeing are to be expected. The driver can't accelerate the RENDER extension at all, so all of that is rendered in software. Also, the driver cannot support XV so xine must also fall back to software. Just to be sure, those window trails are eventually repainted with the correct pixels and it's just slow, right? If the corruption stays there indefinitely then that's a bug.

The nv driver runs entirely in user space, so upgrading your kernel or kernel headers shouldn't affect it at all. If you upgrade X, though, you will need to recompile the driver if X fails with "ABI mismatch" errors.

Thanks to everyone for trying this out. Clearly I have a lot of stuff to put into the README.