Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-01-07, 06:37 AM   #1
ninjagecko

Unhappy Suse 10.2: Can't install nVidia drivers. Tried Everything.

Hello.

I've tried for 13 hours (searching thousands of webpages) to install the nVidia drivers on OpenSuse 10.2. In a few minutes I'm going to install another OS... just letting people know what my problem was.

#1- Recommended Method: Yast

Installing via Yast doesn't work. The kernel module is installed, but cannot be mod-probed.

#2- Alternate Method: official installer from nVidia
Using the nVidia installer requires the proper kernel headers. It tries to find a pre-compiled header from nVidia's website, but fails. It attempts to build the drivers from source -- this clearly requires the kernel headers.

I acquire (using yast or smart) the package "linux-kernel-headers". I look in /lib/modules/... and find the version number: it matches `uname -s` except for the "-default" suffix. When the installer tries to build the drivers, it always returns the same error: [I can't find the kernel headers ... linux.h ... they're not in the directory]. Indeed, linux.h is nowhere to be found, except for /usr/include/linux. I thus try to point the installer to various other directories which actually have a kernel.h file, but to no avail -- in those cases, the installer complains that it can't be certain of the version of the headers, and quits. (There is no 'force' option.)

I heard of someone getting past this problem, but they said they simply did an "online update" -- which I haven't been able to do (because there's nothing to update).

#3- Miscellaneous Methods: tiny-nvidia-installer, etc.

I found one or two websites which claimed Suse has a built-in installer. Either it doesn't exist or it disappeared in 10.2...

I've found a few dozen posts about this problem online, some in this very forum, but none have come to reasonable solutions. They just trail off...
ninjagecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-07, 12:48 PM   #2
adamk75

Default Re: Suse 10.2: Can't install nVidia drivers. Tried Everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjagecko
Hello.

I've tried for 13 hours (searching thousands of webpages) to install the nVidia drivers on OpenSuse 10.2. In a few minutes I'm going to install another OS... just letting people know what my problem was.

Installing via Yast doesn't work. The kernel module is installed, but cannot be mod-probed.
What do you mean by it can't be mod-probed? What errors are you getting if you try and modprobe it?

Quote:

#2- Alternate Method: official installer from nVidia
Using the nVidia installer requires the proper kernel headers. It tries to find a pre-compiled header from nVidia's website, but fails. It attempts to build the drivers from source -- this clearly requires the kernel headers.

I acquire (using yast or smart) the package "linux-kernel-headers". I look in /lib/modules/... and find the version number: it matches `uname -s` except for the "-default" suffix. When the installer tries to build the drivers, it always returns the same error: [I can't find the kernel headers ... linux.h ... they're not in the directory]. Indeed, linux.h is nowhere to be found, except for /usr/include/linux. I thus try to point the installer to various other directories which actually have a kernel.h file, but to no avail -- in those cases, the installer complains that it can't be certain of the version of the headers, and quits. (There is no 'force' option.)

I heard of someone getting past this problem, but they said they simply did an "online update" -- which I haven't been able to do (because there's nothing to update).
Try grabbing the kernel-source package and see if that allows the installer to build the module.

Adam
adamk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-07, 02:24 PM   #3
kriko
openSuSE11

You need kernel-source package, e.g.:
#smart install kernel-source
kriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-07, 11:40 AM   #4
F. W. Kooistra

[quote=ninjagecko]Hello.

==-=-

I just installed five machines with the yast method , from the same source in one hour.

All worked but one: NVDIA driver indeed.
Mine is CPU: AMD-64 X2 :MB: Asus MN2e Vidoecard: asus card with 7300 chipset.
The nvidia.ko has the right version number (same as kernel) but does not load.
Error message from X :
engine not found (after the nvidia.ko is loaded)
and later :

No screens.
abort back to terminal screen
Removing the driver ( de install with yast) makes all work
Unaccelerated.

Maybe you ventilate your method and see where you go wrong..
Mention versions of CPU Motherboard card
Installation method , installation source..

You are wrong if you say there is nothing to update : if your source is a CD or dvd image.. Right if you did a network install : but even than there is an update in the process
regards

Frank
Old 03-22-07, 04:49 PM   #5
BDNiner

I have the same problem i have the 7300gt and have not been able to install the drivers. i run into issues at the modprobe step. I will post the exact errors when i get home from work and have them infront of me. my co worker has a system with a 7300gs and that worked fine on the first try, 3d desktop and everything.
BDNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-07, 06:29 PM   #6
BDNiner

The exact error I received is "Fatal:Error inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/2.6.18.8-0.1-default/weak-updates/nvidia.ko):No such device.
BDNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-07, 06:31 PM   #7
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Please attach the installer log.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-07, 07:04 PM   #8
Parox

I am currently running the 1.0-9746 drivers in Suse 10.2. Here is what I remember doing to install the nvidia drivers. The procedure changes slightly each release.

1. Install the kernel-source package. Open YaST2, change the Filter drop down to read “Patterns”. Look for Development in the Pattern window on the left. I always install all the packages under C/C++ Development and Linux Kernel Development. This may prompt for your install disks.

2. execute the following from a command prompt. X can not be running:

su
cd /usr/src/linux
make cloneconfig
make prepare-all
cd /(go the directory you keep the nvidia driver .run file)
./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9746-pkg1.run –kernel-source-path=/usr/src/linux (that is two dashes in front of kernel)
modprobe nvidia
sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia (0 is a digit, not a letter)

At this point you should be able to exit out of su and then startx
Parox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-07, 07:08 PM   #9
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

If you need to supply the installer's –kernel-source-path option to install the nvidia driver with an official SuSE kernel, then you're doing something wrong.

See:
http://www.suse.de/~sndirsch/nvidia-...ler-HOWTO.html
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote