Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-29-07, 06:07 AM   #13
iro

Default Re: Screen stays black after switching virtual console or after quitting Xorg

version 96.43.01 works fine.
Any chance nvidia Linux drivers writers can comment on this problem? (a "will never be fixed" would be satisfactory to me)
iro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-07, 01:37 PM   #14
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Screen stays black after switching virtual console or after quitting Xorg

This problem is very likely specific to your model of notebook. Assuming that you've already verified that you're using the latest BIOS, unless you're able & willing to ship your notebook so that it can be debugged, its unlikely that this can be debugged further by NVIDIA.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-07, 01:59 PM   #15
jzxu

I get the same problem with a Quadro NVS 140M on a Thinkpad T61 and the 100.14.19 driver.
jzxu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-07, 05:37 AM   #16
ekerazha

I never had this problem with previous driver versions. I have now this problem with the 100.14.19 driver (on GeForce FX 5200).
ekerazha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-07, 11:30 AM   #17
pedroche

Unhappy Re: Screen stays black after switching virtual console or after quitting Xorg

I have the same problem with a 8800 GTS in a desktop, using 100.14.19 x86-64 under Ubuntu.
pedroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-07, 07:47 AM   #18
martini

i have a similar problem since using newer drivers: my screen isnt black if i switch back to the virtual consoles after starting x. the screen shows some funny colors. but the colors are structured. also the colors seem to oscillate between lighter and darker (it takes about 10 seconds to fade from darker to lighter).
@nvidia: is this also a problem which is probably caused by my special notebook hardware? (fujitsu siemens amilo m3438).
nvidia bug report attached
Attached Files
File Type: bz2 nvidia-bug-report.log.bz2 (24.4 KB, 157 views)
martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-07, 01:05 AM   #19
hussam

Same problem here on a 7300GT. Anyway I can report this to nvidia?
hussam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-07, 09:17 AM   #20
martini

here are 3 pictures i made of the screens. one with the working x server and 2 after switching to console. maybe this helps to solve the problem.
http://www.fs.tum.de/~schreibm/private/nvidia/

Old 10-08-07, 03:07 PM   #21
Bernd Stuht

I have had the Problem that the Screen goes/stays black after switching from Console
back to x - i 've read about some solutions, removing of vga=031a in /boot/grub/menu.lst
seems to solved my Problem - but with C64 like console Letters ;-).
The Error does not appear the last about 6 trys.

System OpenSuse 10.3 - compiz Fusion - nvidia 100.14.19
Hardware: C2D6750, 8600GTS.
An Error with the Screenblanker also does not appear anymore ( wrong Size - only
a Part of the Screen is blanked - sometimes the System crashed whlle reactivating.
Bernd Stuht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-07, 03:10 PM   #22
martini

the error on my nb occures with vesa fb and also with the non-fb-whatever-standard-big-letter console
Old 10-09-07, 01:38 AM   #23
Bernd Stuht

Small correction: some Blankermodules from KDE still crashes my System,
but not with black Screen - Screen freezes only, Mouse is visual and moveable.
The Rest ist Death ! ( sshlogin not yet tested - blind console does not work )
I have changed the random Blanker to an working one - The moving Clock ;-) .
Letīs see if this is stable now... .
It does not seems that 3D Blanker Modules crash my System - some 3d Blankers
worked - the White one with Lines ( i have to look for the Name of it ) cashes my
System most of the Time. ( Is this an 3D - i do not think so... ).

Bernd
Bernd Stuht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-07, 01:32 PM   #24
Leech

Here's what I've noticed in regards of this behavior.

If I have a secondary monitor connected, regardless of if it is configured in Xorg, the virtual console appears on it, instead of the connected LCD.

This is a problem with the driver preferring a CRT as opposed to an LCD for the console, as soon as X is loaded. I have no idea why exactly, but hopefully that will help resolve this bug for someone.

Leech
Leech is offline   Reply With Quote