Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-29-07, 02:47 PM   #1
Redeemed

Default Thinking of selling some speakers...

Hey all, I'm considering selling my old LXI's. And yes, they are old. Here's some pics of one of 'em:

My camera sucks with close-up shots, sorry. If you need to know anything about the frequencies and db just let me know-

Anyhow, I've kind of out grown these speakers. They've been great for the 7 or so years I've had them. Their sound is awesome, in just quality alone they rival what you'll hear at the theater- just only a fraction as loud though. Anywho- I'm just wondering what you guys think I should ask for them. I don't consider my self and audiophile by any means... and I know compared to newer floor standing speakers these are probably rather crappy- due to them using paper cones and also taking up so much space. But hey, the upside to thier size is you can use them as shelves. You'll notice in one of the above pics I've got the speaker next to a computer tower to help show it's size. Any how, here are some specs:

The speakers are 3-way, High-fidelity bass reflex with 12" woofer, 4 1/2" midrange, and a 3 1/2" tweeter. They are rated at 100 watts each, 8 ohm input, 2/10 KHz crossover frequence- any other info you need to guage a price, just let me know. I realise I'm not going to be getting much- but a little is better than nothing.

Oh, I also have the stereo that originaly accompanied these speakers. The amp must be connected to the dual cassette deck, 5-ban graphic stereo equalize, and FM/AM tuner in order for it to work. It's one of those annoying kind of amps that wont run seperated from the other components. But, it puts out great sound quality and moderately high volumes. It is a 200 watt amp (100w x 2). As of now, the stereo is not for sale, though that may change. If interested, I still have the original stereo case (you know, the old wooden shelving with the glass front that houses the stereo components) and all the original documentation for the stereo and speakers. The only item I no longer have is the record player as it died long ago.

Thanks for all your input.

-Edit:

I did not put this in the F/S Forum cause they aren't for sale yet- I put this thread here cause I'm merely trying to find out what I should ask for them. Also, once a price is established, I'll be needing some advice about my plans for my audio setup- but that can come after a price for these speakers is established. Thanks again for all your input.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-07, 03:23 PM   #2
Rakeesh

Default Re: Thinking of selling some speakers...

I don't know about selling that, but as far as what you are going to replace it with, I keep hearing rave reviews about onix speakers from pretty much every audio related forum I currently regular at, and they are relatively inexpensive. I am thinking I am going to buy a 5.1 set of their low end (x-series) speakers myself.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-07, 03:33 PM   #3
Tr1cK
not coming back

I think you're better off keeping them.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-07, 05:41 PM   #4
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
I don't know about selling that, but as far as what you are going to replace it with, I keep hearing rave reviews about onix speakers from pretty much every audio related forum I currently regular at, and they are relatively inexpensive. I am thinking I am going to buy a 5.1 set of their low end (x-series) speakers myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1cK
I think you're better off keeping them.
I cannot keep them. If I do, they'll end up getting blown- trust me.

Anyhow, here are some pics of the speakers that will replace them.

The replacements are the ones on the left. The boxes are some old Fisher boxes I found at a second hand shop- in mint condition, just missing the original speakers. So I bought two 15s for each box and have just been using them as subs for now... but they'll soon become my new front pair. My only problem is the source for my speakers is no longer available... so I'm wondering where to go to get the full range and tweeter. I've thought about using some car speakers that support 8-ohm input, but I've noticed those tend to cost more than just regular 4-ohm car speakers.

So, I guess what I'm asking is this- how much do you guys think these LXI's will go for, and where would be the best place to get the full-range and tweeter for my new fronts? Would it be okay to use 8-ohm car speakers?

Thanks again for your advice.
Old 06-29-07, 07:03 PM   #5
Tr1cK
not coming back

I just didn't think you would get much for the LXIs.

Anywho, you have to match the ohm load to the system. If it's an 8 ohm stereo then your total impedance from the speakers needs to equal that. A regular old multimeter is a good device to check ohm loads. You also must watch how you wire the speakers together as to not throw the ohm load off.

Two 8 ohm woofers wired in parallel together actually is a 4 ohm load, if you wire them in series, you will make it a 16 ohm load. The same goes for 4 ohm woofers...wired in parallel will produce 2 ohms, wired in series will produce 8 ohms. This is a trick amp makers use to produce more power. If you put a lower ohm load on the amplifier, it will output more power because of less resistance. You just have to make sure you amplifier is rated for it or risk a chance of something frying.
Old 06-29-07, 07:13 PM   #6
Rakeesh

How much did you spend on the new speakers? And btw is this for an HTPC?

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-07, 03:46 AM   #7
Redeemed

Quote:
I just didn't think you would get much for the LXIs.

