Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-20-07, 10:18 PM   #25
nutcrackr
Super Registered User

Default Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Feedback Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDeadlyxX
Sigh, I rang up my EB today and he said 'yes its in stock to get'... then I went into the store, and he says he has to make a call to the manager, so he does, then he comes back saying 'sorry, cant give them out today, come back tomorrow, for the trouble I'll give you $10 more off'.
Hard luck, my eb guys are nice guys. They often take my word on price matches even when they haven't heard about it before and this time they were selling stalker copies early.

Anyway I've played a little and have had no bugs so far (touch wood), the AI seems pretty good so far both enemy and friendly. Crouch move around corners along with ducking away when reloading. The dogs too when shot go crazy, they might run towards you but when you shoot them a few times they scamper off.

The music is pretty nice very ambient and very atmospheric. There is quite a bit of funny (as in hilarious) dialog, one guy I had to rescue kept say "Is anybody going to rescue me or what" as I was exploring. Initial load time for me was just over 1 minute and since I'm used to BF2 that's nothing, it quick loads in about 10 seconds.

The PDA is quite good, got a lot of information and it keeps a diary of events, it's very well written in english and easy to read. There are a few things here and there that are a bit strange, like how people start panting as soon as they run and how the map works in the pda, mouse wheel zoom seems reversed

Currently playing fine with med details, 1280x1024, static lighting and looking good.
x800pro
amd 3000+ @ 2.2ghz
1gb ddr 400
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-07, 10:56 PM   #26
Mike89
Dude, where's my brain?

Some questions.

Does FSAA work? If so, are there in game options for it (and Aniso) or does it have to be done through the control panel?

How are the controls? Are they mapped like a typical fps like say FEAR or Far Cry?

Can all mouse buttons be mapped?

Can you save anywhere?
I7 3770 @ 4.4 gig (Noctua NH-U14S Heatsink), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 Gigs (2x8) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2, Acer P236H 23" (1920x1080), X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, 2 WD 640 gig SATA HDDs, WD 750 gig HDD (eSata), WD 1TB Black HDD, Sandisk 32 GB ReadyCache SSD, 2 SATA DVD Burners, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 7 Pro x64
Mike89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-07, 11:12 PM   #27
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL
Some stores like to release things early. It isn't officially out here either but people are buying it.

You might want to look around at some stores if you get the chance.
No luck for me today... I still can't believe the Collectors Edition is nowhere to be found. It looked like it was coming to AU, now it's listed as discontinued.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-07, 11:41 PM   #28
Darkoz
lurking

Don't know what I'm doing wrong or whether it's a bug but I can't re-load the game once I get killed.
When you get killed an onscreen message tells you to press space , num 0 to return to main menu, which I do.
But once I'm in the main menu and choose to load the saved game, it won't load, nothing happens.
The only way I can load a saved game is to exit the game then start it up again.
Old 03-20-07, 11:47 PM   #29
Darkoz
lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parts
Im assuming this has starforce?
No, it doesn't use Starforce but I am trying to find out what sort of copy protection it does use.
Old 03-21-07, 12:11 AM   #30
nutcrackr
Super Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike89
Some questions.

Does FSAA work? If so, are there in game options for it (and Aniso) or does it have to be done through the control panel?

How are the controls? Are they mapped like a typical fps like say FEAR or Far Cry?

Can all mouse buttons be mapped?

Can you save anywhere?
AA and AF are in the advanced menu but from what I can see AA only seems to work with static lighting.

Controls seem typical for fps game and can be mapped

I just tried with my 5 button logitech and it only detected 3 of them, source and bf2142 can pick up on the others. In stalkers defense I do not have setpoint installed.

F6 quicksaves
-----

At the moment I am really trying to get settings right. I just had a game of mp and it was ok. We started off in the dark and then it became light as the day progressed, saw some guy get owned by a artifact which lit up the whole area at night.

I can play easily with static light and it looks reasonable. However with dynamic light you get shadows from objects and walls AND you get parallax/bump mapping and what looks to be specular on walls. It really does make for a better experience as walls look so flat with static lighting.

