Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-28-07, 01:24 PM   #49
nicorulez
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Flo Rida
Posts: 195
Default Re: Funny how the 360 is the more expensive next gen console

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor1182
shush, don't use facts or logic around him, they hurt his head.
You are an idiot. It was a software update that enabled 1080P. If it was purely hardware based, it would have supported it natively via the component. The upscaler was capable so in that sense yes. However, without the software/firmware update it was not natively enabled. Regardless, HDMI is still superior to both VGA and component. Why would MS suddenly feel the need to release a HDMI pwered ultra elite system if it was not. You need to read a little. Both of you are fools, and I love getting your goat.
nicorulez is offline  
Old 03-28-07, 01:37 PM   #50
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?
 
thor1182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Indy, IN
Posts: 812
Default Re: Funny how the 360 is the more expensive next gen console

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicorulez
You are an idiot. It was a software update that enabled 1080P. If it was purely hardware based, it would have supported it natively via the component. The upscaler was capable so in that sense yes. However, without the software/firmware update it was not natively enabled. Regardless, HDMI is still superior to both VGA and component. Why would MS suddenly feel the need to release a HDMI pwered ultra elite system if it was not. You need to read a little. Both of you are fools, and I love getting your goat.
I'm sorry master if I have misspoken... please show me the true way of being a forum troll idiot.

They released one because they saw people wanted one. I mean heaven forbid a company tries to be agile and make sure they give consumers what they want. We can go all day about timing and pricing, but the HDMI part is silly. I can let evilchris talk to why HDMI is bad.

You can count on your fingers the amount of 1080p TV's that support that res via VGA. So yeah, if they really want to enable people to use 1080p, they are in the situation of having to release a HDMI version.
__________________
-"Aqua 2": Water Cooled Intel i7 960, 12 GB DDR3 PC 12800, 3x Intel X-25-M 80 GB SSD RAID 0, SATA 1.5TB WD, EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Supper Clocked Water Cooled, ASUS P6X58D, Corsair 800D w/ Koolance cooling
thor1182 is offline  
Old 03-28-07, 01:46 PM   #51
Zelda_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,299
Default Re: Funny how the 360 is the more expensive next gen console

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor1182
I'm sorry master if I have misspoken... please show me the true way of being a forum troll idiot.
lmao. So many great slams as of late, but only 1 sig.

Quote:
They released one because they saw people wanted one. I mean heaven forbid a company tries to be agile and make sure they give consumers what they want. We can go all day about timing and pricing, but the HDMI part is silly. I can let evilchris talk to why HDMI is bad.

You can count on your fingers the amount of 1080p TV's that support that res via VGA. So yeah, if they really want to enable people to use 1080p, they are in the situation of having to release a HDMI version.
I am fortunate to have a TV that does 1080p over VGA. But as far as movies and games go, there is very little difference between 1080i and 1080p, especially considering most 360 games are rendered at 720p.
Zelda_fan is offline  
Old 03-28-07, 01:48 PM   #52
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy
 
Ninjaman09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Jowjah
Posts: 6,687
Default Re: Funny how the 360 is the more expensive next gen console

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicorulez
I find it quite hilarious that people are ripping Sony for the PS3. It is at least as powerful as the 360, and once the programmers get the hang of it I suspect more powerful. Sure, it may be 200 bucks more for the 60GB version, but it has a Blu Ray player built in. More over, in the latest Perfect Vision magazine it is considered one of the best Blu Ray players on the market; cost not considered. Now take the 360. It has no HDMI. Big strike for all of you videophiles. Then, it has a measly 20GB hard drive. Now the insult, in a lot of online websites, its DVD (not even HD DVD) player is one of the worst they have ever seen. I can attest to this personally; it is awful.

Now the kicker, MS knows that eventually Sony is going to take hold and kick their ars. So, they are now releasing a 360Ultra (Nvidia....you can sue) with a 120 GB hard drive and HDMI. How nice of them. They only want 479 dollars. Boy, that is cheaper than the PS3, but what about the early adopters. They are SOL. Morevoer, the 120 GB hard drive is going to be sold independently for around 150 - 200 bucks.