Anywho, you have to match the ohm load to the system. If it's an 8 ohm stereo then your total impedance from the speakers needs to equal that. A regular old multimeter is a good device to check ohm loads. You also must watch how you wire the speakers together as to not throw the ohm load off.

Two 8 ohm woofers wired in parallel together actually is a 4 ohm load, if you wire them in series, you will make it a 16 ohm load. The same goes for 4 ohm woofers...wired in parallel will produce 2 ohms, wired in series will produce 8 ohms. This is a trick amp makers use to produce more power. If you put a lower ohm load on the amplifier, it will output more power because of less resistance. You just have to make sure you amplifier is rated for it or risk a chance of something frying.
That is some awesome info dude- thanks so much. For the longest time Ohms has actually had me confused. Okay, since you mentioned it, could I get some more info from ya'? Here goes:

This is my center speaker that I've been using for several years now-

That is actually a truck speaker box- with two speaker-wire terminals (one per-side). If you look close enough, you can actually see speaker wire coming out of either side. I have the speaker wire feeding into the center speaker output on my reciever. Since that box is rated at 300 watts/ 4-ohm load, and my reciever outputs 100 watts/8-ohm, I just assumed to never pump more than 75-watts to that speaker since it is recieving at 8-ohm signal. So far I've had zero issues, and there have been many times when I've had this system cranked way up, never any popping, gurgling or any other form of distortion or reason for concern. Was I wrong in my assumption? Is my amp actually going to be pumping out more to that speaker than the rest? No where in the manual does it say anything about my reciever being able to handle anything other than an 8-ohm signal- would that be to prevent confusion for noobs like me? My reciever is far from top of the line:

(currently the equalizer seen here is not in use)

As to the LXI's, I know I wont be getting much, but I'd just like to know what the "experts" here think I could get for them- at best, and at worst. I was figuring anywhere from $25-$50 per speaker. Does that seem too high? I couldn't fathom $50 for the pair being too steep, these are still awesome speakers for anybody that doesn't mind their size and limit of 100-watts power handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1ck
So... let me ask you:

The speakers that will be replacing my LXI's- right now it is just a 15" woofer per box, rated at 300 watts max, 150 watts RMS, 8-ohm load. What would happen if I wired (in a series) two 4-ohm car speakers (a tweeter and a full-range) to the 8-ohm woofer- would that make it 16 ohm all together (or would the 8-ohm woofer cancel it all out and make it 4-ohm again)? Thus meaning more resistance (if it would creat a 16-ohm load) causing the amp to work harder to pump out is rated wattage, correct? Could I device my own "Crossover", where the woofer gets its own signal, not being directly connected to the car speakers, but then having the two car speakers connected together in a series to form an 8-ohm load, and then running the two car speakers in parallel to the woofer? Would that work?

Okay, originally I got these speakers from Radio Shack... several years ago. Radio Shack no longer sells speakers like these. So that is why I need to find an alternate source for the two midranges and tweeters (one midrange and tweeter per box).

To clarify how my setup is currently-

I have the two LXI's I'm wanting to sell hooked up to the reciever I posted a pic of above, they are being used as my "front" speakers. That truck speaker is my "center" speaker, and then I have two 4-way tower speakers as my "surrounds" (If you want a picture of both of these tower speakers just let me know, currently I only have a pic of this one):

Those "5" (I put 5 in quotes cause my center speaker is actually two but I have it wired as 1) speakers are running through the 5.1ch surround sound reciever I posted the pic of above. For my subs, I'm using those the 15's I posted pics of earlier. I have two of those Fisher boxes, each having a single 15" woofer. I have both of those hooked up to this amp:

That amp is connected to the sub pre-out on my 5.1 channel reciever. I have the treble turned down, the bass up, and the loudness on. Unfortunately, that amp is no longer working- which considering that I've had it since I was about 14 (I'm 20 now), and would regularly have my music, games, and movies playing extremely loud- it was just a matter of time before it went. It did 130 watts x2 @ 8-ohm. Since each 15" was rated at 150 watts RMS that seemed to be the perfect combination (that amp plus those speakers). Overall, this setup has worked unbelievably well. It will easily drown out the $600 sound system I have in the living room, even with all the doors between my bedroom and the living room closed. No, I haven't had any neighbors complain yet- the neighbors to our left ocassionaly blares rock n roll, and the neighbor to our right is is a stock car racer. So this neighborhood is accustomed to loud noises.

