Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-18-07, 04:57 AM   #1
CoolZone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 99
Default What should i do? (help needed)

I want to buy a new computer,and i started to make plans a year ago,when the Conroe core appeared,and accordingly i bought the following:

Ram : 2x1GB Crucial Ballistics Tracer DDR1000
Hdd : Seagate Barracuda 320GB 16MB Cache 7200.10
Video :ATI Radeon X1300 Pro 256MB PCI-E
Power Supply:Corsair HX620W

My initial plan was the following:I wait till april when the discounts appear and then i buy a Q6600 Cpu and a 965P chipset motherboard and with this i can complete my system.
Then i started from January to March to read from several forums that the Bearlake chipset is going to appear in Q3 2007,and the X38 variant will appear in Q4 2007.These will support Yorkfield CPU-s which will be at a 45nm fabrication process.
The problem is,if i want to make an upgrade(i make an upgrade once at 3-4 years),i do not want to be one generation behind even from the beginning when i buy the cpu/mobo.
Also,in Q3, the Q6600 will have the 266$ which is much better.
I saw that even the current c2duos and c2q,with the p35 Bearlake mobo tested,the results are better with 2% than the 965p.

The questions are:
1)Do i have the sell the RAM which i haven't even used yet and wait for DDR3 or should i keep it?
2)Should i buy a motherboard with the 965P chipset series or wait for Bearlake X38 which brings PCI Express 2.0 and FSB 1333?
3)The Q6600 which will be 266$ in Q3 2007 will be 45nm or 65nm?
4)Should i buy the Q6600 in Q3 2007 or wait till January 2008?


With Intel's latest roadmap,my computer upgrade plans are completely screwed.

I told you that i haven't even used the 2x1GB Crucial Ballistics Tracer DDR1000 i have bought because i currently have the following configuration:

CPU:Pentium 4 2.4C Northwood
MOBO:Asus P4P800 SE
Mem:4x512 MB Ram PC3200 Dual Channel
Video:1x6800 Ultra 256MB DDR3
HDD:Seagate Barracuda 320GB 16MB Cache 7200.10

Any advices are very well welcome.
The thing is i want to buy all the components from the US thru a friend,because i am from Europe and all the prices of components here are 30% higher.
CoolZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 05:48 AM   #2
Redeemed
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 17,982
Default Re: What should i do? (help needed)

Judging by the video card you have, would I be wrong to assume that you seldom game on this computer?
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 05:57 AM   #3
CoolZone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 99
Default Re: What should i do? (help needed)

the games work quite ok,i am amazed how well these new games work after 3 years i have bought the video card.
for the new computer i will have first an entry level video card...i want first to have the best technology regarding the cpu/mobo/mem.The video card will be the last thing i will buy,because they evoluate much faster than the cpus.
CoolZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 06:54 AM   #4
Redeemed
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 17,982
Default Re: What should i do? (help needed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolZone
the games work quite ok,i am amazed how well these new games work after 3 years i have bought the video card.
for the new computer i will have first an entry level video card...i want first to have the best technology regarding the cpu/mobo/mem.The video card will be the last thing i will buy,because they evoluate much faster than the cpus.
Ah, I see.

Well, I personally am waiting till Intel drops there prices before I even consider purchasing a quad core. Then again, I might wait till year's end as well for the reasons you mentioned in your first post.

Ultimately, it all boils down to how long you aim on waiting till your next system upgrade. From your first post it sounds as if you are wanting another 3 or 4 years out of this new system. If so, I'd wait till year's end.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 08:36 AM   #5
CoolZone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 99
Default Re: What should i do? (help needed)

thanks for your suggestion.i was thinking the same,but this implies me to keep the power supply,hdd and sell the ram.
CoolZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 01:58 PM   #6
stevemedes
Intel Virgin
 
stevemedes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,716
Send a message via AIM to stevemedes
Default Re: What should i do? (help needed)

If I was you I'd grab a E6600 and Asus P5B Deluxe and rock out!

BTW - That RAM you got is awesome. I love my sticks. 1000mhz 4-4-4 all day.
__________________
Core 2 Duo E6400 | Asus P5B Deluxe w/ Thermalright HR-09 | 4gb Crucial BallistiX Tracer PC2-8000 | eVGA 9800 GTX | Tuniq Tower
2x36gb WD Raptor RAID-0 | 750gb WD SE16 | Samsung SH-S203B | X-Fi XtremeMusic | Corsair VX550
Coolermaster Stacker 832 | Klipsch Promedia 2.1
stevemedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 02:05 PM   #7
a12ctic
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 2,371
Default Re: What should i do? (help needed)

If you plan on waiting, K8L is right around the corner
__________________
AMD X2 5050 AMD Radeon HD 4830 AMD 780G 4GB OCZ DDR2 Antec 300 Fedora 11
a12ctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 02:05 PM   #8
Rytr
SuperMod
 
Rytr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: River City
Posts: 1,726
Default Re: What should i do? (help needed)

I would definitely keep the ram as it is some of the best you can buy with Micron D9 chips. Sell it only if you can at least get your money back. It may be more than you need but that will not hurt anything.
Rytr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-07, 03:41 PM   #9
stevemedes
Intel Virgin
 
stevemedes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,716
Send a message via AIM to stevemedes
Default Re: What should i do? (help needed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a12ctic
If you plan on waiting, K8L is right around the corner
a12ctic has GOT TO BE an AMD employee
__________________
Core 2 Duo E6400 | Asus P5B Deluxe w/ Thermalright HR-09 | 4gb Crucial BallistiX Tracer PC2-8000 | eVGA 9800 GTX | Tuniq Tower
2x36gb WD Raptor RAID-0 | 750gb WD SE16 | Samsung SH-S203B | X-Fi XtremeMusic | Corsair VX550
Coolermaster Stacker 832 | Klipsch Promedia 2.1
stevemedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 05:30 PM   #10
CoolZone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 99
Default Re: What should i do? (help needed)

i can keep the ram if the x38 which only supports ddr3 does not bring improvements over the p35
CoolZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 07:40 PM   #11
Rytr
SuperMod
 
Rytr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: River City
Posts: 1,726
Default Re: What should i do? (help needed)

To have a good system for now and the near future you buy compatible components today. If you wait to buy tommorrow you are missing out.
Rytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-07, 11:39 AM   #12
CoolZone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 99
Default Re: What should i do? (help needed)

i guess i have to make a decision on waiting or buying after i see if ddr3 brings some performance boosts,and how q6600 with Yorkfield core will be better than the current q6600 kentsfield.
CoolZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flame's crypto attack may have needed $200,000 worth of compute power News Archived News Items 0 06-11-12 09:40 PM
9700 Pro OC app. needed PaiN Other Desktop Graphics Cards 5 10-11-02 12:46 PM
NVidia Drivers HowTo for RedHat 8.0 needed eduardp NVIDIA Linux 10 10-04-02 03:59 AM
HD recommendation needed raggie007 General Hardware 12 10-01-02 09:08 PM
Powersupply help needed. Zarich General Hardware 7 09-25-02 01:45 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.