So, let us calculate this. A HD DVD add on for 200 bucks. The larger add on for 150 bucks (lets give MS a break). The core premium system for 399 bucks. That tally is over 750 bucks for a non-HDMI capable system....nice

So, to all you naysayers, the PS3 is going to win. I own both and like my 360. However, the PS3 on a 1080P capable television via HDMI is better. Once the games come out that emphasize the PS3 and not the 360; I surmise 18 months then you will see the PS3 developed for first and the 360 second.

BTW, Blu Ray is kicking HD DVD's ars and anyone who is not biased can really appreciate this. These PS3 is dead threads are laughable. The same shiat was spewed about the 360 when it first hit the market. BTW, the Wii is a Gamecube with a f__cked up control....it is butt ugly to look at.
OK?
__________________
Core i7 920 @ 3.2 | ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
6GB Mushkin DDR3-1600 RAM
eVGA GTX 570 SC | Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline  
Old 03-28-07, 01:51 PM   #53
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?
 
thor1182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Indy, IN
Posts: 812
Default Re: Funny how the 360 is the more expensive next gen console

I bought the one I did so I could get 1080p over VGA. In my head 1080p looks better than 1080i/720p did on my old TV, but I may be just convincing myself of that. Either way going from 34" to 56" is just purdy.
__________________
-"Aqua 2": Water Cooled Intel i7 960, 12 GB DDR3 PC 12800, 3x Intel X-25-M 80 GB SSD RAID 0, SATA 1.5TB WD, EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Supper Clocked Water Cooled, ASUS P6X58D, Corsair 800D w/ Koolance cooling
thor1182 is offline  
Old 03-28-07, 02:24 PM   #54
superbooga
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 95
Default Re: Funny how the 360 is the more expensive next gen console

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicorulez
You are an idiot. It was a software update that enabled 1080P. If it was purely hardware based, it would have supported it natively via the component. The upscaler was capable so in that sense yes. However, without the software/firmware update it was not natively enabled.
First of all, I am an embedded systems engineer. I can tell you that everything I say is common sense to an embedded systems engineer.

In a computer system there are very few components that are purely hardware based. Video output is not one of them; it is not transparent to software (as in it is not purely abstracted and hidden from software).

The GPU will typically output a digital signal to a TV encoder or other DAC-type device, which will convert it to an analog video signal. While the logic for sending the data is done in hardware, the control of the GPU and TV encoder (setting the video format, resolution, resetting the device, etc.) is done in software.

It is very very unlikely that Sony or Microsoft would control the TV encoder with pure hardware. First of all, this is not a very flexible solution -- if something goes wrong or a feature is missing, the silicon needs to be redone. Also, it's a waste of transistors to implement this sort of functionality in hardware.

If you still don't understand:
PS3 supports 1080P via HDMI. Is this purely hardware-based? The answer is a resounding NO. There has to be software/firmware to enable it. And you know what? THERE'S NOTHING WRONG ABOUT THIS! No capable engineer or company (I'm sure Sony engineers are quite talented) would choose to control video output purely in hardware.
superbooga is offline  
Old 03-28-07, 02:26 PM   #55
Ancient
Occasional User
 
Ancient's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Too far from the beach
Posts: 619
Default Re: Funny how the 360 is the more expensive next gen console

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicorulez
You are an idiot. It was a software update that enabled 1080P. If it was purely hardware based, it would have supported it natively via the component. The upscaler was capable so in that sense yes. However, without the software/firmware update it was not natively enabled. Regardless, HDMI is still superior to both VGA and component. Why would MS suddenly feel the need to release a HDMI pwered ultra elite system if it was not. You need to read a little. Both of you are fools, and I love getting your goat.
I don't think "natively" means what you think it means.

MS did not have 1080p enabled. However, the XBOX 360 still had a native 1080p implementation because the graphics chipset supported it all along. It was merely a matter of enabling the functionality when the need arose. Nor can it be "purely hardware based" because resolution is a function of both hardware and drivers.

btw, as angry as you come off with your replies it seems you're the one whose goad has been gotten. Chill out. They're gaming consoles, not life or death.
__________________
"You know the difference between cannibals and liberals? Cannibals only eat their enemies."
Ancient is offline  
Old 03-28-07, 02:36 PM   #56
Zelda_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,299
Default Re: Funny how the 360 is the more expensive next gen console

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient
I don't think "natively" means what you think it means.