Anyhow, thanks again for all your input- I really do appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
How much did you spend on the new speakers? And btw is this for an HTPC?
Not a whole lot actually. The two Fisher speaker boxes I bought for only $20, and the two 15's I bought for like $80 about 4 years ago. The two 4-way towers I'm running as my surrounds were just given to me by a friend. I replaced the mid-ranges with some from Radio Shack (about $60 for the both of them), and then the 12" woofers I replaced with two from RadioShack (about $75 for both of them). Out of all my speakers, I love my two towers the most. Those things are relentless. They'll kick like a mule and keep begging for more. I'm not sure if the wattage rating on the speaker box refers to just the speaker's or crossover's maximal load- but so far I've pumped a continues 130watts to each one, not a single pop or hint of distortion. My buddy was over and dared me to try it, I did, and even side by side yelling at each other we still couldn't here one another. These things put out so much boom it rattled the cover for my bedroom light off (it was glass, and just screwed in), as well as rattling the vents in all the bedrooms loose. I don't think I'll ever part with these tower speakers. I'd give up my computer before these beauties.

And it isn't for an HTPC per-se. I do have it hooked up for my computer, which is what I use for gaming, movies, music- everything. That is why you do not see a cassette deck or CD-changer- I have no need for either. So, I guess that in a way it is for HTPC, sort of.
Old 06-30-07, 09:45 AM   #8
Tr1cK
not coming back

O....K. LOL.

For the center speaker, which I assume has one output from the amp, and two inputs to the speaker. The simple thing to do is run the + from the amp to one of the + on the speaker, run the - from the amp to the - on the other terminal, then run a single wire between the + of of the one terminal to the - of the other terminal. That is series wiring which will make the amp see it as a single speaker with an 8 ohm load. Much like this:

As for the full range boxes, wiring isn't generally as tricky as you think. Tweeters typically don't throw the ohm load off much. I would highly recommend getting a $20 multimeter from anywhere (I got mine from an auto parts store) and check the ohm loads while building the setup.

Here is an article on wiring and ohm loads:
http://www.termpro.com/articles/spkrz.html

For crossovers, I would only really worry about it on your stuff like midranges and tweeters. A simple passive crossover consisting of a single capacitor each will probably be sufficient.
Check this link:http://www.bcae1.com/passxovr.htm

I would get into it more with you, but I have to get ready to go to the Richmond Indy race today.

Old 06-30-07, 10:50 AM   #9
betterdan

I just want to know what that can labeled "Size does matter" is doing on your equalizer, and what exactly is it?
Old 06-30-07, 01:03 PM   #10
Redeemed

Quote:
O....K. LOL.

For the center speaker, which I assume has one output from the amp, and two inputs to the speaker. The simple thing to do is run the + from the amp to one of the + on the speaker, run the - from the amp to the - on the other terminal, then run a single wire between the + of of the one terminal to the - of the other terminal. That is series wiring which will make the amp see it as a single speaker with an 8 ohm load. Much like this:

As for the full range boxes, wiring isn't generally as tricky as you think. Tweeters typically don't throw the ohm load off much. I would highly recommend getting a $20 multimeter from anywhere (I got mine from an auto parts store) and check the ohm loads while building the setup.

Here is an article on wiring and ohm loads:
http://www.termpro.com/articles/spkrz.html

For crossovers, I would only really worry about it on your stuff like midranges and tweeters. A simple passive crossover consisting of a single capacitor each will probably be sufficient.
Check this link:http://www.bcae1.com/passxovr.htm

I would get into it more with you, but I have to get ready to go to the Richmond Indy race today.
Hey thanks- that's great info. I'll go ahead and wire my center like that. I appreciate that input.

Would you mind assisting me with this a bit later once you have more time? You really do seem to know what you're talking about, and I'm open to all the advice I can get. In the mean time, I'll read through those links you provided.

Thanks again Trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan
I just want to know what that can labeled "Size does matter" is doing on your equalizer, and what exactly is it?
It's a mug holder. It has a picture of a pickup truck with a lift kit and mud tires- and it says "PICKUP TRUCKS PROVE THAT SIZE DOES MATTER!". I bought that at a local monster truck show a few years back.
Old 06-30-07, 01:15 PM   #11
betterdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed

It's a mug holder. It has a picture of a pickup truck with a lift kit and mud tires- and it says "PICKUP TRUCKS PROVE THAT SIZE DOES MATTER!". I bought that at a local monster truck show a few years back.
Ok cool. I was worried it was some sexual lube to make your winky bigger or something and I was gonna tell you that stuff doesn't work, just look at Gib.
Old 06-30-07, 02:46 PM   #12
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan
Ok cool. I was worried it was some sexual lube to make your winky bigger or something and I was gonna tell you that stuff doesn't work, just look at Gib.

For some odd reason, I knew that is what you more than likely thought it was.