Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-20-07, 08:54 AM   #1
gelbasack

Default Twinview - dfp not recognized

Got two TFT panels (Daewoo L1711MN) connected on my 7300GT. I always had problems with the EDID of these panels (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70186) but they worked with the two options ConnectedMonitor "dfp,crt" and ExactModeTimingsDVI with drivers 1.0.8776 with an old Geforce 4 card.
Well, it's a 7300GT now and nothing works at all. When using the two above mentioned options the X server fails to start. It find's "Arnos Instruments L1711MN_ANALG" two times, one connected to DFP-0, one connected to CRT-0. When I remove these two lines the X server starts with 2560x1024 (sounds great) but only one monitor shows up, one stays black. It finds CRT-0 and CRT-1. The modelines should be correct, I created them and they worked with the other card. Even nvidia-settings and KDE show two monitors but one stays black (no, the monitor still works) and says "no signal" - no error concerning unsupported modes or anything.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (94.6 KB, 98 views)
gelbasack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-07, 11:44 AM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Twinview - dfp not recognized

I'm not really clear on the problem you're reporting. Are you stating that one of your DFPs is being detected as a CRT? What kind of cable are you using to attach your display devices to the graphics card?
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-07, 01:08 PM   #3
gelbasack

I'm using a VGA and a DVI cable. No adapters. The monitor connected with the VGA cable does work fine, the other one gets no signal. But I didn't get any errors, Xinerama from KDE works, shows 2560x1024 as resolution. The only thing I found was that there are CRT-0 and CRT-1 but no DFP-x. So I thought this could be the problem. But basically the problem is that the DVI-connected monitor gets no signal and I don't have any idea why.
Old 03-20-07, 01:12 PM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

The driver is detecting two identical CRTs and no DFPs. If you swap around the cables between the two displays, does the problem persist? If you swap connectors on the graphics card, does the problem persist?
Old 03-20-07, 01:30 PM   #5
gelbasack

How can I swap the connectors on the graphics card? It's one DVI and one VGA out. Yes, the monitors are identical TFT panels but connected in different ways. With the older drivers and the Geforce4 it's been CRT-0 and DFP-0 that's why I'm wondering.
Yes, problem persists when swapping the monitors.
Old 03-20-07, 01:34 PM   #6
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I wasn't aware that the graphics card only had a single DVI connector. Does anything appear on the DFP before X starts (during POST, and boot)?
Old 03-20-07, 01:36 PM   #7
gelbasack

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
I wasn't aware that the graphics card only had a single DVI connector. Does anything appear on the DFP before X starts (during POST, and boot)?
Only something like no signal going to standby from the panel's OSD.
Old 03-20-07, 01:38 PM   #8
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

If the DFP never displays anything then this is not a driver bug.

Old 03-20-07, 01:42 PM   #9
gelbasack

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
If the DFP never displays anything then this is not a driver bug.
Hmm.. it's been like that with the Geforce4 and older drivers, too. But using correct modelines and strange options like mentioned in the first post made it work. Otherwise it did not display anything.
So do you think the card is broken?
Old 03-20-07, 01:47 PM   #10
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

The card, its VBIOS or something else. The only thing that seems certain is that the driver isn't causing the problem, as it exists before the driver (or OS) is even loaded.

If the card is under warranty, you might try getting it replaced or reporting the issue to the card vendor.
Old 03-21-07, 03:18 AM   #11
gelbasack

Thanks for your very fast help yesterday. I found the problem: the TFT panels. I attached another panel on DVI at X startup and it worked. Then I attached the not-working-panel and it worked, too. I just can't start up X with this panel.
Is there a way to say the drivers that they should start up X like the other monitor was attached? It's no driver bug, but such an option would be great (or am I the only one with such broken monitors?)

Even tried installing Windows, installation shows up on the VGA-connected monitor but when booting both screens are black after this Windows booting scroll bar. I thought only the DVI was broken on the panels, seems like VGA is broken, too.