MS did not have 1080p enabled. However, the XBOX 360 still had a native 1080p implementation because the graphics chipset supported it all along. It was merely a matter of enabling the functionality when the need arose. Nor can it be "purely hardware based" because resolution is a function of both hardware and drivers.

btw, as angry as you come off with your replies it seems you're the one whose goad has been gotten. Chill out. They're gaming consoles, not life or death.
that's where you're wrong. Gaming composes 60% of NicoruleZ's life. The other 30% being sleep, 5% to eating, and another 5% to masturbation.
Zelda_fan is offline  

Old 03-28-07, 02:40 PM   #57
Zelda_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,299
Default Re: Funny how the 360 is the more expensive next gen console

Found a video of NicoruleZ playing counterstrike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_VtIkF8pDY
Zelda_fan is offline  
Old 03-28-07, 02:44 PM   #58
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: Funny how the 360 is the more expensive next gen console

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86
my 360 was $400 and it plays all the same games and outputs 1920x1200 resolution via a VGA cable on my 2407.

just cause their second revision with a 120GB hard drive is going to be more than a PS3 youre like "OMG, M$ IZ T3H SUX0RRZ!!!". then you say the Wii is a POS because its ugly and has "****ed up control"?

here i have something for you......



check out the link in my sig. youll see that your "M1Gh7Y PS3" is not as great as sony told you it was. its debatable as to whether or not Gears of War will even run on the PS3.

you know what the funniest part is, is that the "PS3 is dead" thread was actually a thread posted by a guy telling ppl that his PS3 died and he was sending it back for repairs and was asking for some comments/suggestions. the dude actually owns a PS3. so this thread that you created is pointless, and merely wasting space.

way to go!
man, i thought i shut this troll up with this post that i put up a while ago.

guess i should never underestimate a troll. also, the link in my sig is indeed real and compares the processor capabilities of both, the OS, and the graphics power both consoles have. the PS3 is not as mighty as Sony would have you believe.
ViN86 is offline  
Old 03-28-07, 02:52 PM   #59
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: Funny how the 360 is the more expensive next gen console

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicorulez
You are an idiot. It was a software update that enabled 1080P. If it was purely hardware based, it would have supported it natively via the component. The upscaler was capable so in that sense yes. However, without the software/firmware update it was not natively enabled. Regardless, HDMI is still superior to both VGA and component. Why would MS suddenly feel the need to release a HDMI pwered ultra elite system if it was not. You need to read a little. Both of you are fools, and I love getting your goat.
you do realize that 1080i and 1080p are both the same resolution (1920x1080) right?

(i = interlaced, p = progressive)
ViN86 is offline  
Old 03-28-07, 03:03 PM   #60
Marvel_us
FOOL!
 
Marvel_us's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 3,754
Default Re: Funny how the 360 is the more expensive next gen console

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86
man, i thought i shut this troll up with this post that i put up a while ago.

guess i should never underestimate a troll. also, the link in my sig is indeed real and compares the processor capabilities of both, the OS, and the graphics power both consoles have. the PS3 is not as mighty as Sony would have you believe.
You do know that Gears of War story was debunked along time ago, right?

The PS3 has more than 256mb of RAM so that story doesn't hold. Epic even said that they'd match the Gears of War quality with UT3 on PS3. If you read over at Beyond3D you'll see that most of the guys there agree that while the PS3 is not flat out more powerful than the 360 it isn't underpowered by any means. Then take into account that top devs such as Sweeney, Carmack, Jaffe etc have also said PS3 has the edge but brought up the difficulty bit.

Before someone starts talking about how Jaffe is a Sony dev also remember Jaffe is known for giving it straight. He flat out admitted that he played Gears of War more than any PS3 game and that Sony's online sucked.
__________________
Main Rig
Intel Q6600 QUAD|| Gigabyte P35-DS3L ||XFX 7900GTX|| G.Skill 6GB PC2-6400 || OCZ Agility 60GB SSD || WD 320GB + WD Green 1TB HDD || Samsung 20" LCD || CoolMax 650W PSU ||

60gb PS3 Owner
PSNid: Marvel_us
Marvel_us is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Console Killers News Archived News Items 0 06-11-12 10:10 PM
Epic Games on next gen console specs Logical Console World 5 05-24-12 04:17 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.