The weather and sound effects are great. You can see the lightning strikes in the distance and you see leaves blow across in front you. You can hear trees creaking, crickets chirping after rain, monster moaning, gun shots and screams in the distance even on mp maps. I tried turning everything up and have to say it's one of the best looking games I've seen.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 12:22 AM   #31
Mike89
Dude, where's my brain?

Quote:
I tried turning everything up and have to say it's one of the best looking games I've seen.
Well if FSAA is not working when going to max settings, I can say it will not be the best looking game I have seen. I can say this without even seeing it (I have it on order) cause FSAA is an absolute MUST for me.

We've had FSAA for how long now? And even now some games are still not using it right (or using it at all). One would think with todays technology, FSAA would be a minimum standard in all games, but sadly it's not. Something's really wrong with that picture. Absolutely unacceptable!
I7 3770 @ 4.4 gig (Noctua NH-U14S Heatsink), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 Gigs (2x8) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2, Acer P236H 23" (1920x1080), X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, 2 WD 640 gig SATA HDDs, WD 750 gig HDD (eSata), WD 1TB Black HDD, Sandisk 32 GB ReadyCache SSD, 2 SATA DVD Burners, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 7 Pro x64
Mike89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 12:26 AM   #32
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Quick notes :

1) NoAA , but the good news it looks ok without it on 1600x1200.

2) Outdoor graphics are ok , the indoors levels however look much better with the use of unified lighting & soft shadows .. same goes for the high quality textures which usually are mixed with parallax mapping

3) The game seems to eat most of the video memroy! (at max settings) i get a heck load of stuttering on my 256MB X800XT which render it unplayable. it sutters less on a 512MB X1900 & once in a while with a 768MB 8800GTX. (& takes ~ 1GB of the main memory).

4) My frametate is ok (~ 35fps avarage) @1600x1200,16xAFHQ. not bad but i thought performance would be better than that.

5) Decent AI! STALKERs do flank , take cover & pretty resistant to your shooting. i'm playing in "Stalker" difficulty & still somewhat hard in general.
i once saw a fellow stalker taking weapon from another dead one! .. it seems that they trade with better weapons.
they use flashlights in night times .. if you hide in bushes you usually become hard to spot until they are too close to you.

6) Radiation sucks. it can be pretty annoying at times as you need speical items to heal it. (vodka or medkits).

7) The game doesnt seem to take advantage from dual core CPUs

8) The dynamic weather system & day/night cycles are awesome!

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-07, 12:40 AM   #33
Jonelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH64
Quick notes :
1) No Quicksavegame or Quickload esp when you know that you gonna need it alot in this kinda hard game.
F6 is Quicksavegame , and F7 Quickload .
Jonelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 12:43 AM   #34
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonelo
F6 is Quicksavegame , and F7 Quickload .
Yep got i! thanks for the tip guys!! .. you made my life alot easier

Old 03-21-07, 12:48 AM   #35
XxDeadlyxX
STALKER!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH64
8) The dynamic weather system & day/night cycles are awesome!
It still holds up after all these years
Main PC [Core i7 980X @ 4.3GHz] [Gigabyte X58A-UD7] [7TB of HDDs] [2x Inno3D GTX 480 SLI @ stock] [12GB Team Xtreem 7-7-7-24 @ 1500mhz] [Antec 1200] [Alienware AW2310 (general use/3D Vision) and Samsung 46B650 @ 1080p24] [X-Fi Forte] [Pioneer Blu-ray BDC-S02] [Silverstone Strider 1500W] [Creative Gigaworks S750 7.1] [Windows 7 x64] 3DMark Vantage - 38010
XxDeadlyxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 01:12 AM   #36
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDeadlyxX
It still holds up after all these years
Yeah atleast they delivered what they promised heh

one thing i hate is the aiming + focus .. when i focus i almost lose sight of the enemy due to the weapon being at the middle & covering most of the screen.
it would've been much better if they used the same focusing method used in FarCry.